Usage after demise: Hacking receiver's and DVR's firmware for something else?

For those members who have the Orby DVR, does your OTA DVR function still work? I know they charged a monthly fee for OTA only recording but the decent thing to do would have been to at least leave that functioning. It would be useful if we had information on OTA DVR usage comparing members who were connected to satellite and still had active service until last night compared to those who let their service end previously.
When this section of the forum began it was widely accepted that the OTA guide data was PSIP only but at some point the below quoted representative of the company posted that they sent down data for most channels over the satellite. So, the question of guide data and correct time needs to be addressed.
If this DVR indeed will operate as an OTA DVR with at least PSIP data I can see a pretty good market for those units. It certainly would beat the no-name "converter boxes" at the big box stores that are only one tuner, need an external hard drive and have generally very low customer ratings.
Yes, my program guide still works, and the record function works on OTA, and even records on satellite, but of course satellite recordings are blank.

Correct, hack talk for theft of service is absolutely not permitted here. If someone figured out a way to convert the box for ONLY free to air and ota then I don't think there would be an issue talking about it. In any case that firmware would need to offered elsewhere because firmware is no longer hosted here. Too many implications for the site if someone slips something by that promoted TOS.
Orby never rented equipment, so all of us who have a set top box, own that device. Therefore, taking steps to use that box for another purpose is theft of nothing at all. Even if orby was still alive and we found a way to use the box for Orby and something else too.

Reactions: truckracer
Orby never rented equipment, so all of us who have a set top box, own that device. Therefore, taking steps to use that box for another purpose is theft of nothing at all. Even if orby was still alive and we found a way to use the box for Orby and something else too.
First off, welcome to Satellite Guys! :)

It does not matter whether you own the box. Firmware can indeed be modified for purposes other than true FTA use. There are FTA boxes from China for sale on eBay that do this and we are not allowed to talk about them. If the firmware is modded for Theft Of Service then you can not talk about it here, period.

If the firmware can be modded to receive FTA channels then that is fine but anything else and you may find yourself on the outside looking in. ;)

I purchased a spare Orby DVR model receiver back when they were on special. I regret never getting it authorized when the service was still active. I connected it the other day to experiment with OTA and there is no bypass to the setup wizard. It gets to the screen where it finds the satellite TP OK, but finds no data to download and gets in a loop back to the previous step before it can scan the OTA channels or continue.

Since it's never updated, perhaps the ethernet port is still accessible as I read. Perhaps I can PuTTY into the box to get past the wizard command? It would be great if a modified E2 image could be written for it.

Anyone thinking about buying one for OTA DVR purposes should be sure to get one that was previously activated. Unless someone can write a new software version for the new units, those are door stops.

Reactions: FTA4PA
I have 3 orby boxes from my parents. The tuner isn't the best for OTA but they do a nice job with the on screen guide, so it would be awesome if someone developed a firmware upgrade that removed the orby related items to use the box solely as an ATSC tuner. I have old US Digital tuner boxes which for 2004 were revolutionary at the time. 1080i HD output via component and an awesome onscreen guide which I still think hasn't been rivaled. of course, somebody modified the software to remove the US digital components and greatly enhance the functionality of the boxes. I hope somebody can do the same for these! I gladly pay a small donation fee to obtain modified software.

Reactions: FTA4PA and Mister B
I have 3 orby boxes from my parents. The tuner isn't the best for OTA but they do a nice job with the on screen guide, so it would be awesome if someone developed a firmware upgrade that removed the orby related items to use the box solely as an ATSC tuner. I have old US Digital tuner boxes which for 2004 were revolutionary at the time. 1080i HD output via component and an awesome onscreen guide which I still think hasn't been rivaled. of course, somebody modified the software to remove the US digital components and greatly enhance the functionality of the boxes. I hope somebody can do the same for these! I gladly pay a small donation fee to obtain modified software.
Welcome to Satellite Guys djbrian! I have four Orbys myself. At least one member here mentioned that he would take a look at the box to see if he can modify the firmware. I am still using our boxes for OTA but there was an issue with one of ours a while back which required the box to be reset. At that time Orby customer service was still available. I'm afraid that without a firmware rewrite the box will be useless next time that happens because after a reset it will be stuck at the setup screen for acquiring a satellite signal that no longers exists. If we can get new firmware then we can use it for OTA without issue. I would also like to see legal FTA reception added to new firmware as well. :)

Reactions: TV Junkie
It seems to me that modifying the Orby firmware for general purpose FTA would be nearly impossible. I don't have an Orby receiver, but the firmware loader probably expects an encrypted firmware image.

Even if it isn't encrypted, it's machine language (not human readable source code).

Getting the Orby to function as a general purpose FTA receiver would only be possible with help and cooperation from the Orby engineers who designed it.

It seems to me that modifying the Orby firmware for general purpose FTA would be nearly impossible. I don't have an Orby receiver, but the firmware loader probably expects an encrypted firmware image.

Even if it isn't encrypted, it's machine language (not human readable source code).

Getting the Orby to function as a general purpose FTA receiver would only be possible with help and cooperation from the Orby engineers who designed it.
Party pooper! :D

I can appreciate what you're saying but I offer a counter view.

To think that not only the engineering but also the security of orby's best efforts top the likes of apple (cracked), nintendo (cracked), sony (cracked), microsoft (cracked), etc. Man, I don't know friend. That just doesn't seem reasonable. :drunk

I can appreciate what you're saying but I offer a counter view.

To think that not only the engineering but also the security of orby's best efforts top the likes of apple (cracked), nintendo (cracked), sony (cracked), microsoft (cracked), etc. Man, I don't know friend. That just doesn't seem reasonable. :drunk
True, but all those you listed...There was financial gain as an incentive to hack. Where is the that with Orby?

No incentive at all. What would you get if you could? Another also-ran FTA receiver? Would be different it the thing did 4:2:2 or could resolve NBCs audio scheme but there is no advantage to hacking that box.

True, but all those you listed...There was financial gain as an incentive to hack. Where is the that with Orby?
No incentive at all. What would you get if you could? Another also-ran FTA receiver? Would be different it the thing did 4:2:2 or could resolve NBCs audio scheme but there is no advantage to hacking that box.
Wow! I thought the point of being a proud member of Satellite Guys was to accept challenges, not for financial gain or incentive, but to expand the hobby, to have fun - heck, just to see if it is possible. Sure, you will probably end up with just another FTA receiver but so what. I would try it if I had the skills but sadly I don't. Seems we are losing that pioneer spirit here that I remember from a few years ago. :(

I think you missed my point. We are sure not losing the pioneer spirit. :)
To Pioneer is to explore new areas or try new things. What will will gain from a receiver with no special abilities and no support?

SOME, of those were financially backed. Many were just industry hobbyists out to run "homebrew" first.
I understand that. The others did it just to show it could be done. But, there were millions of users and you get to see it make national news. ;)

Guys I am not trying to argue, I am just not wanting the new members to NOT get their hopes up. :)

I understand that. The others did it just to show it could be done. But, there were millions of users and you get to see it make national news. ;)

Guys I am not trying to argue, I am just not wanting the new members to NOT get their hopes up. :)
Oh nobody should get their hopes up, that's for sure. When it was an orby receiver it was mediocre at best. But hey it was $50 on sale and I had no complaints. Point is even if repurposed it will most likely be nothing more than another $50 fta box. We all probably already have a couple of those laying around so no big deal.

I was simply implying that if the titans could fall orby surely stands no chance should they be subjected to the same challenge. Yes, I doubt they will be.

I think you missed my point. We are sure not losing the pioneer spirit. :)
To Pioneer is to explore new areas or try new things.

I believe modding this receiver for FTA use is pioneering as it has not been done before. :)

What will will gain from a receiver with no special abilities and no support?

Another usable FTA receiver, actually four of them, that I already own. You can't have too many. ;)

I'm sure there was no financial gain for those who removed the US Digital stuff from those old receivers and made them really awesome OTA tuner boxes? Granted, non-activated boxes were functional as ATSC tuner boxes already, whereas the Orby boxes have to be activated first. Still, maybe someone out there has the smarts to find it relatively easy to reverse engineer the software and make it useful for someone!

I still use my US Digital boxes. I've had to replace some of the capacitors, but they still work and are just as if not more functional than the boxes out there now.

IMG_20210304_230004.jpg
IMG_20200607_234145698.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)