USALS - Can it be used with SG2100 motor and Hotdish 75?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

greyskies

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 16, 2004
sunny South Florida
Question, now that I have 30" dish and motor working properly, and can view various satellites, I wanted to know whether I can use the USALS feature on my receiver with my SG2100 motor and Hotdish 75 dish antenna. Any assistance is appreciated (as always). From what I've read, that would make life a whole lot simpler when attempting to lock in satellite locations.

Greyskies (from sunny South Florida - Charley missed us on the East Coast by a country mile or 2 or XXXXXXXXXX).

Yes it will work with the SG2100, and hotdish, have fun! Hows the weather there? I am watching the feeds on T6 right now : )

Florida's S.E. Coast unscathed, unlike devastation on S.W. Coast

PSB:

All's well here in Broward County, Florida on the S.E. Coast of the state, unlike the devastation that ravaged the S.W. Coast.

Question:

I've worked with USALS and got AMC 1, 2, 3, 4, Telstar 6 (1 channel), but would like to try more. Are there any other satellites that I can use my 30" dish on from down here in S.E. Florida?

Sidenote, when checking my dish outside this AM, only installed now for 2 weeks, one (1) of the two (2) clamps that came with the SG2100 motor to hold it onto the pipe snapped, so I have one (1) clamp holding it in place currently. Going to Home Depot to see if they have similar clamps. Is it common for these clamps to break so quickly and easily? The clamp appeared to be rusting. Like I said, only outside for two (2) weeks.

You should be able to get all the listed ku band FTA channels that are viewable in your area, if you have to, forget the USAL and try to scan for channels/satellites manually, I found a load that way takes some time, just motor to anywhere then do a blind/smart scan and see what you get its a lot of fun and most of the time you get nothing but now and again you hit a satellite, then peak in the signal, back track to see what satellite you have found and store it! Takes some time but eventually you will be fully loaded with all the satellites, Tony has a USALS receiver so maybe he can add to this!

As for the bracket snapping, maybe it has been over tightened? I have had mine up for over a year now and there is a little rust around the threads but thats it, I am sure home Depot has replacement clamps, glad to hear you are up and running now!

USALS is useful, but not the end all.

Thanks for info PSB.

I used USALS to get a general location for the various satellites, but, had to use the DiSEqC option to get a proper fix on satellites. By and large, it saved me some considerable time. However, it appears it is not 100% on the money.

Btw, what coordinates do you use for longitude and latitude? Actual coordinates, modified to take into account magnetic deviation? Any other factor to consider? I ask because I seriously had to modify both of those, as well as actual location of satellite to get closest to sats' locations in order to match my results from using the DiSEqC option.

Will chat with you soon. However, on a side note, not much signal strength on Telstar 5 or SBS6, and consequently, cannot lock on and find channels. Any thoughts on this?

The coordinates I use don't include magnetic deviation, and it seems the old map I was using may have been slightly out, Cascade has since posted a new magnetic deviation map, and informed us that the magnetic deviation is always on the move so its just a guide and gets you near to where the satellite is in the sky, there are loads of web sites that let you work out your own look angles for all the satellites and that is what I use.
The USAL is a great feature but its not a big selling point for me as it still has to be fine tuned and the true satellite positions stored, but it helps with the set up, as for T5 and SBS6 I guess your angles may be slightly off, if you stand behind the dish and pull it slightly left-right then up and down to see if your position is off slightly, if not then it must be something other than that?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts