OTHER USB/PC Card solutions for blindscan, general channel surfing, etc.

northgeorgia

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
North GA
OK, so I know that I've posted similar things before, but now that we have a single forum for receiver support -- it could be nice for others thinking about getting a computer-based solution for satellite reception to start reading some in this forum, too.

I hear the Prof and the TBS tuners are the best out there for DVB-S2 reception (are there others recommended?) and support blindscan.

What software would you recommend for the following, and do they work in Windows or in Linux or both?

1. Channel surfing from your easy chair (for example on 97W or 125W).
2. Easy and accurate blindscan for news and sports feeds.
3. Experimenting with IPTV feeds and other more technically intense applications.
4. Recording lengthy programs/feeds (3 - 5 hours).

In regards to signal quality and HH Motor control (for Ku-band, or running a G/VBox with actuator for C-band), is there any noticeable difference between software programs, or does the hardware work independently of the software (which I am assuming) for these functions?

I might get an old desktop from my brother running Windows 95 (and maybe do an install of Linux, too) for conversion into a Media PC. Don't know the specs on what he has, but I'm thinking this should be completely possible. Anyway, looking forward to your comments here :)

When working with HTPC setups there are so many variables depending on what you want to do with it, it boggles the mind. It's something I've played with since the beginning and still I'm never satisfied. I've owned a dozen tuners and several DVB apps. Now there is a hobby you can keep entertained for years ;) Look at my sig for current stuff :)

OK, so I know that I've posted similar things before, but now that we have a single forum for receiver support -- it could be nice for others thinking about getting a computer-based solution for satellite reception to start reading some in this forum, too.

I hear the Prof and the TBS tuners are the best out there for DVB-S2 reception (are there others recommended?) and support blindscan.

What software would you recommend for the following, and do they work in Windows or in Linux or both?

1. Channel surfing from your easy chair (for example on 97W or 125W).
2. Easy and accurate blindscan for news and sports feeds.
3. Experimenting with IPTV feeds and other more technically intense applications.
4. Recording lengthy programs/feeds (3 - 5 hours).

In regards to signal quality and HH Motor control (for Ku-band, or running a G/VBox with actuator for C-band), is there any noticeable difference between software programs, or does the hardware work independently of the software (which I am assuming) for these functions?

I might get an old desktop from my brother running Windows 95 (and maybe do an install of Linux, too) for conversion into a Media PC. Don't know the specs on what he has, but I'm thinking this should be completely possible. Anyway, looking forward to your comments here :)
Windows 95 ??? could be old for this stuff plus the cpu is small most likely just guessing

northgeorgia, I think you should check Rick's forum, there's a ton of info over there about all of the things you've asked here.
I have a prof7500, I love it, but, if i had to do it again, i'd prob spend the extra to get a unit that also does 16/32 APSK.... but it's all a matter of what you can spend vs what you want.
There is some very good software too, I use EBSPro, and SmartDVB mostly, but there is much more and lots of good linux stuff. All of the programmers for these also support them thru Rick's forum.
You should check it out and read, read, read..LOL!!

Windows 95 ??? could be old for this stuff plus the cpu is small most likely just guessing

That's my fear. But I'll look and see what he has first :) Maybe I'm mistaken and it's newer than that.

Edit: LOL, I don't know if it will even turn on! When I saw the logo on it, I couldn't believe it! Somehow he had my first PC back when I took out a bank loan for 3K in the early 90s for a top of the line 486 processor. No USB ports, but it does have a CD drive (probably read only) and a 3.5 floppy drive. No Ethernet!! Looks like an old modem with "Phone" and "Line" connectors. I bet it has Windows 3 on it. This thing ought to be in a museum :) Anyway, it will be good for me to take apart and study how an old style computer was put together then learn how newer models are similar/different. Perhaps the case itself could be reused (I doubt if anything else is still good)...what do ya think?

Last edited:
That's my fear. But I'll look and see what he has first :) Maybe I'm mistaken and it's newer than that.

Edit: LOL, ............ Perhaps the case itself could be reused (I doubt if anything else is still good)...what do ya think?

If it is a Dell, Compaq, or similar big name from the way back machine, it is unlikely the case and power supply can be reused for a newer setup. If it was a home built system, the chances of the case being reused are good, but the power supply will not do the newer hardware.

It is recommended to use a "core duo" equivalent processor and at least 1GB RAM for a HTPC dealing with HD satellite reception. Linux is a good idea if you dont mind tinkering.

Good luck and let us know what you settle on.

It was a local company that built computers (the case says made in Thailand). I doubt the power supply even works, much less power up anything modern. I'll take a look at the case once I take everything apart :)

Thanks so much for the processor and RAM suggestions! What about specs for a motherboard? I'll probably just go for one with an integrated video card. Although I don't have a capable TV at the moment, I'd like to plan for HDMI output, and have one or two spare PCI or PCI express slots for expansion. In addition to the tuner, I know would want integrated wifi (I'm guessing this would use another of my slots). What about hard drive space? Is it more practical/economical to get a large internal hard drive, or use an external one for recording programming?

I'm also beginning to think the best way to keep the price down is to find a computer that's not so antiquated (say running Windows XP) that could perhaps be upgraded with a video card that would do HDMI. But then you have the problem of running out of slots for the toys!

1. I don't channel surf so I don't know.
2. Stv0900/stv0903 based cards work great. Prof 7500, sky star 2 express hd, TBS 6925/5925 etc. They support a usable spectrum scan and pretty good blindscan.
3. There is a windows app called ipcleaner that works in windows and Linux (wine). I haven't wrote one for Linux yet
4. Your only limit on recording is your free hard drive space. Days, weeks, months etc
5. Diseqc commands are calculated in software so if it's not working then it's the fault of the software.

UDL

(I doubt if anything else is still good)...what do ya think?
It is probably not worth even reusing the case, since that machine is from 15+ years ago. For example, it will have no front USB connectors, which are very convenient. Its power supply is also not worth trying with recent motherboards.

Here is a good guide to building a good home theater computer (which will also do an excellent job with HD satellite video), including low-price options:

http://assassinhtpcblog.com/

That is kind of spun off from AVS Forum, which is probably the best source of HD equipment information in general.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)