Status
Please reply by conversation.

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
Saw this recently. Andrew Corporation 1.2 m used satellite dish. Seller is offering it complete with non-penetrating mount. $150. Is that a good price?

5B10AAC9-60A2-4380-BA9B-E2480E573E41.jpeg

in my opinion, yes, at least if it's local. If you have to pay extra for shipping, that might be a different story

As long as it looks straight. I worry about dishes that have bumps and bruises as they may have fundamental problems with their geometry due to damage -- whether by accident or carelessness.

Reactions: danristheman
I'm now leaning towards buying a 1.2 m dish brand new from SatelliteAV in California. Would I be able to get any C-Band stuff with that? I can see all sats from 105 eastward

I'm now leaning towards buying a 1.2 m dish brand new from SatelliteAV in California. Would I be able to get any C-Band stuff with that? I can see all sats from 105 eastward

I mean those dishes are pretty good and all but aren't they twice as expensive as the Andrew? The Andrew is a commercial dish so it's even better built than the Geosatpro 1.2m. Any reason why you don't want a commercial Ku dish like the Andrew?

As far as getting C-band on a 1.2m, NHK World @ 58W, maybe the ABC fronthauls @ 99W as they are booming signals, but S2 with a 9/10 FEC could be a problem... an occasional backhaul uplinked with QPSK and FEC of 3/4. And the CW Plus networks on 91W. I reckon that's about it.

I mean those dishes are pretty good and all but aren't they twice as expensive as the Andrew? The Andrew is a commercial dish so it's even better built than the Geosatpro 1.2m. Any reason why you don't want a commercial Ku dish like the Andrew?

As far as getting C-band on a 1.2m, NHK World @ 58W, maybe the ABC fronthauls @ 99W as they are booming signals, but S2 with a 9/10 FEC could be a problem... an occasional backhaul uplinked with QPSK and FEC of 3/4. And the CW Plus networks on 91W. I reckon that's about it.

Not sure I can get the Andrew dish in my car

Strap that puppy to the roof lol... or stick it in the trunk and then temporarily be one of those ghetto people with their trunk open hauling stuff around that's too big to fit into a closed trunk. I see people hauling bigger stuff than 1.2m dishes around in their car trunks all the time.

Just tie it down well ;)

Reactions: comfortably_numb
This Andrew (I bet that on the back of it you will find "Channel Master" stamp) is one of the best antennas possible to get on the market. Even if it is used, after washing it will not only look like new but also work like new. I had no problems fitting such a dish inside my car IMG_20150422_161210 (Large).jpg , but if car is not big enough than, as it is already mentioned, strapping on the roof is proper way to go. C-band on this dish is possible, but special LNB-holder must be used.

Isn't it fair to say that for general C band use, something upwards of 2 meters is a practical minimum?

Close.

Practical minimum (IMO after having dishes for over 30 years) is a VERY WELL built 7.5 foot. Otherwise an 8 foot would be the absolute minimum I can advise anybody bothering to install. 10 foot if you have the space.

Anything smaller than 7.5 foot, will just make you wish you had installed one a "little bit larger" very quickly.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)