using direct dish on dish network

sircharles

Original poster
Jul 26, 2009
out west
i have an oval direct tv dish it is 21 X 37, it says direct tv on it and nothing else. question is can i put a dp plus hd 3 head lnb on it, will the lnb adapter mount up with out mods. i don't have the adapter to check the fit.

How many times does this stupid question have to be answered, can't anyone use the search function. Only the Directv 18" round dish can be substituted for a DISH 300 dish the others are not interchangable.

I do not search too much on here because there are thousands of posts and the search will bring up post that have nothing to do with what I typed in to search for. A lot of time wasted going though these. I post my questions hoping some major butthead does not get all riled and jump all over my posting.

The current WorldDirect dish is 24x36; maybe it is an older version. I wonder if this dish is an AK/HI dish or maybe an DIRECTV LA dish.

In any event, a DISH Network LNB will not mount up without major modifications to the arm and I'd guess that the performance would be less than optimal for a three-slot LNB.

thanks to those to give me alittle info. i have tried to search for info, but it is not that easy to find when not knowing anything about dish. my only thought all dishes are designed the same and both direct and dish use the same birds. so a corrrect lnb mounted with correct distance should function on any dish.

Thanks again

While the dishes were at one time interchangeable, that hasn't been the case for several years. The modern 3-slot dishes aren't interchangeable at all! Each carrier uses "smart" LNB assemblies that stack the channels in a manner that the other cannot make use of.

It is also important to note that DIRECTV and DISH Network do NOT use the same birds. Each company has their own fleet of satellites and in the case of DIRECTV, they're using new Ka frequencies in combination with the old Ku frequencies.

direct still uses 110 and 119 as dish does, i realize the lnbs are different because of different switching styles. i may be wrong but i do believe the dishes would be the same dimensions for various dishes in order to get the correct focal point for signals. i have several large dishes and the correct lnb, just don't have adapter for dish arm to see if fits.
did not want to go to the trouble of getting the adapter not knowing.

thanks to everyone for their 2 cents

In my vacation home in the south, I have a (I think) phase III DirecTV dish (about 20" wide) with a DPP twin and Single Pro LNB (attached with duct tape btw) and I get all three WA birds.

You should give it a shot.

How many times does this stupid question have to be answered, can't anyone use the search function. Only the Directv 18" round dish can be substituted for a DISH 300 dish the others are not interchangable.

Not everybody is on these forums all the time, or proficient at using search. Isn't the point of this site so that people can ask these kind of questions without somebody jumping down their throat? Lighten up a little.

if it bothers you that much DONT RESPOND!
Seriously Bob are you really this miserable all the time? If it isnt that answer its "call 800-333-3474 because obviously you cant handle this problem" as your response

The current WorldDirect dish is 24x36; maybe it is an older version. I wonder if this dish is an AK/HI dish or maybe an DIRECTV LA dish.

In any event, a DISH Network LNB will not mount up without major modifications to the arm and I'd guess that the performance would be less than optimal for a three-slot LNB.

the focal point wont be the same as the World dish has a longer arm on it than the Phase III or slimline. When the focal point is off it wont work right. I've tried that on Primestar dishes which are a little bigger (37x27) and have had miserable results. You have to ghetto rig something

i may be wrong but i do believe the dishes would be the same dimensions for various dishes in order to get the correct focal point for signals.
You are assuming too much. DIRECTV no longer broadcasts conventional programming from the 110W slot (and I suspect they may be at risk of losing their license to do so).

The dishes aren't interchangeable as they don't make adapters and, as I said previously, major modifications would need to be made (up to and including duct taping the LNB on). When going from a small dish to a larger dish, the focal length of the dish usually increases and the angle at which the signal is presented to the LNB changes so much of the signal hits the wave tube at an angle that it wasn't designed for.

It is also folly to assume that dishes that are designed for one or two slots are the same as dishes that are designed for three or five slots.

DIRECTV no longer broadcasts conventional programming from the 110W slot (and I suspect they may be at risk of losing their license to do so).
right now D* has some channels that are "warming" the satellite...other than the "test" channel for a reciever to see if they are locking the sat the rest are not avaiulable

DTV 9512 10 D5 @110W
*DTV 9885 10 D5 @110W
*DTV 9886 10 D5 @110W
*DTV 9887 12 D5 @110W
*DTV 9888 8 D5 @110W
*DTV 9889 12 D5 @110W
*DTV 9890 8 D5 @110W

FCC licensing stipulates that active subscriber programming as well as a certain percentage of PI programming be made available in each slot. Clearly they haven't been doing that for quite a while now. There may not be enough transponders on D5 to worry about the PI requirement, but there's another good chunk of underutilized space there.

I know D* has had rumours of moving the Int'l channels off 95W and to 110...but dont know how they'll do that
using 7 TP's right now on 95
only 3 available on 110 ;)

I know D* has had rumours of moving the Int'l channels off 95W and to 110...but dont know how they'll do that
using 7 TP's right now on 95
only 3 available on 110 ;)

I think the word you are looking for is called : COMPRESSION. They will most likely compress the hell out of it till it looks like most sd on Directv: CRAP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts