using direct dish on dish network

I know D* has had rumours of moving the Int'l channels off 95W and to 110...but dont know how they'll do that
using 7 TP's right now on 95
only 3 available on 110 ;)
It would probably make more sense to talk in terms of channels as opposed to transponders. Ku channels per transponder is something we can all relate to versus the FSS frequencies on the Galaxy bird.

ok fine if you want to play that way...but FSS can have as many or more channels on a TP as DBS does. I've seen 17-18 channels on a KU TP ;) especially on 97W

but 72 channels on 7 TP's at 95W according to my chart

ok fine if you want to play that way...but FSS can have as many or more channels on a TP as DBS does.
That's my point. You're talking about going from FSS to DBS and that's like going from grapefruit to orange size in bandwidth.

Even if they converted everything international to MPEG4 (and it might make a lot of sense), it probably still wouldn't fit.

That's my point. You're talking about going from FSS to DBS and that's like going from grapefruit to orange size in bandwidth.

not really as there is way more variables involved. the symbol rate used, FEC, how they want the pic to look (as some of the channels on 97W KU look like a blown up youtube video) ;), etc

but for this example both KU (on 95W) & DBS (101/110/119) transponders are 20000 symbol rate 6/7 FEC so other than the frequencies being different (and obviously satellite power on 95W being lower requiring a larger dish) the rest is the same :)

not really as there is way more variables involved. the symbol rate used, FEC, how they want the pic to look (as some of the channels on 97W KU look like a blown up youtube video) ;), etc
We're not talking about what goes out FTA on 95W or 97W -- we're talking about how DIRECTV could fit 24 channels/transponder on 110W and keep it comparable with the offerings from their competitors. DIRECTV's international offerings are pretty thin as they are and could use considerable shoring up over and above what they have available on 95W and 110W combined.

How many times does this stupid question have to be answered, can't anyone use the search function. Only the Directv 18" round dish can be substituted for a DISH 300 dish the others are not interchangable.

Do us a favor...take a Midol. If you don't like a question then don't answer it angerly. There is no such thing as a dumb question in any audio/video forum.

Jeff

gee didn't mean to stir things, just thought some one had used a direct dish on dist network. i purchased a 1000.2 and when it gets here i will see if the lnb will mount on the big oval.

gee didn't mean to stir things, just thought some one had used a direct dish on dist network. i purchased a 1000.2 and when it gets here i will see if the lnb will mount on the big oval.

dont worry. Folks have done it but back when Directv used one slot (101) and Dish used 2 (110 & 119) it was much easier :)
Now with both using 3 or 4 slots it doesnt work that good :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)