OTHER V-Sat Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

stecle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
Between the North and South Pole
I just noticed that a local gas station has a fence around it and appears to be vacant. Apparently the tanks need to be replaced and the owner decided to just close it up. Anyway I can see an offset fiberglass dish on the roof, that looks to be about 4 feet. I can't get a good look at the feed-horn.

I am wondering if I should take the time to try and acquire this dish? The feed-horn is probably single polarity, which would likely require some major modifications for FTA.

Does anyone know what these dishes are being used for? I thought high speed internet would have replaced most V-Sat dishes.

Credit card and lottery transactions are typical uses, and lots of them are located where there is probably no hi-speed internet available.

Well worth procuring, you can't beat those commercial dishes for durability and performance, especially when cheap or freeeeeee.

What state is this located and what type of gas sati on was it?

It was Shell and I am in Canada.

Credit card and lottery transactions are typical uses, and lots of them are located where there is probably no hi-speed internet available.

Well worth procuring, you can't beat those commercial dishes for durability and performance, especially when cheap or freeeeeee.

There definitely is High Speed Internet available at this gas station which made me wonder what the dish was for. I have also noticed that all the Safeway grocery stores have a fixed 8 foot prime focus dish on the roof.

My guess is since there are huge numbers of locations where big-pipe internet is not available, and the satellite-based infrastructure is already in place and working maybe they just go with it?

Reactions: stecle
Many locations are installed with redundancy. Failure to authorize a transaction may result in a loss of sale or fraud.

A scam a few years back was thwarted by redundancy. Thieves would cover the LNB throat of the satellite link while authorizing a fuel sale with stolen cards. If the site only had the satellite link, the authorization would be automatically provided if the system was down. The sites that had redundancy, automatically switched to the back-up link when the primary failed and the stolen cards would be rejected.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)