Various Questions about Hopper and Joey, please advise

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

happy hopping

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
North America
1) How many channel can Hopper record WITHOUT Super Joey? Is it just 2?
because it says it can record up to 8 channels with Super Joey, but it doesn't say how many channel it can record without SUper Joey.

2) If you do need up to 8 channels, do you have to buy Super Joey? Or can Joey work?

3) if you buy both out right, is there a monthly fee? Because the website says "Monthly DVR and receiver fees apply."

4) do you have to constantly connect to the internet when you use the Hopper / Super Joey? (I don't care about Live TV), I just want to watch 1 show and record 2 to 3 others in HD

5) what's the suggest retail price of the Hopper and SUper j oey?

6) I already have an old receiver, how do I add the above to my existing account and then when I choose to remove the old receiver, how do I make sure it doesn't have a balance on it so I can give or sell to someone else?

1: Hopper has 3 Tuners, so any 3 channels can be recorded at one time, or any of the Big 4 + 2 others. All Big 4 channels will share a single tuner with or without PTAT.
2: Only a Super Joey will add tuners to the system. It adds 2 tuners for a total of 5. Any 5 channels or Any 4 + Big 4 at one time.
3: Monthly fees are the same whether owned or leased. Only advantage to owning is to avoid a term commitment and related ETF.
4: No internet is required at all for TV.
5: Check dishdepot.com or solidsignal.com. Purchasing rarely makes sense.
6: Call Dish, chat Dish, or send a message to DIRT.

If you already have a Dish account, then this would be considered an upgrade, which is a lower ETF and purchasing the equipment almost certainly will not make financial sense.

If you are interested in upgrading and checking prices please send a private message with the account/phone number and the 4 Digit Security Code so I can look into this for you.

One advantage of purchase over lease not mentioned... If you have a room not in use often, you can disable a purchased Joey for the months not in use(ie college student only comes to visit you so much out of the year), without having to send it back. You can turn it on and off at will. But for general use, unless you want to avoid commitment, purchase almost never makes sense over leased. Even in her commitment, it is typically cheaper to pay the etf than buying all the equipment outright.

Just like directv, if you ever get free or reduced equipment added on(not a simple replacement for the like equipment) a 24 month commitment takes place.

this is precisely the reason I just want to buy it without any restriction on contracts. Since the last recession, I have cancelled HBO and Showtime, and I'm glad I didn't sign for that 2 year, as my income changes, and when I buy it out right, I can still sell that unit to someone else.

this is precisely the reason I just want to buy it without any restriction on contracts. Since the last recession, I have cancelled HBO and Showtime, and I'm glad I didn't sign for that 2 year, as my income changes, and when I buy it out right, I can still sell that unit to someone else.
Realize the ETF on an upgrade is $240 MAX and is reduced by $10 each month. It's hard to come out ahead on a purchase, even if you cancel almost immediately. You'll have to purchase Hopper + Joey(s) + node, and install yourself.

With a lease upgrade the equipment and install will likely be included for nothing up front with only the potential risk of paying an ETF that at it's max is less than the cost of purchasing the equipment.

Reactions: JSheridan
1: Hopper has 3 Tuners, so any 3 channels can be recorded at one time, or any of the Big 4 + 2 others. All Big 4 channels will share a single tuner with or without PTAT.
2: Only a Super Joey will add tuners to the system. It adds 2 tuners for a total of 5. Any 5 channels or Any 4 + Big 4 at one time.

thanks for the reply. So say I have to record CBS, ABC, USANetwork and Comedy Central at the same time, then I don't need the SUper Joey then? But are these channels being recorded in HD? If not, it's okay, but I prefer to be in HD, at least some of them anyway.

Realize the ETF on an upgrade is $240 MAX and is reduced by $10 each month. It's hard to come out ahead on a purchase, even if you cancel almost immediately. You'll have to purchase Hopper + Joey(s) + node, and install yourself.

With a lease upgrade the equipment and install will likely be included for nothing up front with only the potential risk of paying an ETF that at it's max is less than the cost of purchasing the equipment.

What's a node? And why do I have to install it? I already have an existing satellite receiver. Don't I just replace the old one and plug in this one?

If you lease it, and cancel say you lost your job, you lost $200 say, that money is gone. If you buy one, and say you lost your job, you can sell that unit back and recoup approx. 75% or higher of your money (minimum is 50% on a 2nd hand unit, but it's still under warranty so you should get higher)

What's a node? And why do I have to install it? I already have an existing satellite receiver. Don't I just replace the old one and plug in this one?

A hopper install is actually a bit different in how things have to be wired vs. the older installations, so it is definitely NOT a case of unplug old receiver, install new Hopper. There are several wiring diagrams for various Hopper/Joey/SuperJoey installations floating around SatGuys if you want to search for them...someone else may be able to chime in with links to them. The "node" is one of the required items, and is essentially what allows the Hopper and the Joeys to communicate. It is generally installed in and around where you might have had switches in your older installs.

Also, you hint in your original question #6 that you may be considering adding the Hopper/Joey in addition to some existing receivers you may already have...you should be aware that Dish will not allow this, even if you purchase the Hopper/Joey. The only older receiver that Dish will allow on the same account with Hopper/Joey accounts is the 211, and that is primarily for folks taking the 211 along on RV trips, tailgating, etc. If you were planning to deactivate ALL of your old receivers at the same time you activate the Hopper, then this wouldn't be an issue, but wanted to point it out just in case!

You can record ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC all at the same time, or any combination of those channels and only use one tuner.

So in this case, ABC and CBS use 1 tuner, while USA and Comedy Central used 1,totalling 3 tuners. Yes, you can do this with no problem.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

If you lease it, and cancel say you lost your job, you lost $200 say, that money is gone. If you buy one, and say you lost your job, you can sell that unit back and recoup approx. 75% or higher of your money (minimum is 50% on a 2nd hand unit, but it's have tol under warranty so you should get higher)

You have to have a node. It triple band stacks the sat signal to support the third tuner. Search the forum for "jobaid" to find wiring diagrams.

Is cancelling after four months really likely? If I were that worried about it, I'd bank the money I would he spend on purchasing to use for the ETF. Yes, there is a window in the first year or so where purchasing could be advantageous, but the net difference is minimal. The more equipment involved, the smaller the window.

Only you know your situation, but if there are reasonable odds I can keep the cash, and I won't have the ebay/craigslist headache, and the worst case downside is a manageable amount, then I'll err on the side that is more likely to let me keep the most cash.

Also, you hint in your original question #6 that you may be considering adding the Hopper/Joey in addition to some existing receivers you may already have...you should be aware that Dish will not allow this, even if you purchase the Hopper/Joey. The only older receiver that Dish will allow on the same account with Hopper/Joey accounts is the 211, and that is primarily for folks taking the 211 along on RV trips, tailgating, etc. If you were planning to deactivate ALL of your old receivers at the same time you activate the Hopper, then this wouldn't be an issue, but wanted to point it out just in case!

I'll see if I can find that diagram, thank you.

what if I only have Hopper (without Joey)? Can I keep my old receiver?

If not, no big deal, but exactly how do you simultaneously deactivate my old receiver and activate the hopper? Do I just login to my acct., and do it? Also, how do I make sure there is no balance on the old receiver so I can sell it?

You can record ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC all at the same time, or any combination of those channels and only use one tuner.

So in this case, ABC and CBS use 1 tuner, while USA and Comedy Central used 1,totalling 3 tuners. Yes, you can do this with no problem.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

so in this case, I don't need the Joey then. That's great news. thanks for the tip

However, for ABC, CBS to use 1 tuner, you need to enable Prime Time anytime. Is that what everyone is doing? Because doesn't that automatically record all the shows regardless whether you want it or not? It's a waste of electricity and a waste of time. So you have to delete them every so often when you don't see it? Doesn't that wear out the hard drive a lot faster?

I believe the HIC is only needed if you connect the Hopper wirelessly to your network.

I have 2 Hoppers hard wired - no HIC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts