Various Questions about Hopper and Joey, please advise

Repeating what was originally said, you will learn alot by going to the Hopper thread.... As someone told you, to watch TV you do not need the internet. If you want to use some other features you would need the internet.

Even of you don't have a Joey, only hopper Joey equipment allowed on the account. Exception is up to 2 owned 211's, mainly for the rving. Now about the ptat, that is for recording during prime time hours. If you don't want that, it does not need to be enabled, but you'll still only use one tuner for the four major channels.
Internet is not required for the basic functions of the hopper. If you want to use sling technology, or vod and apps, then internet is required, but if you do not care about these features, internet is not required. If you plan on having more than 1 tv, you will need joeys. Hopper only services one tv(supported) for tv out. There are work around a, but you'd just be mirroring. The joeys are necessary for independent viewing.

Reactions: Tampa8
The HIC is the hoppers version of the sling link. In the sense that it does not require wireless on the hoppers, nor does it require Ethernet all over the place. It plugs into the moca network(mine is directly to the node) and sends internet over the moca with no need to bridge

You have three connection types.
Wireless
Ethernet
HIC.

how come the "Hopper Training Guide" said you need to connect your Hopper Internet Connector to your router? How much bandwidth is that going to suck up in 1 month? If I don't need the Joey, do I still need this?
Dish wants the their techs to connect the Hopper so it can dial home, enable app and sling functionality and hopefully folks will pay for VOD titles, etc. Hopper will work just fine with no connection for TV viewing.

Is the extra cost per month for a Hopper worth it if you are not going to use one of the main reasons it exists - availability of tuners in any room? It has a nice interface, and PTAT can give you "more tuners." But at a cost. And you mention cost as being a problem at times. Why not a 722 (or 612) and a 211 Receiver? Costs less, three tuners, and if you add an external Hard drive to the 211 receiver you then have two DVR's.

I also think you may have a misconception about the commitment. What package or programming you have is not part of the commitment. (Not talking about new customer discounts) Under a commitment you could have dropped HBO and Showtime anytime you wanted, you could have dropped down to a lower package also. And the commitment does not include equipment either, so you can downgrade there if needed.

Reactions: ChadT41
Dish wants the their techs to connect the Hopper so it can dial home, enable app and sling functionality and hopefully folks will pay for VOD titles, etc. Hopper will work just fine with no connection for TV viewing.
If the Hopper/Joey system is not connected to the Internet, wouldn't that cause DISH to place a phone call to see if your Hoppers are where they are suppose to be?

If the Hopper/Joey system is not connected to the Internet, wouldn't that cause DISH to place a phone call to see if your Hoppers are where they are suppose to be?
You can't really account stack with a single Hopper. With two Hoppers it would definitely be a red flag.

Reactions: ChadT41
so in this case, I don't need the Joey then. That's great news. thanks for the tip

However, for ABC, CBS to use 1 tuner, you need to enable Prime Time anytime. Is that what everyone is doing? Because doesn't that automatically record all the shows regardless whether you want it or not? It's a waste of electricity and a waste of time. So you have to delete them every so often when you don't see it? Doesn't that wear out the hard drive a lot faster?
You use the same amount of electricity no matter what you do, PTAT on or off, unless you physically unplug the the Hopper. It is always on, and uses very little electricity, anyway. All PTAT self delete in 8 days..... Not to worry, the Hopper has a 2TB hard drive....

You can't really account stack with a single Hopper. With two Hoppers it would definitely be a red flag.

Yep, I think it would be a big red flag too. I think it is best to keep attached to the Internet if you can. I wouldn't want one of them there phone calls from DISH!

Is the extra cost per month for a Hopper worth it if you are not going to use one of the main reasons it exists - availability of tuners in any room? It has a nice interface, and PTAT can give you "more tuners." But at a cost. And you mention cost as being a problem at times. Why not a 722 (or 612) and a 211 Receiver? Costs less, three tuners, and if you add an external Hard drive to the 211 receiver you then have two DVR's.

I also think you may have a misconception about the commitment. What package or programming you have is not part of the commitment. (Not talking about new customer discounts) Under a commitment you could have dropped HBO and Showtime anytime you wanted, you could have dropped down to a lower package also. And the commitment does not include equipment either, so you can downgrade there if needed.

If I get a 722 + a 211, and there is only 2 cable coming from the wall, then I would need to split the signal, and now you could be dealing with recording quality or signal quality.

As to those ETF, to cut to the chase, it's just stress. Any time someone wants me to sign a 2 year thing, and my income is not stable, I don't want the un-needed stress.

The OP ask 6 questions and JM42 answered all six in post #3. Then the thread drifted off subject. Who decides when and who "answered" an OPs question. I think the whole thing is a joke. Sometimes you moderators do and mostly , you don't. Why not just drop the "answered" thing, it ain't working.

If I get a 722 + a 211, and there is only 2 cable coming from the wall, then I would need to split the signal, and now you could be dealing with recording quality or signal quality.

To quote the commercial.. That's not how it works, that's not how any of it works..... I think jerryez is correct, we may have reached the end.

Well, I'm thankful from all the members for helping out. I don't have any major questions, but I don't mind knowing from the above:

1) When you closed the usage of the old receiver, I assume you do that just after you register your new receiver online? I'm okay with that providing the new receiver is not a "DOA" (Dead On Arrival)

2) The PTAT, do they record in HD or SD? And do you have the options to choose? AS I won't mind export out thru the analog (SD) video / audio port some cooking segment in some show to a DVD recorder, because I keep cooking show. But viewing HD on SD DVD recorder has the edges cut off. But if it's SD to SD, then it works out just fine.

It's hd except in a few precise areas that do not have hd capability. When they add the new one on, it will automatically take the old one off, if not hopper stylus equipment.

Reactions: happy hopping
Is there anything you're looking for particularly? It comes with hopper, remote, hdmi, and RCA cables. Is there a specific thing you wanna know about?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts