Verizon Fios Television Installed Today

So if I have RG-6 cable running from outside my house (right where the phone line comes in) they will be able to feed the tv's? I appreciate the help!
Tom in TX

raymo721 said:
LonghornXP, Would living in a 3rd floor apt. conplicate or prevent me from getting FIOS?--Ray

Right now Verizon has just finished testing new MDU ONTs that will soon start to be rolled out for apartment complexes. These new ONTs would simplify installation.

Existing phone lines in each apartment would be switched over to FIOS as was said above. These new ONTs would also handle the video the same as it can use the existing coax cables in each apartment unit. The one big difference with these new ONTs is that the internet won't require a cat5e cable run. The internet service would be handled like current DSL service. These ONTs will use the new VDSL2 standard so a filter and a phone jack can be used for your new FIOS internet service.

In simple terms Verizon will be able to use everything that is present in each apartment unit. You will still get the full FIOS speed offerings as the copper cables have enough bandwidth to transmit the full speeds because the data only travels from the ONT to your jack instead of from your central office to your jack.

Also in the future Verizon will start to use a new ONT for new single family homes that will also use VDSL2 instead of cat5e and this ONT will have a built in NIM.

raymo721 said:
Whew!! I was worried about that. Tks to the guru!!--Ray

I'm not the guru but I do know a few guru type people. Also your welcome and the last thing you should worry about is not getting FIOS because of installation requirements and/or being in an apartment. As a matter of fact Verizon is going to highly focus on apartment complexes now that they have these new ONTs as they can wire many many more customers per area compared to homes. They will still do homes at the same speed they do today but most if not all of the new hired workers will be working on apartment complexes. Apartment complexes tend to have a very high rate of signup when a new service comes in town and apartment renters also tend to order several more high end services than single family home residents. In a given area you in the future will have a better chance of getting the service as an apartment renter first than as a home owner.

hopefully At&t will have the same policy with u-verse on apartment complexes as verizon. As one who lives on a 3rd story apartment, I hope At&t gets u-verse in major markets as fast as FIOS.

Since U-Verse will be IPTV-based, it will really just be a question of whether they can get the VDSL connected up; coax won't play into it.