vertical lnb dead

Status
Please reply by conversation.

truckracer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 17, 2004
Charleston wv
My vertical side of my ortho feed horn lnb died today. Very low quality readings on all my c-band verticals strong Horizontal reception (other lnb from multiswitch)
Temp was 5 degrees last night so I don't know if it died or is too cold and unstable.

I switched it out and the new one is working great.

maybe too cold

i know temperature extremes can make electronics get out of spec.
the lnb may be fine if it was warmer. I have never had this happen before but i always ran lnbfs before.

I have an lnb that has endured many temps -30f and below.

And it was working at those temps also.

Guess they don't make em like they used to:(

So, you're saying it permanently died and didn't come back to life once it warmed up?

I was thinking Iceberg reported a low temp failure of a C-band LNBF several years ago.
But maybe his worked again once it warmed back toward normal.
Don't recall the exact details, but I do remember what I (jokingly) suggested:

- Get a bucket over it. Or in his case, maybe just a large foam cup. 48 oz size.
- Fill the bucket with the expanding insulation foam (comes in a can at the hardware store)
- Maybe put a very small nightlight inside with the hardware.

Such an idea should provide protection from both heat and cold.
When the heater was on, it might also help remove accumulated moisture.
And the foam would keep out the bugs.

I bet it will work when it is warmer (maybe). I ordered three more new ones from dave's web shop on ebay for 10.00 each. same ones i had bsc-211 13degree c-band lnb.

My Norsat LNBs just keep on going.. But, coldest it's been is about -10 degrees F. With proper alignment, they are rock solid stable. I love them.

My Norsat LNBs just keep on going.. But, coldest it's been is about -10 degrees F. With proper alignment, they are rock solid stable. I love them.

Norsat and California Amplifier are what are used in the commercial industry. They have to work. They cost more but are well worth it. All the others made today have some kind of cuts in design to keep costs down. Even Norsat and Cal Amp's cheaper units aren't up to what the standards were years ago. You need to get into the professional series to get that quality. This is one place that you get what you pay for.

ran into about same problem here, lousing my vertical c-band lnb but I am down in Fl. an cold here is 60. an this was when I first set up a 2nd dish with a ortho feed 5-years ago, every thing worked great with a dtv 4 X 8 power multi-switch, an about 10-months or so, lost vertical lnb (Cal Amp) so replaced it, an some time latter same problem agin. now I have power inserters on the vertical port of the multi-switch going to the vertical lnb's, an have not had a problem for years now. at that time did not use a power inserter because all work fine with out 1. but you're c-band lnb's are made to work with voltages from 18 to 24 volt dc, not 13 out of a multi switch.

don't know if you have a power inerters in line or not but I would not run a orto feed with out a power inserter truckracer, after what I have learned. an now I am still useing Cal Amps on 1 ortho an Norsats 8515 on the other ortho. an realy cold weather should help a lnb's performance, or maybe it was time for that lnb to die.

Something just came to mind... your running 2 LNB's one for H one for V if your feeding one LNB only 14 VDC Running in an LNBF mode it may not be enough to keep it running in the super cold. LNB's are designed to operate at 18VDC.

Didn't we have this power-inserter discussion in the last six months?
I'm sure I didn't dream it. :D

And also, I know Linuxman had some angst over the same question (presumably a different thread), and came up with a work-around.
In that case, he modified some 4x4 (?) powered multi-switches to put out 18v to both LNBs.

Since ya need the multi-switches anyhow, I sort of favored the all-in-one solution with the modified switch.
Only thing keeping me from following in those footsteps, is the lack of availability of dual-output C-band LNBF's! - :eek:
You guys with your orthomode feedhorns.... well, those are too rich for my blood. :)

Anyone reading this, should search back on the appropriate key words, and find those earlier discussions.
They were a wealth of knowledge. - :up

stupid question from me (probably because I don't have any and can't imagine I need one) - what's the purpose the power inserter? Is it to feed power to LNBs with signal passthru to receivers or spectrum analyzers that aren't able to power a LNB?

No you need it to power the 13v side of the H/V combo ( I can never remember is 13v is the H side or the V side) Regular Cband LNB's are designed to work with 18v, thus the power inserter in the line going to the 13V leg.

I had a whole setup in my hands ready to go for my paraclipse, and the ortho feed wouldn't fit on it due to clearance issues.
A member on here bought the whole shootin match from me... :D

Only thing keeping me from following in those footsteps, is the lack of availability of dual-output C-band LNBF's! - :eek:
You guys with your orthomode feedhorns.... well, those are too rich for my blood. :)

Anyone reading this, should search back on the appropriate key words, and find those earlier discussions.
They were a wealth of knowledge. - :up
If it weren't that stability is so important, especially with 8psk and weak signal work, then I would look for a lower cost solution myself. But to me it's money well spent to use ortho's with commercial LNB's...

slow learner:

Careful, AC !
You'll have me shopping for an Ortho-toy, before I even get that first BUD delivered! - :eek:

I had a whole setup in my hands ready to go for my paraclipse, and the ortho feed wouldn't fit on it due to clearance issues.
A member on here bought the whole shootin match from me... :D
That would be me... I haven't used any of it yet, but I plan to. This thread has already gotten me to look at the Pico Macom switch, and it's the same as the one in AC's link. I didn't realize it had a switch to change from 13/18 or 18/18? I thought I was going to have to modify it as Linuxman did with his Powered 4x4 Switch? But, now I see I won't have to. That's kind of like a Bonus, I wasn't expecting. What I was really buying was the Dual C-Band Feedhorn Assembly. I haven't used it either, but I am using another one, and it gets 18 volts from the 4dtv, with it set up as "Dual C-Band LNBs (no polarizer)", and that sends 18 volts to both LNBs. I also have a Store bought Dual C-Band Feedhorn that's still in the box. I'm ready for multiple C-Band dishes on my multiple Receiver set up, just haven't put the BUD dishes in place yet.....?
I would like to get an Orthomode Feedhorn Assembly, and I will if I live long enough.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts