Very Confused about Distant Nets

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blackloz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
Minot,ND
Here in Montana there is no local stations where I am so when I signed up with DTV I wanted distant nets. At first I got SD Nets NBC East & West ABC East & West The CW East & West and FOX East & West, CBS told me to you know what off. Then about a month later I wanted to get the HD feeds(Who wouldn't want them right?). DTV tells me that I can only get the west feeds in HD(Which I thought was strange since I have both East & West in SD. Whats the difference?) so I said fine go ahead. ABC & FOX where added right away as I was told that I didn't need waivers for those two, then the waiting game started all over again, well three weeks later to my surprise CBS HD West was there(Ch 391) I don't even have CBS in SD as they told me to get lost last time. Still no NBC HD West yet DTV cant' tell me anything more now so I guess I just wait and see(I have the SD feeds of NBC so I can't see why the HD feed should be any different) I will even swap the Sd feeds for the HD ones if I have to. Now according to Dish Net they tell me that if I was there customer I would get all my locals from Minot N.D. not that im planning on it but I thought I would check with them.

Where in Montana are you? Or are you "north" of there? ;)

The HD feeds I know you cant get feeds that are earlier than your time zone. SD I guess you can (I dont know the answer to that one)

Parts of Eastern Montana are indeed in the Minot DMA with Dish (see map below). Directv doesnt carry locals there yet

now depending on where you are the spotbeam should reach (see below link for the spotbeam)
SatelliteGuys.US - Dish Network ALL

Attachments

• montana.gif
    montana.gif
    40.5 KB · Views: 245
Well My S.A. or service Address is located at the property I own in the Plentywood area but most of the time im about 2 hrs north lol, im a duel citizen. Im not sure if DTV has to go to the local Minot stations and get the waivers from there or not? I have all east & west nets in S.D. which im planning to drop the West S.D. feeds after I get NBC HD West as thats the only one im missing.

no worries :)

Checking the FCC coverage maps, when everything was analog CBS **was** a station that the FCC claimed was available in Plentywood. With digital its not...

HOWEVER....NBC is covered on digital. Thats why
-you couldnt get analog CBS but can get digital CBS
-you cant get digital NBC

see link
http://www.fcc.gov/dtv/markets/maps_current/Minot-Bismarck-Dickinson_ND.pdf

stations in question are
KUMV (21 & 22)
KXMD (31 & 32)

the red means they claim you cant pick that station up anymore.

So they indeed were going to the Minot stations for waivers

Thanks for your help. So I guess I will try ota for NBC HD when im at my plentywood home. I do have a BellTV(Bell ExpressVU) account as well at both locations which gives me HD networks from Seattle & Boston so I guess I don't have much to complain about.

im a SD directv Tech.... we get locals but keep in mind.. after Martin, SD, all reg sat programing comes on 102 sat and at that time, Rapid city or like Martin doesnt get Locals bc central sd to east have 101 sat and 72.5 sat for locals. I couldnt tell you what it is now after digital took over, bc now what used to be a 2 dish market for my area is now a Slimline (one dish) market picking up 72.5 (onto 99sat) and being a ONE dish market like West SD is. however, all broadcast locals get Colorado game spots IE denver broncos) where like myself is a giants fan.

locals will happen if you can reach 72.5 onto the 99 dish market and get NBC in HD or in fact all in HD on locals expect some PBS and i dont think CW is broadcasting HD yet.

The OP is in the Minot/Bismarck/Dickinson ND DMA which D* doesnt have locals

im a SD directv Tech.... we get locals but keep in mind..
see my above line...so it doesnt matter if you get locals or not...the OP's market doesnt

after Martin, SD, all reg sat programing comes on 102 sat and at that time,
I hope you mean 101 ;)

Rapid city or like Martin doesnt get Locals bc central sd to east have 101 sat and 72.5 sat for locals. I couldnt tell you what it is now after digital took over, bc now what used to be a 2 dish market for my area is now a Slimline (one dish) market picking up 72.5 (onto 99sat) and being a ONE dish market like West SD is.
Sioux Falls is a slimline 3LNB market as the locals are on 103. They are phasing out 72.5
Western SD doesnt have locals uplinked there.

The OP is in the Minot/Bismarck/Dickinson ND DMA which D* doesnt have locals

see my above line...so it doesnt matter if you get locals or not...the OP's market doesnt

I hope you mean 101 ;)

Sioux Falls is a slimline 3LNB market as the locals are on 103. They are phasing out 72.5
Western SD doesnt have locals uplinked there.

nope.. after martin, SD and west, its 102 sat... thats why the rapid city office covers martin on west... and sioux falls controls parmalee, east.

Sioux falls, is NOT a 3lnb market. just bc it has 3 white round lnbs does not make it a 3lnb. its actually a 5 LNB. I live here. i was just in sioux falls last week and i use the same dish that SF has...

oh btw, this is MY sat in front of my apt. I know 72.5 is replaced, all being put on the 103 HD market, tell me something i dont know.

pics....

S6300640.jpg

i see 5... 3 lnbs in one plastic cover, and 1 in each of the other ones

S6300639.jpg

S6300638.jpg

nope.. after martin, SD and west, its 102 sat... thats why the rapid city office covers martin on west... and sioux falls controls parmalee, east.
there is no 102 sat ;)

Sioux falls, is NOT a 3lnb market. just bc it has 3 white round lnbs does not make it a 3lnb. its actually a 5 LNB. I live here. i was just in sioux falls last week and i use the same dish that SF has...
then answer me...why when I pull up where locals are on Directv I get this
687 KELO 11 20 D10 @103W kelodt
687 KSFY 13 20 D10 @103W ksfydt
687 MNT 15 20 D10 @103W kelodt2
687 KTTW 17 20 D10 @103W kttwdt
687 KSMN 20 6 SW1 @103W ksmn3437
687 KCSD 23 6 SW1 @103W kcsdhd
687 KWSD 36 6 SW1 @103W kwsddt
687 KDLT 46 20 D10 @103W kdltdt

hmmmmmmm....looks like they're on 103 which would use the 3 LNB dish. The 5 LNB dish can be used too but is overkill unless you want Mexican channels

oh btw, this is MY sat in front of my apt. I know 72.5 is replaced, all being put on the 103 HD market, tell me something i dont know.
you dont need a 5 LNB dish ;) The 3 LNB dish works fine

But back to the original issue the question has already been answered as to why he cant get distant HD NBC

Dont know why you mentioned what you can get when the OP is in a different market :rolleyes:

there is no 102 sat ;)

then answer me...why when I pull up where locals are on Directv I get this
687 KELO 11 20 D10 @103W kelodt
687 KSFY 13 20 D10 @103W ksfydt
687 MNT 15 20 D10 @103W kelodt2
687 KTTW 17 20 D10 @103W kttwdt
687 KSMN 20 6 SW1 @103W ksmn3437
687 KCSD 23 6 SW1 @103W kcsdhd
687 KWSD 36 6 SW1 @103W kwsddt
687 KDLT 46 20 D10 @103W kdltdt

hmmmmmmm....looks like they're on 103 which would use the 3 LNB dish. The 5 LNB dish can be used too but is overkill unless you want Mexican channels

you dont need a 5 LNB dish ;) The 3 LNB dish works fine

thats bc 103 is now broadcasting digital for all locals.

before the transition took over, it was on 102 for west side and 72.5 for east.

im not gonna argue, im an actual directv tech and being doing this for 3 years.

we dont use 3 lnb (multi-sat) as they are discontinued in the midwest. If you still have one installed, youre outdated.

before the transition took over, it was on 102 for west side and 72.5 for east.
there is no 102 sat...dont know where you're getting that info. :)

we dont use 3 lnb (multi-sat) as they are discontinued in the midwest. If you still have one installed, youre outdated.

uh the slimline 3 LNB that sees 99/101/103??? My mom got her's installed in Mpls about 3 months ago. If you're thinking Phase III then yes they dont install those anymore :)

thats bc 103 is now broadcasting digital for all locals.
not for all. 99 is also used as is 101 & 119 ;)
Mpls locals SD are on 101

there is no 102 sat...dont know where you're getting that info. :)

yah a dtv tech that moved out to spearfish from sioux falls told me that they dont use 101 for their core programming and bounce off 102.

uh the slimline 3 LNB that sees 99/101/103??? My mom got her's installed in Mpls about 3 months ago. If you're thinking Phase III then yes they dont install those anymore :)

not for all. 99 is also used as is 101 & 119 ;)
Mpls locals SD are on 101

YES. the MULTI-SAT. but again we dont use slimline 3lnbs. never have and i dunno if we will.

5 LNBs is good enuf incase something comes up.. we're ready for the 5 lnb in place rather go like i had to do all spring, replace all 18 inch dishs and install 5 lnbs to all current customers who have the old 18inch dishes. directv is always changing the market to make it better and efficent.

YES. the MULTI-SAT. but again we dont use slimline 3lnbs. never have and i dunno if we will.
interesting as here in Minneapolis all they install is slimline 3 LNB. The only 5 LNB installs I've seen recently are for folks who have Spanish channels

interesting as here in Minneapolis all they install is slimline 3 LNB. The only 5 LNB installs I've seen recently are for folks who have Spanish channels

then i guess you'll have to call directv and ask them why midwest (excludes MN) has Slimline 5 LNB bc ive installed in ND, NEB and SD and we do have a tech that drives from yankton to Iowa and still installing 5LNBs there.

but as far as if i go into my Signal in my menu...

i get

101 (of course)
99s (signal yes)
99c (no signal)
103s (no singal)
103c (signal yes)
72.5 (shocked i know but i still get signal from that, but it isnt used)

then i guess you'll have to call directv and ask them why midwest (excludes MN) has Slimline 5 LNB bc ive installed in ND, NEB and SD and we do have a tech that drives from yankton to Iowa and still installing 5LNBs there.

but as far as if i go into my Signal in my menu...

i get

101 (of course)
99s (signal yes)
99c (no signal)
103s (no singal)
103c (signal yes)
72.5 (shocked i know but i still get signal from that, but it isnt used)

Looks like you would need a six LNB dish to get all of those locations.

Looks like you would need a six LNB dish to get all of those locations.

thats bc now 72.5sat transitted to the 103. (before you had to set up a seperate dish, an 18inch dish) but still i do get strength on my 72.5. Ill take a pic of my sat signal when i get a chance and show you i only have ONE dish.

What?? 101 is used. There is not a 102.

*sigh* my god, call the RAPID CITY DIRECTV OFFICE and ask them what SAT they were using or currently using.. bc like i said, they were a ONE DISH MARKET (west river) while east river (Sioux falls) was a TWO dish market til the digital transaction took over. now the east river is now a one dish market on a slimline 5LNB dish.

i dont know why this is confusing but that is how they were set up.. directv told them and trained them this way. 102... 102.. 102...

a guy i worked side by side for a long time moved to spearfish (practically north of rapid city) and told me he is to lock his dishes at 102 sat.

ive never EXPERINCED this.. he did and told me.

[edit]

Active Satellites

Directv currently has a total of 9 active DBS and FSS class satellites in various orbital locations:
  • 72.5° W.L. - Directv 1R (Locals, HDTV)
  • 99.2° W.L. - Spaceway 2 (Ka FSS Band - Locals, HDTV)
  • 101° W.L. - Directv 8, 4-S, 9-S (Core programming, Locals)
  • 102.8° W.L. - Spaceway 1, Directv 10 (Ka FSS Band - Locals, HDTV)
  • 110° W.L. - Directv 5 (Core programming, Locals, HDTV)
  • 119° W.L. - Directv 7-S (Locals, HDTV)
Retired Satellites

The following Directv satellites have been retired or de-orbited and are no longer in service.
  • Directv-2, retired and de-orbited May 2007
  • Directv-3, retired October 2002, leased to Telesat Canada as Nimiq-3
  • Directv-6, damaged in 1997, retired and de-orbited August 2006
[/edit]

guess it still exist. still say there isnt a 102????

Last edited:
Iceberg,

i can see whats going on when you say your mom has a 3LNB. i did some research..

like i stated, we have done installs in NE, IA, SD and parts of ND and they are currently using 5LNB market where it says for in MN is using a 3LNB market.

This is bc before the digital transition took place, NE, IA, SD and parts of ND was under a two dish network (two 18 inch dishes or Multi-sats for HD) and MN and majority of ND had one dish market.

can we call this confusing cleared now?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)