video problem on SyFy HD and MTV HD, Eastern Arc

Thanks ohiankev,that's exactly what I'm seeing.This is on a 37" set to 1080i,vip 612,on eastern arc.I did check my wife's 722 last night,it's on the western arc,no problems at all.Got to be something on the Dish end.

Watched the video, no question about it, I do not see that at all. If you have your TV set to Just Scan set it to 16X9 and see if it still appears.

My tv is set to 16X9.All the lnb health status comes back normal as well.HDCP handshake is fine too.

Breakup due to weak signal etc. isn't going to confine itself to the edges of the screen. I have no idea why some people aren't seeing it, but if it's happening on both a HwS and a 612, it's got to be something on Dish's end.

If most other people are not seeing your problem, it most probably means the problem is on your end, not Dish's. Did you do a system info test?

We already have 3 people here reporting the same issues dwarren.And yea as I mentioned earlier all the tests come back fine.

My tv is set to 16X9.All the lnb health status comes back normal as well.HDCP handshake is fine too.

My TV is set to Full Pixel if I set it to anything else it crops it out of the screen. I ran the diagnostics tests and everything came back fine.
edit/update: I just changed TV's and HDMI cables, same problem.

Last edited:
So, Zach, anything happening on Dish's end?

I received an email reply from DishQuality today stating that not only do they not see a problem, there are no tickets open about it.

Three weeks in, the problem is STILL there!

Watched the video, no question about it, I do not see that at all. If you have your TV set to Just Scan set it to 16X9 and see if it still appears.

Breakup due to weak signal etc. isn't going to confine itself to the edges of the screen. I have no idea why some people aren't seeing it, but if it's happening on both a HwS and a 612, it's got to be something on Dish's end.

I would say the opposite. If it happened on only one receiver type it could be on DISH end, being on different ones may indicate a problem with the transmission itself.

My TV is set to Full Pixel if I set it to anything else it crops it out of the screen. I ran the diagnostics tests and everything came back fine.
edit/update: I just changed TV's and HDMI cables, same problem.

That is what my quote above was getting at. I have seen channels from time to time show noise as is seen in the video on the edges when set to Pixel for Pixel (Full Pixel) but set to 16X9 it goes away. It usually happens with material that was not originally or is not HD. I'm betting this is not a DISH problem, some TV's are more prone to seeing it than others, even if in 16X9 and not Pixel by Pixel sometimes.
Since it remains I am not seeing it at all and only a very few are reporting here (so far) doubtful it is a DISH problem.

It all is related to overscan and that most broadcast sources allow for some overscan, but sometimes not enough. Some TV's have more overscan. Full Pixel lets you see the overscan material but if the material isn't there you get the garbage at the edges.

Yea still see it on Helix,watched it Sunday night and the artifacts are still there on the far left.

I've been having this issue ever since I got my new plasma TV upgraded from a DLP. At the time I didn't notice it only happened on SyFy and Comedy Central. I was convinced it was a bad receiver until I upgraded from a vip722k to a hopper with sling and the problem persisted. Now I am convinced I have had the problem all along and just never saw it due to the DLP cutting the image off. Anyone ever get any resolution?

When I spoke to Dish about it all I got was this:
" I truly apologize if you have to go through this and thank you very much for bringing this matter to our attention.Here's what we need to do I will submit a report to our Engineering Department about this concern so they can look for the possible resolution of this issue at the soonest possible time "

Last edited:
I understand you now have a Hopper.

With Hopper you can go Yellow>Screen Adjustments>Format TV and change the positioning and zoom for almost any screen. It won't be pixel for pixel but can be dog-gone good rescaling.

My 7-year-old Samsung LED (not a bulb) DLP is exact fit but I dare not turn it off or I may not get back on again. To each his own problem.
-Ken

With Hopper you can go Yellow>Screen Adjustments>Format TV and change the positioning and zoom for almost any screen. It won't be pixel for pixel but can be dog-gone good rescaling.

My 7-year-old Samsung LED (not a bulb) DLP is exact fit but I dare not turn it off or I may not get back on again. To each his own problem.
-Ken

Thanks, but I have no desire to scale up the picture to eliminate a problem that shouldn't exist, especially on a $4,000 "Studio Master Panel" plasma.

Thanks, but I have no desire to scale up the picture to eliminate a problem that shouldn't exist, especially on a $4,000 "Studio Master Panel" plasma.
No offense, but out of the millions of TV's hooked up to Hoppers how come your $4000 "Studio Master Panel" is having this issue?

Send a PM to Gregg Loewen here on SatelliteGuys, he is the head calibrator for THX. He will tell it is not uncommon at all for even the BEST panels to have their overscan set wrong from the factory. In fact he might even tell you that NO TV no matter how expensive it is is perfect out of the box. The closest unit that was ever release that was "close" was Joe Kanes Projector

http://www.cnet.com/news/joe-kane-projector-by-samsung-reviewed-lauded/

No offense, but out of the millions of TV's hooked up to Hoppers how come your $4000 "Studio Master Panel" is having this issue?

Send a PM to Gregg Loewen here on SatelliteGuys, he is the head calibrator for THX. He will tell it is not uncommon at all for even the BEST panels to have their overscan set wrong from the factory. In fact he might even tell you that NO TV no matter how expensive it is is perfect out of the box. The closest unit that was ever release that was "close" was Joe Kanes Projector
KKlare was telling me to change the "Screen Adjustment" zoom on the Hopper menu, which I assume he was trying to tell me to zoom in to get rid of the weird little colored distortions on the edges of the screen by zooming the edges of the screen past the viewable area on the TV......which I have no intention of doing.

I'm actually using the recommended advanced settings from CNet (which the forum won't let me post) which has the overscan turned off. When I turn the overscan on it zooms the image and cuts off a large portion of the distortions but not all of them, on some occations they have moved 1/8 of the way into the picture.

I also fail to see how the overscan settings of any TV would only present a problem on two channels out of a hundred, and that same problem would present itself on multiple TVs in the house.

Since this problem only affects certain channels I am leaning towards the signal from these channels, which may very well be my LNBs acting up.

Last edited:
So I just tried Dish Anywhere on my laptop and am seeing the same distortions on the edges of the screen.......does that pretty well eliminate the TVs as the culprit?

I took pictures of both HDTVs and a video as well and a screenshot of the dish anywhere

Living room 65" Plasma

IMG_20140423_155002_790.jpg

Bedroom 50" plasma
IMG_20140423_155309_687.jpg

Dish Anywhere
dishanywhere.png

Last edited by a moderator:
He's not the only one seeing those artifacts Scott.Is it a huge deal to me,not really but,dish should at least look into it and let us know something.

With Hopper you can go Yellow>Screen Adjustments>Format TV and change the positioning and zoom for almost any screen. It won't be pixel for pixel but can be dog-gone good rescaling.-Ken
My Hoppers and Joeys only scale the menu and guide pop-ups, not the actual picture in the screen adjustments tile.

It's hard to say DISH has a general problem with 4 posters over a month and 1/2 posting with the problem. On the other hand, what are the chances all have an LNB problem? Thinking it over, it is possible DISH changed something in the codec that is affecting only a very few TVs for some reason or something in the transmission. The pictures with the left side noise is characteristic of overscan to me or too much picture on the left, some cut off on the right. However the distortion on the bottom in other pictures does not look like that, more like not all the signal being processed. Did the channels that are causing this recently go HDCP?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)