video problem on SyFy HD and MTV HD, Eastern Arc

It's hard to say DISH has a general problem with 4 posters over a month and 1/2 posting with the problem. On the other hand, what are the chances all have an LNB problem? Thinking it over, it is possible DISH changed something in the codec that is affecting only a very few TVs for some reason or something in the transmission.

It isn't a TV problem because it shows up under Dish Anywhere. It could be a receiver problem, but I don't know why it happens with some receivers and not others. If I remember rightly from earlier in this thread, it's been seen on both a ViP receiver and a Hopper, but has also NOT been seen on a Hopper! That doesn't make any sense, unless there are different versions of the Hopper hardware that have the same model number. (I've always maintained that this is a stupid and offensive way to release hardware, ever since Samsung did it with the TV I bought.)

I don't think it's any sort of LNB problem, because those of us who have the problem have it on the same channels, and also I doubt that Dish has come up with some video codec that the rest of the world has never heard of that can selectively apply error correction to the center of the picture!

The lnb or tv assumption doesn't apply imo.VIP 612 on eastern arc,only see that issue on syfy,mtv,and cc.All other channels are fine,don't see the issue with a vip 211 on the same dish,I brought it to the lr to test it out.My wife's 722 doesn't have this issue on different tv and western arc.

Not a peep from Dish and I still have the problem. Getting really annoying as Comedy Central and SyFy are two of my favorite channels.

Yep... Me too...

Hey all...

Joined SatelliteGuys so I could post in this thread... wanted to add to it...

I, too, experience the green, purple and red pixel corruption described...

It is visible on the bottom and/or the sides of the affected channels...

The Channels I see the pixel corruption on are:
SYFY HD
COMEDY CENTRAL HD
MTV HD
BBCA HD
CMT HD
NICK HD

& probably more

My "STATS":

Live in Central Maine, receiving signal on the Eastern Arc...

61.5 Signal strengh AVG: 50 to 60
72.7 Signal strengh AVG: 45 to 57
signal strength AVG on 72.7 transponder 19: 45 to 55
77(not in use) Signal strengh AVG: 33 to 44

Own 2 silver ViP222, Software Version L509, both set to output at 1080i, both exhibiting the corruption...

Switched out HDMI cable and also tried a component cable, both ViP222's still exhibited the corruption...

Own a new 51 inch 1080p Samsung Plasma, Picture Size set to "Screen Fit" (1:1 pixel mapping)...

Any more info needed..?

Hope this helps in remedying the problem...

Last edited:
I just don't get it. Even if it IS only certain receivers, you'd think that Dish would have enough receivers among its employees that someone other than non-employees would've noticed the problem by now! Maybe it's only Eastern Arc so they're not seeing it in Colorado.

I'm watching the others and don't see this issue either. I'm on eastern arc. How frequently does it appear? Any specific shows, commercials, any way to trigger it?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I'm watching the others and don't see this issue either. I'm on eastern arc. How frequently does it appear? Any specific shows, commercials, any way to trigger it?

I just checked all the channels Stormy listed and they all have artifacts except for NICK HD.

I think I should note that NICK HD is airing a episode of Spongebob Sqaurepants in 4:3 ratio and these artifacts do not show up on screen during the airing of shows in the 4:3 ratio, only full HD 16:9. There is no way the equipment, if it has a defect can just say yep, 4:3 showing lets remove the noise from the side (or bottom) of the picture. I would imagine the channel should be broadcasting the noise regardless if the content is in 4:3 or 16:9.

Can you actively be on both arcs ? I have two Dishes one pointed at the EA and WA I would be willing to buy the stuff needed to reconnect the WA to my DISH setup to see if the problem goes away. I would still need 61.5 for my locals in HD.

Also if you have your TVs picture mode in anything other than FULL PIXEL (or whatever else full pixel mode may be named on other TVs) you won't see these artifacts. I've been putting my TV in Normal mode to crop the noise out of my image but I shouldn't have to do this to watch TV.

Last edited:
I'll look closer later, I'm still not seeing it. You can have both ea and WA if you have all the correct equipment and have them separate

The signals can't be combined only separated like EA goes to one Hopper and WA goes to another Hopper? Like say I have EA and WA arc, could i have four SYFY channels ? (two from WA, and two from EA two in HD, two in SD)

I also don't know how the voltage works, but could the LNB be faulty and sending to much voltage through the coaxial causing the noise. If this was the case I would imagine that the voltage would effect the signal (essentially making your DISH unwatchable)

That wouldn't be a supported install configuration and most likely wouldn't work. I've never tried it, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it because I'm certain that it was not a supported option therefore you may run into problems.

That wouldn't be a supported install configuration and most likely wouldn't work. I've never tried it, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it because I'm certain that it was not a supported option therefore you may run into problems.

Well the most I could do is rule out hardware by connecting the WA DISH to the node, removing the EA and see if the noise is the channels in question on the WA. I probably have enough RG6 cable around here to do it. It seems its only a few of us on the EA that is seeing the noise in question. I haven't seen any WA complaints.

I have both ARC's. I have not seen those artifacts thus far. As I mentioned in all the time this thread has existed it seems like a handful are seeing the problem. I don't know exactly what the means but it just can't be a widespread problem. Is there anything all that are seeing can say they have in common, other than what ARC?

Went through the channels listed by others:
SYFY HD
COMEDY CENTRAL HD
MTV HD
BBCA HD
CMT HD
NICK HD

Having the issue on all of them, don't watch MTV, CMT or Nick and had been waiting for Doctor Who and Orphan black to come back on BBC so hadn't noticed till I just checked.

Hopper diagnostic comes back as normal, issue happens on all TVs and dishanywhere, issue persisted from old vip722k to hopper. The only other things I can think it is would be my dish.

The people who are checking and not seeing a problem, could you check using dishanywhere?

It's only happening on the eastern arc.For me it only happens on the 612 receiver.The artifacts are there through an entire show.Here is what I have done so far to rule out equipment.

Took the 612 to the br,that is western arc,no issues.Brought the 722 to the lr eastern arc no issues.So that rules out equipment period.

So to summarize,the 612 only does it on the eastern arc,the 722 doesn't do it on either arc.It's only on the aforementioned channels.Anyway,I'm done worrying about it,nothing of note that I'm watching on said channels atm.Dish will fix it when they fix it I guess.

Are these channels all on the same transponder, and presumably on the same stat mux?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)