Viewsat 9000 Help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

papy

Original poster
May 4, 2014
St louis MO
Thanks for the post
I am having a issue i need help with ,i have a big dish 6 foot at my house and i was trying to get a signal from it a bought a universal Ku Lnb and a HDviewsat receiver ,the dish is not motorized , after connecting everything the receiver shows me a 69 % sginal strenght and a 0 quality .
Any thought about it ?

i have a big dish 6 foot
If this dish is a prime focus, think you'd have better 'luck' with a C band LNBF. If it's an offset, for which the Ku LNBF you have is most likely designed for, the question is: what satellite are you aiming for?
You can get an idea of a satellite to aim for by checking TheList (on the top of the page)
And get the coordinates at www.dishpointer.com

Welcome to the site!
What satellite/Channels are you trying to receive? Like FaT said, is this prime focus or off-set?

Welcome to SatGuys!

What satellite is your dish aimed at and what transponders are you trying for? It could be the dish is mis-aimed or a setting in your receiver. You can double check your elevation, azimuth, declination, etc, settings at dishpointer.com. Probably your cables and LNB are ok, if not, you wouldn't have the 69% signal strength.

I don't think the Viewsat 9000 receives DVB-S2, or it has trouble with DVB-S2, might be worth making sure to lock onto a DVB-S transponder and not DVB-S2.

What kind of dish is this? Six foot may not be good for Ku, depending on what type of dish it is and how the LNB is mounted. A picture of your LNB and how it's mounted on the dish might be helpful, or the type of dish and the model of the LNB.

DSC00301.JPGDSC00302.JPGDSC00300.JPGDSC00298.JPG I have added picture of the dish and LNB used ,I am a beginner i really do not know what i am aiming for . i first wanna get any channel then i can try to aim for some specific ones .i also don't have any meter with me to detect the sognal or orientation of the dish ,(not too sure where my dish is aiming right now) the blue LNB was found on the dish i do not have much information about it but it was used with a drake 324 earth satellite receiver i struggle to take it out so had to hook up my LNB (orange ) with out taking the old one out .My LnB info : Universal Single KU LNBF RF Frequency : 10.7-12.75 GHZ IF frequency 950 -2150 MHZ Lo frequency 9750/10600MHZ noise figure 0.2db .Thank you so much for you input.

Last edited:
As mounted, the Ku LNBF isn't going to work. It is too far in front of the focal point. (dishes are large 'lenses') The focal point is about a 1/4 in inside the piece it's in front of. (Feed throat) * That Ku LNBF might work if it replaces the feed throat leaving the scalar** in place. Placing it's face about the same place as the existing feed throat. BUT aiming a big dish is very, very, touchy at Ku frequencies.
* there's actually more measuring and adjusting to make sure it is 'perfect'.
**The multi channeled mount piece

For 'giggles' and maybe finding out 'where' it's aimed. Remove your Ku LNBF and connect the coax to the existing LNB. Then, in the receiver, find Blind Scan^, and do one. See if it gets any transponders and shows something for Quality. (might get lucky and see a channel even)
^ in the set-up change the L.O. to 5150, then blind scan.

NOTE: whenever connecting/disconnecting coax ensure the receiver power is OFF.
Do you have the original receiver? Could be used to move the dish and ???
Replace the LNB and feed throat with a C band LNBF??
Picture of the backside??

i will definitely post the picture of the back of the dish tomorrow , i had hard time removing the old LNB (blue on the picture ) the screws are old and rusty, I might need to cut them or something.I still have the old receiver but the motor system broke . will try all the option that you talked about and will let you know .
Hopefully i get something out of it . what do you use to read the dish orientation ?

what do you use to read the dish orientation ?
Dial gauge angle finder
Dial_Gauge_Angle_Finder1.jpg

I'd say we'd like to aim at 97° West (Galaxy 19) as it's channels (200+ of them) are all DVB-S*. This makes it an 'easy target. Many are foreign language. But there's some good English language channels there also.
*Don't think the Viewsat 9000 is capable of DVB-S2. That's what most new services use as well as what established services are migrating to. Not to worry, those on 97° will stay DVB-S for the foreseeable future.

i posted picture of the back of my dish ,when i tried to connect the old LNB i got nothing ,i even used the old receiver ,one thing which i do not understand is that the output port of the old LNB (bleu on the picture ) is bigger than than normal LNB cable
i posted the picture of a circuit that used to receive the out put of the old LNB it is written (3.7 to 4.2 GHZ at the LNB input and 3.7MHZ at the coax output )
what is the normal output of a C band output signal frequency? ),
Also my receiver is HD , I am not sure if this is the raison i get 0 % quality )
the new LNB ajusted did not give any output either ..i will have to get a different receiver
DSC00309.JPGDSC00314.JPGDSC00312.JPGDSC00311.JPGDSC00310.JPG

OMG - that's not an LNB, it's an C band LNA (low noise amplifier). Not worth leaving up there. I'd replace it with a C band LNBF and be 'dun wit it'. There's a heck of a good one available today - the Titanium C1PLL . Some cheaper could be a BSC421. (Worked good for me)
FWIW - pic 1 & 4 are the LNC (low noise converter) that takes the 4Ghz from the LNA down to 70Mhz for the old receiver. A single channel at a time. The LNC is also the 'tuner'. Not nowhere compatible with today's 'stuff'.
The outputs of todays LNB's and LNBF's is approximately 940Mhz to 2400Mhz. All channels/transponders are 'on the coax' at once. Tuning is done in the 'box' alone. See the FAQ's LNB L.O. frequency 101
To make operation the easiest, a V-Box could be added, and get rid of the old receiver. Control all operation via the FTA box's remote. (I did a few yrs ago, and don't look back)
Nice looking dish. Almost 'commercial' looking.

Not seen an LNA in a long time, I've got one here in a junk box somewhere. :) I agree take it off replace with a C1-PLL and be good to go. If you want to maintain polarotor control then look for a good lnb, but then you would still need the receiver to control it or get a Titanium ASC1.

Last edited:
I think Michael meant to get a good quality LNB to replace the old LNA. If you wish to kept servo polarity and ability to fine tune the skew. LNBF incorporates a feedhorn and uses voltage to switch between polarities. Very convenient, but you lose the ability to adjust the skew to optimize signal quality.

Brian Gohl
Titanium Satellite

Yep that is what I meant. ;) No where to hook up Polarotor wires on a LNBF. :D

Hi, papy,
Probably the easiest start for you would be getting programs from Galaxy 19. The satellite is at 97 W; for St. Louis its true (not magnetic) azimuth is 190.8 degree, and its elevation is 44.7 degree.
Seems your dish has polar mount. Assuming its actuator is disengaged, you could move the dish manually, following the arc with satellites.
Definitely, to use your Ku universal LNBF, you need to place it, like FaTAir said, in the focal spot of this dish.
Therefore you have to remove the old LNA, and install LNBF in its place.
If on May 11 is a sunny day, at 1.13 to 1.14 PM the Sun will be at azimuth close to 191 degree, so, you have to turn the dish as to get the shadow of LNBF exactly below the dish's center, on the vertical axis of the dish.
Your receiver has to be pre-programmed to receive one of Galaxy 19 transponders.
Make sure with an angle finder that the dish is pointing to the elevation (altitude) 44.7
If your LNBF is too close to the dish, it will not get signal "condensed" enough - see the following picture
IMG_1483.JPG

Thanks for all your comments. i got a BSC421 and placed it on my dish , i also got a dish orientation from www.dishpointer.com/ on the picture (word doc 2 attached you can see my dish ) it is a Big dish and the motor does work i will have to figure out how to move it to point in the right direction .View attachment 97482View attachment 97483 you right polgyver my easiest choice will be galaxy 17 or 19 .i hope to get some signal soon .

OF9J7hgl4ZJexfMO8LE74dX5sK3ncAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Check the bearings the dish moves on. Don't want any slop or binding.
The actuator that moves the dish, make sure its also not binding and slop is minimal.
Is this a 'fresh' install, or has the dish been used previously in it's present position?
No? it's been used (skip down to SKEW
Yes? Continue - -
In order to 'how to move it to point in the right direction' I will refer you to some reading that I've put on the web. http://theho.web.fc2.com/BUD/ (Dang, they've cluttered it with adverts, may have to move it)
First step is finding the "Zenith" satellite (or the one closest to your Longitude)
Once you think you have the 'handle' on it. come and question away.

SKEW - IIRR to 'skew' the BSC421 correctly, when the dish is moved to zenith, the '0' alignment mark should be pointed at the east horizon. (horizontal)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts