Vinyl Collectors out there?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Gorbash

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
Fayetteville, Texas
Just wondering if anyone out there still collects music on vinyl?

I recently came into some LPs from a friend, and after borrowing my dad's turntable I've been loving the sound that comes from them. I also started getting some newer music on vinyl. I've found it a very visceral experience listening to music.

There is a ton of records on eBay and even Amazon carries a great deal, plus all the other websites that specialize in vinyl. Typically they aren't much more than a CD, and if you go by size to price, they are cheaper. :rolleyes:

I'm not an audiophile, so I don't hear a major difference in sound quality, but I must admit vinyl does have a very rich tone, and I can actually see the albums artwork.

A lot of artists have started producing their stuff more on vinyl, U2 released their newest album on vinyl (heavily promoted a couple weeks ago on Letterman) and Pearl Jam just re-released "Ten" on the big black disk.

How big is your collection? :confused:

My folks have two boxes in a closet, and I just started mine.

I don't have a collection, but I do have a bunch of records that I have failed to throw away. Mostly 80s and some 70s stuff.

I guess you could call me a "passive" collector. I don't actively seek them out but I certainly don't turn them down when I find them. I do have quite a collection, some of which are in excellent condition and the sound quality is very very good.

I probably have 100-150 LPs.

I've got several hundred mostly 70's and 80's; some Quad and a few audiophile heavy vinyl and Half Speed Mastered records. The new vinyl I have is Bruce Springsteen's "Working on a Dream", AC/DC "Black Ice" and John Fogerty's "Revival".

I have a separate audio system from my home theater. It consists of:

Carver CT-7 Tuner/Preamp
Carver TFM-45 Amp
Denon DCI-1015 CD Player
JVC JL-F50 Turntable w/Shure M97xE Cartridge
TEAC 3300 Reel to Reel
Pioneer CTF-9191 Cassette
RG Dynamics Pro-16 dynamic range expander
Pioneer SG-9500 Equalizer
Technics SB-7000 Speakers - Pic

NightRyder

Attachments

• sb7000.jpg
    sb7000.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 283
Great thread !! I'm like 'Ryder - have several hundred from my original collection (70s - 80s) that are still serviceable. My Technics SL-1500 DD turntable still works great. I was happily surprised to see that my new Sony AV receiver included a 5mV-level phono input when I put it into service last May, so I bought a new stylus for my Shure V15 Type IV cartridge (aftermarket as Shure no longer makes them) and after about a 10-year hiatus of listening to vinyl, I'm "back in business". My daughter has taken great delight in this "new" extension to our music collection! Cool hearing all this coming out of my 7.1 surround sound system! In my case, it's a good improvement over my old stereo system based on a Kenwood KR-9600 receiver and JBL L65 speakers. I still have my very basic cassette recorder connected, and also resurrected my RS R-R recorder (made by Teac). I also have a number of 7" R-R tapes in my analog collection, and a hundred or so cassettes that I'm not particularly proud of. I haven't added any new vinyl, but tks for mentioning "Ten" - I'll definitely want to get that one!

I agree with the OP that there is a "warmth" to analog music. In spite of all the flaws, there is still some great listening to be had from vinyl! I could hear the harshness in CDs from the get go (not nearly as bad in SACDs, of which I am still building a collection).

Here's a good source for domestic and foreign pressings. They also sell a good bit of high-end audio gear including some esoteric TTs and accessories:

Import and Domestic Vinyl, SACD, DVD Audio, Audiophile Hardware - musicdirect - (800) 449-8333

Last edited:
I would love to someday set up a separate listening room aside from the home theater.
I might just have to do a "dual purpose" room as I don't have a separate room available for use right now.
I have a Luxman LV-105 Hybrid amplifier (tube pre-amp stage). I would like to use for this purpose. It currently needs some MOS-FETs for the output stage and I've found a source from another forum. My only problem now is finding the time to repair it and set it up properly. This is something I don't want to do half assed.
As far as speakers go, I think I'd like to build my own for this project but again, the time is a problem for me right now. I've built numerous different subwoofer enclosures for automotive use (and one currently in use in my home theater) so I have all the tools and necessary skills. Unfortunately my hearing is not what it used to be as I abused it when I was younger so the benefits of such a room may be difficult to realize. Maybe it's just a pipe dream, I dunno.
I do know that there would certainly be a turntable in this setup. Currently I use a Technics linear tracking unit (can't remember the model and I'm at work) which isn't brilliant but it does do the job. I have a big heavy old Sony direct drive (or maybe it's belt drive.......no, I think direct) unit that my Mom is using which would be a much better candidate for a nice cartridge someday..........

I have a huge selection of albums and 45's from the 60's, 70's, 80's and early 90's. Most are in great shape. Once in a blue moon I will fire up my HPM 100's and have some fun. Without Googling anyone know what they are?

Last edited:
Just looked 'em up. I want. I am using an old pair of Philips Magnavox bookshelf speakers that came with an old system. They sound great. Great range and a decent size magnet.

I also feel like an utter noob. I figured out what the ground wire was for, and the plug on the back of my receiver. I had wired the speakers backwards and while looking at the back panel I noticed a screw that said ground and it dawned on me what the green wire coming out of the turntable was. A real duh moment. The buzzing I was hearing is gone. Big duh...

I also noticed a two pronged outlet. I made a guess that it was for the turntable as it said don't plug TV or monitor into (also in French). I'm guessing it is to provide "clean" power to the turntable itself? It powers the turntable just fine. Just hope I'm not making a big mistake using this plug, as I've never used it before, and I'd like to not ruin my fathers turntable before my new one arrives, although it is on every piece of A/V equipment I've ever owned.

I am really loving the vinyl I'm finding. Got some Nirvana albums that I had on tape, and some older rock. Also found an old 45 of a He-Man audio book from my childhood.

I just wish Amazon took better care about shipping their records. They just place them on the bottom of boxes with the airbags on top of them. Not very safe.

You are ok doing that. Most of the old recievers had a switched and non switched outlet. It was for tt's, equalizers and tapedecks. tt's need the ground.

Took a bit of Googling but I found an answer to what the plug was for. It was in a PDF file for a user manual, had a nice picture diagram of what went where, so my fears are unwarranted.

whats vinyl for music? is that the material they use for tapes :D
Guess someone had to say it.

Last edited:
I got back into vinyl few years ago. I have around 1,000 records now. I do like the feel of vinyl better than cds.

I guess to stay on track with the OP, My collection is stagnant. Haven't been in a so called record store in years. We still have one locally. May have to stop by and give it a spin.:D oops that was bad sorry.....

I did ask an off topic question. Hijacked my own thread I guess.

I have an awesome idea to build an entertainment center in my living room specifically for music. Gonna take some woodworking skills.

I did ask an off topic question. Hijacked my own thread I guess.

I have an awesome idea to build an entertainment center in my living room specifically for music. Gonna take some woodworking skills.
I have a spare bedroom with all my stuff. Wife loves it. Wish I could put it in the den but not enough room.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)