vinyl siding chimney - strap

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks everyone with your help. The association is trying to put in me in a hard place. They really aren't telling me to move it now. I am responsible for any damage to the outside of the unit. They have this program that runs to the end of the year. If I move my dish now, they will pick up the roof repair. I can leave the dish where it is now. Just that when it comes time to replace the roof, I will have to pay for the roof repair. At that time I have to move the dish off the roof.

You have given me some ideas on how to respond to the board as well as how I can set up my dish somewhere else.

Thanks all for the responses!

IF you really have to mount the dish on your "chimney" here is what you are looking at. The issue is there is nothing to bolt the dish to and any attempt to use the structure that is there will result in damage to the siding or not support the dish..

It is EZ to remove one length of siding from the chimney. There is a cheap tool to do this. Then you have to build in a secure piece of lumbr (2x6 is fine) that will allow bolting the mast base.

Then the siding goes back with proper edge moulding and caulk.

The mast then gets attached to the new bigger better lumber. and wired to your condo.

You might consider a single dish for several neighboring units. Not everyone needs their own dish.....you would have to share the expense of a multiswitch that would serve all.

Joe

Last edited:
IF you really have to mount the dish on your "chimney" here is whatyou are looking at. The issue is there is nothing to bolt the dish to and any attempt to use the structure that is there will result in damage to the siding.

It is EZ to remove one length of siding from the chimney. There is a cheap tool to do this. Then you have to build in a secure piece of lumbrt (2x6 is fine) that will allow bolting the mast base.

Then the siding goes back with proper edge moulding and caulk.

The then gets dish gets attached to the new bigger better lumber. and wired to your condo.

You might consider a single dish for several neighboring units. Not everyone needs their own dish.....you would have to share the expense of a multiswitch that would serve all.
Joe

This also is a very good idea ..... providing the OP is handy and able to remove siding and replace it ......
Make sure the Mounting block is large enough to handle the footprint of the dish your using before you do this.

This also is a very good idea ..... providing the OP is handy and able to remove siding and replace it ......
Make sure the Mounting block is large enough to handle the footprint of the dish your using before you do this.

Yes,

This is carpentry. I have seen "punch list" carpenters do this kind of thing while eating their lunch. They have the tools and the skills. And I have see Directv techs with the nice new shirts that won't get off the ladder.

It is not part of the FREE installation!

Joe

Yes,

This is carpentry. I have seen "punch list" carpenters do this kind of thing while eating their lunch. They have the tools and the skills. And I have see Directv techs with the nice new shirts that won't get off the ladder.

It is not part of the FREE installation!

Joe

This is something that I would do, but then, I've done plenty of siding work.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)