ViP 622 & 722 Running Bug Thread

For the past two weeks, I have experienced an intermittent (about 1/3 of the time, but random) issue with my 622. When I turn on the system with my Universal remote (which I have had for years and never had a problem with), I get the screen that says to turn on the sat. receiver, press "select"...I do, and nothing happens. Sometimes it goes into a full restart sequence. A couple of times, I have had to hold in the power button and force the restart myself. Bottom line, I am getting very tired of this happening and having to wait 10 minutes for the sat to fire up.

Anyone else experiencing this issue lately, or is this an isolated sign that my 622 HD DVR is about to bite the dust?

I've been having the same thing with my 722. My 622 is fine.

Curious if there is any word on if any known update is coming down the pipe for my existing, easily reproducable, and utterly annoying bug?

VIP222k here. TV1 fed via composite to an SD 4:3 set, TV2 over RF to another SD 4:3 set. No matter what, if a channel is changed on TV2 the aspect format on TV1 is changed. Most often I'll be on an HD channel and set it to stretch mode and it will be kicked back to normal aspect so everything is super squished. 16:9 crammed into a 4:3 frame. I've also had it happen the opposite viewing SD channels where the aspect will be normal but upon channel change of TV2, TV1 will be doing a vertical stretch number with the tops and bottoms off screen.

More specifically I'd love it if they could let me use TV2's aspect options on TV1 when connected to an SD set. Particularly being able to choose letterboxed or normal (essentially what 'stretch' is now).

Software version: 722k L662
Mode bug occurred in: Dual
Dish setup: 1000.2
Description of bug: "No need to call Dish Network is working on the problem" screen when rewinding Live TV buffer on a local channel in order to record the remainder of a show. Just recently, on my local PBS, a family member was watching a particular show, which I wished to record the whole 30-minute show, after the show was over. The whole show was in the Live TV buffer, and so I was rewinding to get to the beginning of the show. Upon making adjustments, trying to get to the very beginning of the show, to record the "remainder of event," after rewinding, the moment I pressed pause, I received a blue DISH Network screen stating not to call blah blah blah the issue is being worked on, indicating that the local channel was out. It said I could press the "guide" button and navigate to another channel. At that moment, the receiver refused to let me rewind, fast-forward, or record the Live TV buffer, forcing me to change channels. I changed channels, other local channel worked, tuned back into the PBS channel, and it was working just fine. Now I couldn't record the show, because the buffer was cleared. Really pissed me off.
OTA Antenna: None

Well - it's a few weeks later & still no answer. As long as my external antenna cable is disconnected my 722K runs fine. If I connect it the receiver starts freezing & re-booting within 24 hours.

I spoke with another tech in advanced support & he suggested that I have a "feedback loop" caused by either a faulty ground on my antenna, or some other malfunction of the antenna, preamp, or cable from the antenna. They are now basically throwing the problem onto me as the antenna is not their equipment.

So far I have replaced a couple of the components without any success - I have not replaced the antenna or preamp, as they were new in the summer of 09. Nothing I do with the ground seems to make any difference.

Does anyone know anything about electronics that may have some insight to offer?

If it wasn't for having most of last years Saints games saved on the EHD I would switch to Directv today.....

Last edited:
Have you tried bypassing or removing the preamp? If too strong a digital signal comes in, it can cause problems with other tuners and possibly the action you are seeing is how this affects dish. Prior to my retirement, I solved many viewer problems by telling them to get rid of the preamp. It is usually not needed for Digital OTA.

Have you tried bypassing or removing the preamp? If too strong a digital signal comes in, it can cause problems with other tuners and possibly the action you are seeing is how this affects dish. Prior to my retirement, I solved many viewer problems by telling them to get rid of the preamp. It is usually not needed for Digital OTA.

Thanks Barry I'd like to try- will it work if I simply disconnect the powered portion in the house, or do I need to remove it from the antenna also?

Thanks Barry I'd like to try- will it work if I simply disconnect the powered portion in the house, or do I need to remove it from the antenna also?

Try unplugging the power supply and then do a scan on your receiver. I think you will see nothing because without power the amp at the antenna will not pass anything through. It's worth a try though.

Add me to the list of owners with dead 622s...thing wouldn't stop rebooting all day, several times took close to an hour to get through the boot sequence. The final straw was about an hour ago when I got the dreaded 311 message. Can still only watch for a little while before it will inevitably crash again.

edit: finally got them on chat...$15 later getting a replacement...yay me LOL

Last edited:
How I solved my 722k freeze issue: Have 2 722k's. Both are connected to a Clear Stream 2. Antennas Direct | Outdoor TV Antennas for HDTV Reception. Each run is 50'. Splitter on roof divides the runs to another splitter on each 722k and the tuner in the TV's. No amplifiers are used. Antenna is 25' high. Signal strength in the 90's. Even with a strong signal would get freezes. Using a digital storage oscilliscope I detected a "ghost of the signal" at a much lower level. This indicated a small impedance mismatch which most likely affects the first 2 meters of coax at the connection to the antenna. Put another way the RG6 would not be perfectly shielded and would act as another antenna picking up the same signal, but at a slightly different time. This would confuse a sensitive tuner, which I believe the 722k is. By routing the RG6 vertically from the middle of the antenna for the first 2 meters and keeping it away from anything metallic solved my problem. The "ghost" signal has disappeared on the scope. It was so low that it probably wasn't noticeable on the old analog system.
Not one freeze or reboot in months. Others may have a different set of issues. But this may resolve it for some.

How I solved my 722k freeze issue: Have 2 722k's. Both are connected to a Clear Stream 2. Antennas Direct | Outdoor TV Antennas for HDTV Reception. Each run is 50'. Splitter on roof divides the runs to another splitter on each 722k and the tuner in the TV's. No amplifiers are used. Antenna is 25' high. Signal strength in the 90's. Even with a strong signal would get freezes. Using a digital storage oscilliscope I detected a "ghost of the signal" at a much lower level. This indicated a small impedance mismatch which most likely affects the first 2 meters of coax at the connection to the antenna. Put another way the RG6 would not be perfectly shielded and would act as another antenna picking up the same signal, but at a slightly different time. This would confuse a sensitive tuner, which I believe the 722k is. By routing the RG6 vertically from the middle of the antenna for the first 2 meters and keeping it away from anything metallic solved my problem. The "ghost" signal has disappeared on the scope. It was so low that it probably wasn't noticeable on the old analog system.
Not one freeze or reboot in months. Others may have a different set of issues. But this may resolve it for some.

Multipath. Dish OTA receivers will not tolerate it.

But being unable to decode the signal shouldn't mean crashing the host system...

ViP222K format issues on TV1

We have the same setup as cr08 and experience the same problems with the TV1 format changing when TV2 changes channels or when you change format on TV2. It is driving my Dad crazy :rant:with it changing format on his TV. Tried to contact Dish and they seem like they have never hear of this issue. They even sent us another receiver, only to have it do the same thing. Does anyone know who can fix this problem at Dish?

Curious if there is any word on if any known update is coming down the pipe for my existing, easily reproducable, and utterly annoying bug?

VIP222k here. TV1 fed via composite to an SD 4:3 set, TV2 over RF to another SD 4:3 set. No matter what, if a channel is changed on TV2 the aspect format on TV1 is changed. Most often I'll be on an HD channel and set it to stretch mode and it will be kicked back to normal aspect so everything is super squished. 16:9 crammed into a 4:3 frame. I've also had it happen the opposite viewing SD channels where the aspect will be normal but upon channel change of TV2, TV1 will be doing a vertical stretch number with the tops and bottoms off screen.

More specifically I'd love it if they could let me use TV2's aspect options on TV1 when connected to an SD set. Particularly being able to choose letterboxed or normal (essentially what 'stretch' is now).

722 with update having an issue deleting

both my 722's got their updates a week back, they are fed by a dish 500 and a dish 300 for 61.5. each is tv1 hdmi, and tv2 coax to a 4:3. they share ota from a stealth. btw, the kids receiver the one i'm having the issue with was hit with a power spike (the whole neighborhood) a couple of days before the update went through and I lost the phone line input, dish phone tech said don't worry about it, "you don't need it hooked up to a phone line", so thats where i am.

well my kids dvr has over 500 spongebobs recorded plus about 200 more of other shows so when you click to view whats recorded it has a delay, then a longer delay to open the spongebob folder. so i opened the s.p. folder selected all shows and hit delete. after some time has gone by, maybe 3-5 minutes the unit reboots itself, after the reboot i tried to press the button to see if the delete worked and nothing happened. couple minutes later it rebooted itself again, when completed updating i checked the s.p. folder and found it only deleted about 100 shows. So today i tried again and it did the same thing.

Last edited:
Got L671 this morning and if I go into Dish Online, TV Shows, Browse by Network my 722 freezes and crashes. I had problems with my UHF remote but it's working again.

Got L671 this morning and if I go into Dish Online, TV Shows, Browse by Network my 722 freezes and crashes. I had problems with my UHF remote but it's working again.
I got L671 today too. I could go to Dish Online, TV Shows and I downloaded an episode of Bridezilla to test. I was able to start watching it, then I stopped it and deleted it. At that point, my 722 froze and crashed.

I got L671 today too. I could go to Dish Online, TV Shows and I downloaded an episode of Bridezilla to test. I was able to start watching it, then I stopped it and deleted it. At that point, my 722 froze and crashed.

After about the fifth or sixth time it crashed I was able to get the Video of Demand stuff to work, and was able to browse by network.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts