ViP 622 & 722 Running Bug Thread

HD pixelation only on record

So strange. Beginning last week, each time I paused or recorded, the playback would have either pixelation or yellow screen intermittently. Here's the strange part: only NBC and CBS HD do this. Live viewing is fine; it's the buffered or recorded stuff that's bad. I'm in the San Francisco area, if that makes any difference. Rebooting did not help, and signal strength is fine. Tech support is no help...they just said to move my saved stuff to an external drive, and reboot. Can anyone offer insights on this? Thanks.

Your receiver got updated with L5.10 software. Others are seeing the same thing, specifically with satellite-delivered HD channels that broadcast in 1080i. You're having no problems with ABC and FOX, right ?

I have two 622's since I upgraded to HD back in Jan this year. Both tv's we notice occasional dropouts audio and video as if our signal is poor. Dish came out twice changed lnb and checked connections etc. It still does it. It doesn't do it often. I have posted a couple of other topics and have been asked if it only does this when its "hot" outside and if it only does it during the "day". So am I right that this is a bug, its not an issue on my end?

CBS and NBC pixelation

Hall - yes, that's right. I only have problems on playback with CBS and NBC. Fox, ABC and all other HD channels are fine. Is there anything that can be done? Can I roll back to a previous version of the software?

You NEED to CALL Dish and complain. Don't mention a s/w update, just tell them a few days ago your local NBC and CBS were fine and now they're not. Don't give them too much information, just "facts".

That's all you can do. You can't stop s/w updates nor can you roll them back.

Search function bug

When I use the search function and get matches from channels 383 (HDNMV) and 366 (UNIHD) the system reports two matches: a correct one from the original channel and a duplicate listing for channel 9400 (RSRCH), where the latter is an incorrect match. This problem started about a month ago.

My problem is the listing of blacked-out 5510 for HDNet in addition to 9422. This channel is not listed in All Channels. Is it for some other package? It is blacked out but then 9422 shows "duplicate event." I would select only channel 9422 but I want to use only one of my busy timers for the OTA CW channel of Smallville as well. At least Smallville is in early reruns seen several times.

I suppose it is selected first because of the lower number but then it thinks this is the same as the "real" HDNet. BTW, this not the only channel affected by this software bug on my 722. Maybe I could enable the low number version--just what I needed more listings and wiping many timers.
-Ken

Audio dropouts remain with 5.12

I'm yet having audio dropouts with OTA local channels even after the update to 5.12, including PBS which is 1080i. Not with live programming, only with recorded or delayed shows. If I rewind after a dropout, it doesn't repeat itself. Meaning that: (1) it's not a problem with my receiver (otherwise it would happen with live shows too) (2) it's not a problem with my Toslink cable (otherwise it would happen with all other channels and in all modes) (3) it's not a broadcast signal problem (otherwise it would repeat itself after rewinding and it would happen when watching live programming) (4) it's caused by a DVR bug (only logical explanation). I also suspect that the audio dropouts do not happen with the analog outputs, only with the optical/Dolby Digital output, although I need to test that yet. Furthermore, the problem started with FW 5.11, since I'm 100% sure that the problem didn't exist with 4.49 and previous FWs. Audio was flawless until about one month ago. Finally, it doesn't look like the stream of data is interrupted -- my receiver has speaker relays that "click" when there is an interruption due to signal loss or cable disconnection. These dropouts happen without producing the clicks or changes in the stream status panel, so it looks more like the sound is muted at the 622 or there is a mismatch between audio and video streams that leads to lack of sound during the audio glitches, without affecting the continuity of the streams.

Audio dropouts appear to depend on PQ and compression levels

As I said in my previous post, my 622 audio dropouts happen only with OTA HD local channels (over antenna). Not with OTA SD local channels. They started with 5.11. I just confirmed that the dropouts do not happen when I use the RCA stereo output. They happen only with the TOSLINK stream. It's not a receiver problem, since the dropouts don't happen when in live mode. They only happen when using the DVR or when watched delayed (time shifted). If I rewind and watch the same segment again, I notice that the dropouts never happen twice at the same point. It may take from 1 minute to 30 minutes for a dropout to happen, depending on the show. It appears that the problem depends on the quality of the stream. The more compressed the stream, the less dropouts I observe. Therefore, the higher the PQ, the more frequent are the dropouts. I believe this explains why I don't observe audio dropouts with satellite channels: satellite streams have been very compressed lately.

Audio dropouts over satellite

I noticed today audio dropouts with recorded programming from HDMOV (over satellite). Pressing the "skip back" button once would not reproduce the dropout, but pressing the "skip back" button twice would always reproduce it at exactly the same spot. As if the processor would "clog" with a longer stream of audio. Signal was strong and there was no loss of signal during recording. Video was perfect. These audio dropouts are frustrating, since they never happened before FW 5.11 came in. Again, they appear to be more common when video compression is low and PQ is high, as was the case with this HDMOV movie.

Did you by chance have vertical color bars displayed?
My 622 has gone to the color bars with sound still playing 3 times in 2 days, it does not try to acquire signal, so I do a power button reboot to fix it
Anybody else have this problem?
Dan

My 622 is in a constant state of reboot and the screen will flash purple and also I will get a white vertical bar that flash once or twice. But the 622 never makes it out of the reboot and will reboot again continually.

Hey fish I had a 622 with the never ending reboot problem. Only one green light and the HD spinning. After a couple of days it worked again, looked as it was an incomplete Software download. But them the rebooting came back but this time a couple of seconds after the receiver finished the acquiring signal 1 to 5 procedure.

They send me another unit and this one has to be rebooted a couple of times a day and and it has constant video droputs, never loose the audio. Many times the video won't returned, a reboot is needed.

Hey fish I had a 622 with the never ending reboot problem. Only one green light and the HD spinning. After a couple of days it worked again, looked as it was an incomplete Software download. But them the rebooting came back but this time a couple of seconds after the receiver finished the acquiring signal 1 to 5 procedure.

They send me another unit and this one has to be rebooted a couple of times a day and and it has constant video droputs, never loose the audio. Many times the video won't returned, a reboot is needed.

Believe it or not I had gone through the same thing again. I am on my 3rd 622. Dish refunded me money for not being able to watch tv. I asked why they cannot send me a new rreceiver instead of a refurbished one and they said it was luck of the draw basically.

Sounds like your dish is mis-aligned. Data errors either over the dish or OTA can cause CPU problems (reboots) with receivers.

vip models seem to be super sensitive to static electric build up, this is what causes the perpetual rebooting, get a electric recptacle testing device if you are continuaosly going through these receivers, a bad ground will cause your receiver to reboot repeatedly, and possibly damafe power components so that even in a good outlet your receiver wont stay on, signal loss or low signal does not cause rebooting, if software doesnt finish downloading your receiver will display an error 061 message, i dont know about receivers finishing downloading but htere being errors in it....

New bugs with the L6.12 firmware:

1) De-interlacing not working as it was before. Scanning lines are visible on edges of moving objects on some programming. Switching from 1080i to 720p seems to soften the effect a bit, but it is still noticeable. When my 622 was on L5.10 and earlier this was never a problem.

2) A small image appearing in the upper left-hand quadrant of the screen after switching out of the Dish Online application (some have called it the "mini-me" bug). Only fix I have found so far is cycling through the zoom settings.

New bugs with the L6.12 firmware:

1) De-interlacing not working as it was before. Scanning lines are visible on edges of moving objects on some programming. Switching from 1080i to 720p seems to soften the effect a bit, but it is still noticeable. When my 622 was on L5.10 and earlier this was never a problem.

The only time the 622 would de-interlace would be on a 1080i channel with your output resolution set to 720p. So if you have your setting at 1080i there must be something else going on. Your TV would be doing the de-interlacing.

rebooting problems

I have the same reboot problem. Started last week, Dish sent a replacement (luck of draw ) remanf. unit. It is even worse. Moved power to a total different circuit ( tested fine) and there is a 222 on that other outlet working fine, but the 622 isstill in an endless reboot. All three other recievers I have work fine.

I have the same reboot problem. Started last week, Dish sent a replacement (luck of draw ) remanf. unit. It is even worse. Moved power to a total different circuit ( tested fine) and there is a 222 on that other outlet working fine, but the 622 isstill in an endless reboot. All three other recievers I have work fine.
Hi Dave,

I am also on my 3rd 622. latest was also a remanufactured and started problem again the day after i got it. problem goes away for a week or so and then comes back. I am at wits end about what to do. How about you?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)