VIP 622 screen cutoffs

bobl

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
San Francisco Bay Area
I just switched back to Dish Network yesterday after 21 months and activated a 622. I'm noticing that some of the graphics are cut off at the top and bottom of the screen. I believe I remember reading here that the last line in the extended program guide is partially cut off due to a bug in the software but I'm also seeing that the program banner at the top of the screen is also partially cutoff. These problems occur when the output resolution is set to 480i or 1080i but don't appear when it's set to 720p. Can someone confirm this problem is software related and will hopefully be fixed or let me know if your experience is different. I'm using the component output.

Bob

Could be that the convergence / overscan on your TV need to be adjusted. I adjusted mine after getting the 622, since I had never had anything producing 1080i before, and had previously had to replace the convergence module in the TV, I can't tell you what the default should be. Looks fine after I adjusted everything though.

With a properly adjusted fixed pixel display (like plasma/lcd) you can get the entire guide on there just perfect. When I hook it up to my tube TV, there is significant overscan on the TV's part and about 1/2 of the bottom line is cut off.

It is likely a function of your TV (tube TVs overscan, or enlarge the picture beyond what you can see, because over time the picture will shrink on tubes. They want you to go 20 years before the picture starts to shrink to the point where you can see it).

My television is a six-year old Pioneer Elite PRO-710HD tube based projection set. It sounds as though the problem is with my set's overscan setting. Is this something that would likey have to be corrected by a technician? Is this setting independent for 480i, 480p and 1080i or maybe for interlaced versus progressive? If the setting can be adjusted for each resolution independently then this issue makes more sense as everything looks fine at 480p but problems exist at both 480i and 1080i.

It's weird because I don't see any problem with the actual television picture. For instance, the crawls at the bottom of the screen on ESPNHD and ESPNHD2 look fine while the last line in the 622 program guide is partially cut off. Also, the 622 graphics are fine when the 622 is set to 480p.

Bob

Last edited:
bobl said:
My television is a six-year old Pioneer Elite PRO-710HD tube based projection set. It sounds as though the problem is with my set's overscan setting. ...
Bob,

The problem is not present on my wife's FP plasma set, nor was it present with the 942.

We have moved the 942 down to provide inputs to a 13 year old 53" CRT rear projection set. Now there is a problem in that I can not see the bottom line in the Guide. I am sure this is an overscan problem associated with the TV.

Last edited:
Have you tried changing the aspect ratio on the 622? I just noticed the top and bottom of screens cutoff yesterday and it was the aspect ratio setting. I must have bumped the button by accident the other day. It was in Zoom mode.

On the remote I guess they call it Format. Next to the number "0" key.

frankygamer said:
Have you tried changing the aspect ratio on the 622? ...
The Format selected has no effect on the Guide Display. In other words, "Normal" or "Zoom" will not cause the bottom of the Guide screen to be changed. ;)

I've tried all formats and all HDTV settings in the 622's menu. Nothing works to correct the graphics for the 480i and 1080i resolutions although 480p looks fine. I'm going to take the 622 to a relative's house and try it on their television. I'm now pretty sure the problem is with my TV and this test should confirm it. It must be that my television's overscan setting must vary for each resolution setting. Can anybody confirm that this is how the overscan settings work?

Bob

I have this same problem on a sony RPTV. I have no problems when the 622 output is set to 720P. on 1080I, the screen is cut off a little. I think I notice the problem only on HD channels and the guide, specially on that HD channel that shows spanish soccer all day long... the score box is always cut off.

I'm going to try to post some pictures later.

you might try recording the HDNET test patterns early tuesday morning and use that to adjust your tv.

I have the Avia DVD which shows the overscan on my set at around 5~6% (through the component DVD input) which may be a little high but not enough to mess with. When I recorded the HDNet test pattern, it showed the overscan much higher (up to 14%) (through the component DVR input) and not centered on the screen. I believe it was about 6% on the left side and higher on the 3 remaining sides. I think that since the overscan was OK with the DVD but higher from the 622, that it is a problem with the 622, and I have filed a report with Dish on this.

satinsticksguy said:
I have the Avia DVD which shows the overscan on my set at around 5~6% (through the component DVD input) ... When I recorded the HDNet test pattern, it showed the overscan much higher (up to 14%) (through the component DVR input) and not centered on the screen. ...
It would seem that you should try your DVD and your DVR connected to the same input before concluding that it is your DVR that has a problem.

Not arguing. ;)

If your TV is like mine, the different signal types are calibrated independently. I didn't find out until I got my 622 that the 1080i convergence was all out-o-whack, because nothing had ever been connected to the 1080i input before.

I did some further testing yesterday with both the HDNet test patterns and with the Digital Video Essentials DVD. My overscan is definitely out of whack and it definitely varies depending on the resolution. At 480p it's only off a little but at 480i and 1080i it's way off which explains my problems with seeing graphics on the 622 as well as a problem I see with Fox Sports and Fox Sports Net information bars at the top of the screen. Overscan in the worst at the top of the screen and appears to be around 8%-9% when it should be no more than 5% and possibly even 3%-4%.

I'm definitely going to get this addressed. Should I go for a full ISF calibration on a six-year old set or can overscan be corrected with a normal service call by someone who services my brand of set?

Bob

My understanding is that, on CRT projection TV's especially, each input and each resolution setting has its own calibration settings. If you get your set professionally calibrated, they charge extra for each additional input and each additional resolution they have to calibrate. These settings not only include overscan, but also white balance, grey scale, and the whole gammut of adjustments.

You might hunt around the net and see if you can find a service manual or how to order one (they usually cost $10 or so if you order from the manufactuer). You might be able to get to the service menu with a combination of buttons pressed on the remote and be able to adjust the overscan yourself. Paying for ISF is pretty expensive on an old set.

You might also search the AVSForum.com, they often discuss how to get into service mode for many and various displays. Look up your brand and model.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)