VIP Receiver Retirement

Is Dish slowly retiring VIP receivers?
Definitely. They are not even in production. Whats left are refurbs. Rumor has they will be coming out with 2 tuner Hoppers which would be the final blow. When they "officially" retire (not activated) is anybody's guess.

New activations were to stop on 10/1/17, but that has been delayed indefinitely. Maybe so they can fix a few more s/w bugs. Err- "features."

I expect next year will see new activations stop and a year later maybe start replacing VIPs with an equivalent Hopper when they fail, at no charge.

Reactions: pattykay and HipKat
My VIP 612 DVR failed last week and it was replaced with a refurb. Still trying to get my Dish Anywhere to work.
Larry.

PS: It's been chewing on the transfer to my PC for four hours?

I need to get my 722's out of the closet and take them to recyclers. Probably keep the 211's for a bit longer. I was going to give one to my niece for her tailgater, but I wasn't here last time she came home. Maybe at Christmas.

Reactions: kenny9966
What do we get the VIP receivers when they retire? Years of service award? Proof that you can't beat experienced receivers? That know-it-all newcomer receivers have nothing on the older ones? Award for least amount of sick days?
That's subjective. Personally, I don't like the VIP's. Just me, but I'll take 2TB Storage, 16 tuners, better info, search, EPG (when it works - Dish needs to go back to their old provider), whole home DVR, Better on demand, etc

Search is definitely not better, and that's not subjective. If the Hoppers had kept Dish Pass and paired that with the 16 tuners and extra storage, they would have had me. And I get better and faster info from a sortable alphabetical or chronological LIST as opposed to a picturebook.

Search is definitely not better, and that's not subjective. If the Hoppers had kept Dish Pass and paired that with the 16 tuners and extra storage, they would have had me. And I get better and faster info from a sortable alphabetical or chronological LIST as opposed to a picturebook.
I agree, Search is a crap shoot. Just today, it showed no future airings for a show. Later, I discovered it will air tomorrow morning. Yes, Search Sucks!

I agree, Search is a crap shoot. Just today, it showed no future airings for a show. Later, I discovered it will air tomorrow morning. Yes, Search Sucks!
That's because of the EPG provider they stupidly switched to, that still can't figure it out, but you can't search for Tom Hanks and get results for Dish TV, On Demand and Netflix on a VIP and don't even get me started on Vip and on demand

That's because of the EPG provider they stupidly switched to, that still can't figure it out, but you can't search for Tom Hanks and get results for Dish TV, On Demand and Netflix on a VIP and don't even get me started on Vip and on demand

On Demand is fine if I wanted to watch commercials. A working DVR doesn't need On Demand. The Rovi data isn't the cause of Dish search issues. Rovi data is the cause of incorrect and missing data. It's Dish's software, they are the ones that have to make the changes to accommodate the Rovi metadata with different program and seach ID's.

I don't have Netflix, I don't need On Demand Availability. I need a DVR that can reliably search and record automatically the TV programming I'm already paying for. Can you record Netflix and On Demand to watch at any time, long after the title is no longer being offered?

Reactions: TheKrell
Like I said, everyone has their OWN preference. Download a lot of movies on demand they didn't have commercials. And my DVR works perfectly fine.

Definitely. They are not even in production. Whats left are refurbs. Rumor has they will be coming out with 2 tuner Hoppers which would be the final blow. When they "officially" retire (not activated) is anybody's guess.
A 2 tuner Hopper? What's the point? I was hoping they would come out with a HWS with the faster processor that would approximate the performance of the H3 but without the 16 tuners (the CUI kind of necessitated this) . They could call it H2a model or something like that. This would give them the necessary separation for pricing and be a direct replacement for the HWS.

Reactions: HipKat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts