VIP Receiver Retirement

It is the carrot-and-the-stick approach. If Dish doesn't get you with the carrot (introducing new Hoppers (with new features) or new programming packages (that require the G4 card) to tempt you to switch) then they will get you with the stick (forcing you to replace your old equipment).
And here I thought I had the best analogy in this thread.

It is the carrot-and-the-stick approach. If Dish doesn't get you with the carrot (introducing new Hoppers (with new features) or new programming packages (that require the G4 card) to tempt you to switch) then they will get you with the stick (forcing you to replace your old equipment).

That reminds me and I should correct myself. I had to replace my 722 once, and both our MBR and our daughter's 612's once two years ago. But my daughter's replaced 612 died again last year of what I believe to be a bad power supply. We got it replaced a second time, but the network interface was non-functional. I just did a more thorough diagnosis this morning and the 612 is fine; my network cable went bad. I blame my daughter's rabbit.

Anyhow, all 3 VIP DVRs continue to work great as we speak. :D

Last edited:
Good point, but I was referring to the "more modern" Hopper equipment. So those mocking my holding on to older equipment by equating it to analog cell phones just don't get it, and are already locked inside that windowless van. At least component gives me a window I can crawl out of, and I'm not just limited to free channels.

I don’t begrudge your holding on to old equipment, and I’m certainly not mocking anyone.

I just think it unrealistic to expect Dish to replace owned old equipment that isn’t even active with new equipment.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
That reminds me and I should correct myself. I had to replace my 722 once, and both our MBR 612 once two years ago. But my daughter's replaced 612 died again last year of what I believe to be a bad power supply. We got it replaced a second time, but the network interface was non-functional. I just did a more thorough diagnosis this morning and the 612 is fine; my network cable went bad. I blame my daughter's rabbit.

Anyhow, all 3 VIP DVRs continue to work great as we speak. :D

Do you keep that rabbit out back? Send me your address again and I’ll take care of it for you.....

Do you keep that rabbit out back? Send me your address again and I’ll take care of it for you...

You already have my address! (Thanks for the network adapters.) But our rabbit is an indoor rabbit. My wife would be very happy if you would steal him and eat him. But alas, my daughter would be heartbroken.

I don’t begrudge your holding on to old equipment, and I’m certainly not mocking anyone.

I just think it unrealistic to expect Dish to replace owned old equipment that isn’t even active with new equipment.
I didn't quite get the context of your comment. My apologies. It seemed out of place. Who is expecting to have Dish replace inactive owned equipment?

You already have my address! (Thanks for the network adapters.) But our rabbit is an indoor rabbit. My wife would be very happy if you would steal him and eat him. But alas, my daughter would be heartbroken.

Get her a kitten. And don’t tell her what she had for supper last night.

My wife and daughter have a indoor rabbit. When they let it out for so called bunny time so it can hop around my yellow lab Play’s with it but my little Dachshund wants to eat it . I have one question why do rabbits eat speaker wires and phone and hdmi cables but won’t bite the 110 or 220 wires I have laying around.

Reactions: charlesrshell
My wife and daughter have a indoor rabbit. When they let it out for so called bunny time so it can hop around my yellow lab Play’s with it but my little Dachshund wants to eat it . I have one question why do rabbits eat speaker wires and phone and hdmi cables but won’t bite the 110 or 220 wires I have laying around.

Smarter than you think and passive aggressive.

I forgot all about those phones . I am calling cellular one now. Maybe I can get a new Microsoft phone or a Black Berry with a flip out keyboard. I also found my old zune . And Walkman with cassette.
Friend recently got someone to get him a blackberry out of some warehouse after raving about the great keyboards for the last 2 years.

He lasted about a week before he came to his senses and got a new Android smartphone.
Says he does not want to talk about it anymore.

Reactions: HipKat
Just a stupid question here (possibly)...is my 722k gonna go dead later this month...
Only if you believe the conspiracy theorists. ;)
...or does it have a couple more years before I will be forced to upgrade?
You should be fine. Actually, it was just posted in another thread that the Hopper Duo will not even be available to existing subscribers right away. For now, it is only for new subscribers.

I tried not to correct you guys, but it's driving me crazy. It's a composite output!
Composite is video on the yellow RCA cable and r/l audio on the Red and white RCA outputs.
Component has the same red/white RCA audio but video is on three cables red/green/blue (analog HD output).

You should be fine. Actually, it was just posted in another thread that the Hopper Duo will not even be available to existing subscribers right away. For now, it is only for new subscribers.

Ok, good deal... Not that I'm opposed to new tech, just that I'm content with my 722k (and the 622 before that which I had for almost 5 years before it started getting "twitchy")...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts