VIP Receiver Retirement

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
They are the idiots who started the problem to begin with by offering this crazy type setup to begin with.

I agree they where nice when they first came out because you could save the $5 additional Tv fee. But after they raised the receiver fees, to make up for the secondary television they should have been discontinued back then.

I personally never liked duo receivers like the 322/222/722

#1 it was confusing as hell for customers to try to explain how this worked over the phone.

#2 many customers thought they where getting 2 DVR’s in the case of a 722. Can’t tell you how many issues this created as customers would then demand we bring them another DVR. Then when we did install a 612 for example it was a fight over the additional monthly fees.

#3 what a nightmare to install. In the early days we had to run 2 wires to the Tv, with a 3rd possibly to feed tv2. Then you had the phone line that needed to be hooked up to avoid the Tv2 fee.

Things got better with dishpro plus technology, but still crappy trying to run Tv2 on analog SD.

Too bad there was copyright issues with HD in the clear. Would have been awesome for an HD modulator like what they had with the model 5000

Yeah they were a real nightmare to install at first, especially since they required a phone connection and second line of coax. I think the big driver behind these receivers was to prevent stacking. The benefit on the DVR units was the ability to watch shows in more than 1 room.

I'd love to know how many ViP receivers are out there. I love mine, it's simple, stable and does everything I need.
NO, you will be assimilated to the Wally and Hopper class of receivers. Resistance is futile. Hey seriously, a Wally with a dual tuner ota dongle and your own hard drive can completely replace your Vip receiver . I have been testing my Wally and it works just as good as my hopper and I can record 2 sat channels and 2 ota channels at the same time. This is just like the ViP 722k and there is NO DVR FEE -as long as you unass the one time $40.00 fee for the software to be enabled. The only thing you would lose is the tv 2 connection and you can't use Dish anywhere apps with it.

NO, you will be assimilated to the Wally and Hopper class of receivers. Resistance is futile. Hey seriously, a Wally with a dual tuner ota dongle and your own hard drive can completely replace your Vip receiver . I have been testing my Wally and it works just as good as my hopper and I can record 2 sat channels and 2 ota channels at the same time. This is just like the ViP 722k and there is NO DVR FEE -as long as you unass the one time $40.00 fee for the software to be enabled. The only thing you would lose is the tv 2 connection and you can't use Dish anywhere apps with it.
And you would lose the component connection. And list view, and...

I own a 622 and a 922 . After January I won’t be able to reactive them if they are deactivated? If so Dish better hop me over a few new receivers.

Reactions: pattykay
I own a 622 and a 922 . After January I won’t be able to reactive them if they are deactivated? If so Dish better hop me over a few new receivers.

How’s that analog cell phone working for you that you had in a drawer, inactivated?

If you want a chance at a replacement, perhaps you should keep them active.

I doubt Dish sees any requirement to replace obsolete inactive receivers. If they did, I’m sure there’d be a lot of us keeping 301s and other old STBs on hand, hoping to score new equipment.

How’s that analog cell phone working for you that you had in a drawer, inactivated?

If you want a chance at a replacement, perhaps you should keep them active.

I doubt Dish sees any requirement to replace obsolete inactive receivers. If they did, I’m sure there’d be a lot of us keeping 301s and other old STBs on hand, hoping to score new equipment.

I forgot all about those phones . I am calling cellular one now. Maybe I can get a new Microsoft phone or a Black Berry with a flip out keyboard. I also found my old zune . And Walkman with cassette.

I use component output to feed a CRT projector and a direct view 34 inch CRT HDTV.

Also use it to feed my Hauppauge HD PVR.

I have bought 2 more HDMI to component converters similar to my HD Fury that feeds the Sony D50.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I use component output to feed a CRT projector and a direct view 34 inch CRT HDTV.

Also use it to feed my Hauppauge HD PVR.

I have bought 2 more HDMI to component converters similar to my HD Fury that feeds the Sony D50.
That sounds like it would work for Dare2be and his complaint the Wally had no component output. Thanks .

That sounds like it would work for Dare2be and his complaint the Wally had no component output. Thanks .
Nope. Those HDMI to component adapters usually produce sub-par picture, plus many times the HDCP blocks recording. Plus with only one HDMI output, I'd have to have the recorder and the adapter powered on all the time to pass through the video to the TV. HDMI to TV and a separate component signal to the recorder solves all those issues.

FYI, I'm not talking composite SD recording (like the mentioned DVD recorder), I'm talking component HD recording.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)