VIP Receiver Retirement

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Nope. Those HDMI to component adapters usually produce sub-par picture, plus many times the HDCP blocks recording. Plus with only one HDMI output, I'd have to have the recorder and the adapter powered on all the time to pass through the video to the TV. HDMI to TV and a separate component signal to the recorder solves all those issues.

FYI, I'm not talking composite SD recording (like the mentioned DVD recorder), I'm talking component HD recording.
Well I tried. Enjoy your VIP receiver till they pry it from your cold,dead hands.:D

That was the main goal of the digital transition and the advent of high definition. To put stronger controls on copy protection and erode away fair use laws and the capability of recording such content. Recorded content is now mostly locked to having an existing subscription to a pay-TV service (your DVR, streaming service).

HD was the eye candy used to lure customers to the windowless van of fair use recording.

Yes, I will hold on to my ViP equipment with my cold, dead hands to avoid that van.

My deactivated 512 still records Perry Mason episodes from FETV just fine without any need for a pay-tv subscription. :p
Exactly my point. Would you be able to do that now with deactivated more modern equipment? Or even play previously recorded DVR content?

Reactions: TheKrell
Exactly my point. Would you be able to do that now with deactivated more modern equipment? Or even play previously recorded DVR content?
With a ViP? Yes, as long as it still has the purple G3 Smart Card, and has been kept connected to a satellite signal the entire time. It is the white G4 Smart Card that takes away the ability to watch and record free channels on deactivated equipment, and Flex Pack is the eye candy being used to lure customers to white G4 Smart Cards.

Good point, but I was referring to the "more modern" Hopper equipment. So those mocking my holding on to older equipment by equating it to analog cell phones just don't get it, and are already locked inside that windowless van. At least component gives me a window I can crawl out of, and I'm not just limited to free channels.

Good point, but I was referring to the "more modern" Hopper equipment. So those mocking my holding on to older equipment by equating it to analog cell phones just don't get it, and are already locked inside that windowless van. At least component gives me a window I can crawl out of, and I'm not just limited to free channels.
As far as I know, every Hopper came with a white G4 Smart Card, which is why I did not mention them.

Reactions: dare2be
I don't have a white G4 Smart Card in my Hopper 3s. No cards at all.
Your Smart Cards are built in, so to speak. There is a slot for new ones, should the need ever arise, on the left side of the receiver. My original 722 was the same way. Dish sent me a new card and I slipped it into the empty slot.

Also the 211 has component output.

I'll bet the 411 does likewise since it was basically a 211 w/o a network interface.
Flex Pack is the eye candy being used to lure customers to white G4 Smart Cards.

Interesting. I had my 722 and both 612's fail one way or another and Dish replaced them. I am now on the white smart cards on all 3 receivers independently of the existence of Flex Pack. :(

Interesting. I had my 722 and both 612's fail one way or another and Dish replaced them. I am now on the white smart cards on all 3 receivers independently of the existence of Flex Pack. :(
It is the carrot-and-the-stick approach. If Dish doesn't get you with the carrot (introducing new Hoppers (with new features) or new programming packages (that require the G4 card) to tempt you to switch) then they will get you with the stick (forcing you to replace your old equipment).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)