VIP211K With OTA & DVR

Anony55

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
USA
I'm currently subbing to Dish & using a really really old receiver (can you say 2700, lol). I don't have a commitment, and I own the receiver & dish... and want to keep it that way, lol. I've had service for a month or two now. I previously had Dish a decade ago, hence the old equipment.

I'm considering upgrading to a 211k (around $100 on the flea) & paying the 39.99 DVR activation. I have a few questions before I do. 1) I've read conflicting reports about HDD size, is the largest drive possible 750GB or 1TB? 2) If I stop subbing to Dish in the future, would the OTA & DVR features still work stand alone? 3) If I pay $99 for "Free HD for Life", then stop subbing... then start subbing again, would I have to pay the $99 again?

Question #2 is the biggie right now. If OTA & DVR continue without a sub, that makes the decision pretty much risk free. Question #3... I probably already know the answer, but just wanted to confirm.

I would probably upgrade in two phases. First, I'd swap out the receiver & pay the 39.99 DVR fee. Then later, if it looked like I was gonna stick with Dish a little longer term, I'd pay the $99 HD for life fee & upgrade from a D500 to a 1000.2 or 1000.4. As you can tell, I'm a tight-wad that likes to do his own thing, lol. Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Edit: I almost forgot to ask... The 211k will work with my existing legacy LNBs & sw21, right??

I'm currently subbing to Dish & using a really really old receiver (can you say 2700, lol). I don't have a commitment, and I own the receiver & dish... and want to keep it that way, lol. I've had service for a month or two now. I previously had Dish a decade ago, hence the old equipment.

I'm considering upgrading to a 211k (around $100 on the flea) & paying the 39.99 DVR activation. I have a few questions before I do. 1) I've read conflicting reports about HDD size, is the largest drive possible 750GB or 1TB? 2) If I stop subbing to Dish in the future, would the OTA & DVR features still work stand alone? 3) If I pay $99 for "Free HD for Life", then stop subbing... then start subbing again, would I have to pay the $99 again?

Question #2 is the biggie right now. If OTA & DVR continue without a sub, that makes the decision pretty much risk free. Question #3... I probably already know the answer, but just wanted to confirm.

I would probably upgrade in two phases. First, I'd swap out the receiver & pay the 39.99 DVR fee. Then later, if it looked like I was gonna stick with Dish a little longer term, I'd pay the $99 HD for life fee & upgrade from a D500 to a 1000.2 or 1000.4. As you can tell, I'm a tight-wad that likes to do his own thing, lol. Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Edit: I almost forgot to ask... The 211k will work with my existing legacy LNBs & sw21, right??
I've read that EHD as large as 1.5TB are now working. I use a 1TB MyBook Essential and it works great. You will not be able to view stored programs on the EHD if you are not subscribed. Talk to Claude at Dishstore for a deal on a 211. He treats members of SatGuys right. I'm pretty sure that HD Free for Life is only for as long as you are subscribed. Drop E* and you've lost your HD Free. You will need to pick up 129 (WA) or 61.5 & 72.5 (EA) to get all the HD.

Thanks for the answers concerning the HDD & sub services. Do you know if the OTA tuner would work (with no dvr) without a sub? The question is almost silly since I might not ever stop subbing in the first place. But it would be cool to know it would still have some functionality if I did.

Would this unit work with my existing legacy LNBs & sw21? I wouldn't install a 1000.x right now if I don't have to. That would have to come later. The wife absorbs these things better in small bites. LOL.

Cheers

Thanks for the answers concerning the HDD & sub services. Do you know if the OTA tuner would work (with no dvr) without a sub? The question is almost silly since I might not ever stop subbing in the first place. But it would be cool to know it would still have some functionality if I did.

Would this unit work with my existing legacy LNBs & sw21? I wouldn't install a 1000.x right now if I don't have to. That would have to come later. The wife absorbs these things better in small bites. LOL.

Cheers
The OTA tuner would not work if unsubscribed. Everything should work with your existing setup. You really should look for a DP Twin on E-bay. Very easy swap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts