VIP612

Crawfish337

Original poster
May 12, 2023
Youngsville LA
Bought a lake house and want to install my 612 in it. Had my TV, receiver, and satellite dish on the porch during setup so I could audibly listen for when I’d acquire a signal on the “point dish” menu. Locked in on Sat 119 and actually watched a few minutes of TV. Unplugged receiver and TV to move it indoors and reconnected just as it had been during setup. Receiver power light is on and I CANNOT turn receiver off with the remote nor the manual power button on the receiver itself. None of the buttons on the receiver work…power, reset, menu….nothing. I’ve unplugged and plugged it back in numerous times. Green power light is on, no buttons work. Help!
Thanks in advance!!

All I can say is “Good Luck” Boudreaux! That box is an antique. But I’m sure someone more knowledgeable than I will come along shortly.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Missing the most important information. What is on the screen, blank?
It will take quite sometime to even show anything when it first starts and has to acquire the satellite signals. It will take even longer if it is looking for more than one satellite and only finds one. During this time you can not turn off the receiver. (make the green light go off)
But eventually you should see the bar of it acquiring the signal.

By unplugging it and plugging back in so many times while it is trying to acquire the signal, that too could make it take even longer.

Missing the most important information. What is on the screen, blank?
It will take quite sometime to even show anything when it first starts and has to acquire the satellite signals. It will take even longer if it is looking for more than one satellite and only finds one. During this time you can not turn off the receiver. (make the green light go off)
But eventually you should see the bar of it acquiring the signal.

By unplugging it and plugging back in so many times while it is trying to acquire the signal, that too could make it take even longer.
Screen on TV says No Signal and Select Input, which I’ve done repeatedly. It seems the receiver isn’t communicating with the TV, so I have no way of knowing what the receiver is attempting to do.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Screen on TV says No Signal and Select Input, which I’ve done repeatedly. It seems the receiver isn’t communicating with the TV, so I have no way of knowing what the receiver is attempting to do.

It will say that while the receiver starts the process, it takes a little time for it to send a signal to the TV and for the screen to go black for awhile, till the progress bar shows. That all can take quite sometime given everything. You should be able to hear the hard drive make some noise.

Sounds to me you may not be patient enough, or you are connecting it incorrectly. It is possible plugging and unplugging did something or it did die but don't think so.

Reactions: TheKrell
It will say that while the receiver starts the process, it takes a little time for it to send a signal to the TV and for the screen to go black for awhile, till the progress bar shows. That all can take quite sometime given everything. You should be able to hear the hard drive make some noise.

Sounds to me you may not be patient enough, or you are connecting it incorrectly. It is possible plugging and unplugging did something or it did die but don't think so.
I know when it does a normal start up, the power light will go on and off a couple of times, and then you can hear the drive speeding up a bit…none of that has happened. The green power light is on and that’s the only indication that it’s even plugged in. So frustrating…but I sincerely appreciate the effort by you guys.

I know when it does a normal start up, the power light will go on and off a couple of times, and then you can hear the drive speeding up a bit…none of that has happened. The green power light is on and that’s the only indication that it’s even plugged in. So frustrating…but I sincerely appreciate the effort by you guys.

If you can't hear what you normally know to listen for that does sound like maybe the hard drive failed or something on the motherboard.
If you have not tried, push and hold the on button on the receiver for several seconds. Hope you find a way to get it working!

Are you using HDMI? Maybe try using the RCA cables to see if you get anything. Also, is this a permanent dish, or a portable one? If you still get nothing Maybe try a different input on the TV?
Yes, I am using HDMI. I will try RCA cables in the am. It is a permanently mounted dish…I was actually watching TV with this system for 15 minutes and then moved it inside to its permanent location. But all I did was unplug and re-plug the TV and receiver. Then the trouble started.
And yes, I’ve tried all 3 input ports on the TV. Thanks!

Yes, I am using HDMI. I will try RCA cables in the am. It is a permanently mounted dish…I was actually watching TV with this system for 15 minutes and then moved it inside to its permanent location. But all I did was unplug and re-plug the TV and receiver. Then the trouble started.
And yes, I’ve tried all 3 input ports on the TV. Thanks!
Are you using a different coax from your original test to the inside installation.

Disconnect the satellite and plug it in, let it sit for 30 min - hour. You should have full menu access. If it reboots over and over, you probably have bad capacitors. Open the cover and look for bulging caps.

bulged_capacitor.jpg