VIP622 vs VIP722 - a scam!

eucarya

Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
I have had a VIP622 for 12 months. About 10 months ago the HDMI output stopped working on the VIP622.
I contacted DISH Network and explained to the my problem, and they responded to me that it was a "software issue" and that they were "working on it" Over these past 10 months I have contacted DISH Network on a monthly basis to check the status of them "working on it" and every time I get the same response, that it is a known issue and that they are working on it.
I initially bought the VIP622 because of it's HDMI output capabilities, in fact, I chose DISH Network over DirectTV because of the HDMI capabilities of the VIP622.
Now here is what seems odd to me.
DISH Network just released the VIP722, which from all I can tell, and from what all my research points to is that the VIP722 is EXACTLY THE SAME as the VIP622 except for 3 areas.
1. It is black, not silver
2. It has a larger hard drive
3. The HDMI output works
It seems to me like DISH Network is trying to scam all the people who have VIP622s and have problems with them into purchasing a VIP722 and extending their contracts another 18 months.
What a ripoff!
I called them today to try and get them to replace my defective faulty, HDMI-less VIP622 with a functional VIP722 and they outright refused.
I asked them how they could sell me service and equipment that doesn't work and not fix it, and the representative I spoke with (Angela - RFH) repeated the same phrase to me repeatedly.
"We cannot give you the VIP722 for free, you have to pay $199 for it, and you have to extend your contract by 18 months".
I was on the phone for over an hour (20 minutes on hold initially to speak with some one) and I tried to explain to them every way possible that it was their duty to provide me with a functional piece of hardware, which is what I paid for! $250 for a VIP622 with HDMI capabilities.
Without HDMI, the receiver is useless to me.

Long story short, don't waste your time or money with DISH Network or the VIP722. They don't care about their customers and they sell non-functional equipment that they refuse to fix (unless you pay $199 and extend your contract by 18 months)
RIP OFF!

When you talk to the CSRs, focus on the problem, not the solution. Tell them you've been waiting for your HDMI output to be fixed for 10 months. Tell them you want a replacement unit if they can't make this one work. Maybe they'll give you a replacement 622, or maybe if you're very lucky, it'll be a 722. But you have no right to demand a 722. You do have a right to have your HDMI work.

If you don't get satisfaction with fixing your problem, escalate. Writing ceo@dishnetwork.com has worked for others.

But don't just demand something that costs money for free. Ask them to solve your problem.

I have made over 20 phone calls to DISH trying to focus on solutions, however, they only provide me with one. "We're aware of the HDMI output issue, our developers are working on it". They've told me that for 10 months.
I didn't demand a 722, I merely suggested it as a resolution to my problem.
They didn't care, they said they would sell me one and extend my contract.
It seems futile.
I have 5 months left on my contract and I'm ready to break it and leave for DirectTV or back to my local cable provider Cox. I'll try writing them to see if I can get anywhere with them.

Thanks!
Tony

They don't owe you a ViP722. It's not the same equipment. Larger hard drive, updated chip as well.

You should be able to get a ViP622 with a working HDMI. Many have. With a polite attitude, you might too. If they send you a series E model, it seems to have the same "reinforced" HDMI connector that the ViP722 does.

Be as civil as possible in that email to ceo, and don't ask for more than you're due.

I have made over 20 phone calls to DISH trying to focus on solutions, however, they only provide me with one. "We're aware of the HDMI output issue, our developers are working on it". They've told me that for 10 months.
I didn't demand a 722, I merely suggested it as a resolution to my problem.
They didn't care, they said they would sell me one and extend my contract.
It seems futile.
I have 5 months left on my contract and I'm ready to break it and leave for DirectTV or back to my local cable provider Cox. I'll try writing them to see if I can get anywhere with them.

Thanks!
Tony

Would an e-mail to CEO@echostar.com be warrented in his case?

Cheers,
Spence

Matthew 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
9 Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?
10 Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?
11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

Matthew 7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
9 Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?
10 Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?
11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?

...or in other words, Kill 'em with Kindness.

The scam is YOU! You want upgraded equipment. The 622 works just fine with a HDMI cable. BTW, I've had mine hooked up for some time and you aren't missing anything. You have a 622, and you will get a refurbished 622 in-return for your broken 622.

If you want a 722, either upgrade or pay for it! That is plain and simple. Not a scam when you want an upgraded replacement for free! If you did the research, you will find posts from me speaking about replacements and whatnot! You won't even get a "NEW" replacement, its refurbished. CLUE: It could have more problems than just a HDMI cable issue.

I called them today to try and get them to replace my defective faulty, HDMI-less VIP622 with a functional VIP722 and they outright refused.
This is why you got told no, your wanting an upgraded model of the receiver and frankly you dont deserve it. You sat on your 622 for 12 months and 10 months of that the hdmi didnt work, alot of people here that have had the problem you have called and had a replacement 622 within a weeks time.

this is a total scam and has nothing to do with Dish or Echostar.
Really then who does it have something to do with? When you call to see about getting it replaced are you calling Bob's tv repair? Honestly its not a scam on their end, you buy a car and find that it has a problem you get it fixed, if its a lemon you get it replaced with a same year and model from the dealer not a newer model with more options and power. The only scam is you saying you had this problem for 10 months and now your trying to get a new model receiver for free, its scams like this that cost everyone else to pay more in the long run.

I have had a VIP622 for 12 months. About 10 months ago the HDMI output stopped working on the VIP622.
I contacted DISH Network and explained to the my problem, and they responded to me that it was a "software issue" and that they were "working on it" Over these past 10 months I have contacted DISH Network on a monthly basis to check the status of them "working on it" and every time I get the same response, that it is a known issue and that they are working on it.
I initially bought the VIP622 because of it's HDMI output capabilities, in fact, I chose DISH Network over DirectTV because of the HDMI capabilities of the VIP622.
Now here is what seems odd to me.
DISH Network just released the VIP722, which from all I can tell, and from what all my research points to is that the VIP722 is EXACTLY THE SAME as the VIP622 except for 3 areas.
1. It is black, not silver
2. It has a larger hard drive
3. The HDMI output works
It seems to me like DISH Network is trying to scam all the people who have VIP622s and have problems with them into purchasing a VIP722 and extending their contracts another 18 months.
What a ripoff!
I asked them how they could sell me service and equipment that doesn't work and not fix it, and the representative I spoke with (Angela - RFH) repeated the same phrase to me repeatedly.
"We cannot give you the VIP722 for free, you have to pay $199 for it, and you have to extend your contract by 18 months".
I was on the phone for over an hour (20 minutes on hold initially to speak with some one) and I tried to explain to them every way possible that it was their duty to provide me with a functional piece of hardware, which is what I paid for! $250 for a VIP622 with HDMI capabilities.
Without HDMI, the receiver is useless to me.

Long story short, don't waste your time or money with DISH Network or the VIP722. They don't care about their customers and they sell non-functional equipment that they refuse to fix (unless you pay $199 and extend your contract by 18 months)
RIP OFF!

So, your complaint is that the 722 is just like the 622 but you are demanding a 722 as replacement for your non-working 622?

Van, I think the scam he was referring to was the 800 # not being what the poster claimed. It's a voice mail saying "thank you for responding to my internet message...."

a resolution....sort of

i called them back, waited on hold 20 min. spoke with a TSR, got transfered to the wrong place waited on hold 20 minutes again. spoke with a TSR and got disconnected.
i called back, waited on hold for 20 min, spoke with a TSR, got transfered to a CSR who said i was in the wrong department and then transfered back into the TSR queue where i waited another 20 minutes.
Totally ridiculous. But it's like that every time I call.
In any case, I ended up with some new hire who I convinced to give me the VIP722 for free by selling it to me for $199, but then giving me the $100 rebate and $10 off my bill for 10 months.
I'm only out being in a contract for another 18 months, but in reality it's only another 12 because i still had 6 months left on my first one.
Then when the TSR went to run my CC she said it was only $119?
I'm totally confused, I repeatedly asked her that it was One Hundred and Nineteen dollars 1-1-9 and she said yes, because of the rebate.

So I guess I'll see what the charges are on my CC in the next few days, but the 722 should be in in 3-4 days and hopefully my HDMI issues will be a thing of the past and hopefully my service never goes out so I NEVER have to call DISH again.

Eucarya if I were you I would make sure the new contract is the length you want/think it is, I think it might be 18 months from today or whenever you get the equipment.

i called them back, waited on hold 20 min. spoke with a TSR, got transfered to the wrong place waited on hold 20 minutes again. spoke with a TSR and got disconnected.
i called back, waited on hold for 20 min, spoke with a TSR, got transfered to a CSR who said i was in the wrong department and then transfered back into the TSR queue where i waited another 20 minutes.
In any case, I ended up with some new hire who I convinced to give me the VIP722 for free by selling it to me for $199, but then giving me the $100 rebate and $10 off my bill for 10 months.
I'm only out being in a contract for another 18 months, but in reality it's only another 12 because i still had 6 months left on my first one.
I'm totally confused, I repeatedly asked her that it was One Hundred and Nineteen dollars 1-1-9 and she said yes, because of the rebate.

So I guess I'll see what the charges are on my CC in the next few days, but the 722 should be in in 3-4 days and hopefully my HDMI issues will be a thing of the past and hopefully my service never goes out so I NEVER have to call DISH again.

And hopefully, you won't be posting anymore.

I went down the same road months ago when I tried to get a 622 with a working HDMI port. It didn't work on my exisiting 622, so I called, they said they would try sending me a new one, but it may not work either. I tried it, they sent me a new one (refurbished actually), I plugged in the HDMI cable, it worked very briefly for a few minutes, I tried to elevate my 622 to get it a little higher on some feet to help ventelation, and that's all it took to break the HDMI port on the replacement 622. They surface mounted the connector which is absurd. The "we're working on a software solution" is pure BS, it is a stupid design flaw. I called Dish and was told that they couldn't do anything else, that they can only swap out the 622 due to the design flawed HDMI connection once, and after that I'm SOL (in so many words). It really is their responsibility to provide some receiver, either a 622 or a 722 with a working HDMI connector that doesn't break the second you touch it, and they shouldn't force you to extend your contact to fix their mistake, either.

They probably did that to shut you UP. I can just imagine your call.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts