ViP722, meet Mr. Shotgun

My three year-old 622 has been nearly trouble-free...
It's not the 622 itself that's "trouble-free", it's the HDD. The drive manufacturers are producing millions of drives and the vast majority are no doubt trouble-free and reliable. People are going to get bad ones. Some get them in DVRs, others in their PCs.

If Dish knows overheating is a big problem, why not add a case fan?
One certain reason is reliability of the fan(s). There's also a noise factor to be concerned about.

One real oddity is this: The 612 receiver, which lacks a HDD, has a vented top. The 622/722/722k, which have HDDs, have a solid cover. With the tools, i.e. software, available today though, I'm sure that Echostar has done heating/cooling analysis of the chassis.

No problem

Been there, done that. It's very frustrating. I was told that once it reaches that stage, it's near impossible to transfer anything. Was your 722 new or refurbed? I've had absolutely no luck with the refurbs. If Dish knows overheating is a big problem, why not add a case fan? Just seems too simple.

I've never had a problem w/ a refurb but have had 2 new ones have to be replaced w/ refurbs. I had one of the version C units that E* contacted me to replace w/ a refurb that was newer version. It worked great until (except for the HDMI that broke in the case) I exchanged it for a new 722k which was bad out of the box. I had it replaced w/ a refurb that has worked fine.

I wonder if they'll try to replace my ViP722 with a ViP722K without the OTA module?

Any advantage other than 2 OTA tuners if you get the module? I don't think they should charge me for the module, since the equipment I have already is OTA capable. But I'd meet them halfway and pay half.

Wasn't there some talk of the "K" OTA tuners being less sensitive than the one built in to the ViP722? I haven't kept up with that, as I had no intention of moving to the "K."

I went from the 722 to the k, only big difference (and the major reason to have one) is 4 tuners at once for recording/watching (2 sat/2 OTA). The sensitivity issue has been fixed, and my before and after numbers of the 722k matched the 722 after my swap. Also very close to my Panasonic tuner.

The module is around $30, and well worth it IMHO.

Old info

Any advantage other than 2 OTA tuners if you get the module? I don't think they should charge me for the module, since the equipment I have already is OTA capable. But I'd meet them halfway and pay half.

Wasn't there some talk of the "K" OTA tuners being less sensitive than the one built in to the ViP722? I haven't kept up with that, as I had no intention of moving to the "K."

That was before the F/W update that came down recently. They are just about as sensitive now. The thing is you still need to get the unit running w/o The mod then shut unit down. Insert the mod and restart it. Then scan for the locals. I don't think that changed w/the need update.

This is very true.

Fire it up and get it running, then unplug it and install the module, then fire it all up and then scan. If you plug it in on the first boot, and then scan, good chance is it wont work.

If you plug it in on the first boot, and then scan, good chance is it wont work.
Did it that way here and had zero problems. Honestly, I don't understand the implication that there's different software involved... The boxes run Linux so the "driver" is already there in the normal version of the software. If it's detected during boot-up, the module (driver) for it is loaded.

Well, plenty have had the problem, and I ignored that fact and tried it "my" way. Then I had to pull the darn thing out and do it the way people had said to do it.

Just trying to save him grief.

Just had a 222k and 722k installed. I told the installer I preferred to download the software before installing the ota module because of the issues people have mentioned. He said he didn't know of any issues but would be fine with doing it that way. So we installed the software, aactivated the receivers and than unplugged and installed the ota modules. Was that the software download that is being mentioned?
The module is pulling in 34 channels, but our local FOX (grand Rapids, MI) is bery finicky. Yet we can pull in Flint Fox which is 120 miles away.
Sometimes tonight the OTA fox would work and the SAT would drop and vise versa.
Should I uninstall and retry? If so, how do you uninstall the software? The reset button?
And how do you figure out what software you have?

One real oddity is this: The 612 receiver, which lacks a HDD, has a vented top. The 622/722/722k, which have HDDs, have a solid cover.
All these models have an internal drive and solid cover. Are you thinking of the 222?

Last night, after many soft reboots, card pulls and unplugging, I was able to transfer two more to the EHD, doing one at a time. More than one at a time invariably failed. Transfers were done in near real time. Then it stopped playing "nice" :rolleyes: and I went to bed. This morning, before work, after many attempts, I finally got one started transferring. Then I went to work. Hopefully, a nice surprise when I get home.

It takes more effort and time with each attempt, to finally get anything transferring. And then the transfer often fails. Since the process is slowing and failing more often, I doubt I'll be able to get everything off the DVR. But I'm not giving up yet.

If I can't get any more off the DVR, I think I'll try putting it in the freezer for an hour or 2. Nothing to lose, I suppose. I prefer not to call Dish until I've gotten every thing I can off it.

Tip it up vertically instead of horizontally, its helped me save a whole disk worth in the past before it died totally...

Navy, I just ordered a WD My Book Mirror (2tb RAID) for $229 off Amazon. I like the idea of a 1tb mirror for my programming, and have listed my two drives in the classifieds.

Yes, I saw that in the other thread, but had already ordered the RAID array box I mentioned. So it's now down to picking industrial strength price be damned drives to go in it- the larger the better.

Maybe for the second ViP722 I might go with your suggestion. I have a hub that I can plug them all in to, just switching on the one I want to deal with. No unplugging necessary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts