ViP722, meet Mr. Shotgun

A MOMENT OF SILENCE, PLEASE

For my late, great, ViP722, installed 6/2/08. It has finally bit the dust. No combination of buttons, card pulls or resets would revive it's DVR functions. Nor did putting it on it's side work. It is now vacationing in the arctic, for possible long shot revival on the morrow.

I called Dish technical, and spoke with someone who listened to me and quickly agreed it was a goner. I believe I lost 18 programs, 14 important to me and my wife, and 2 important to her. 2 of no matter. The 14 were OTA episodes of ER, not to be seen again anytime soon. Replacement on the way, without any attempts at more card pulls, etc, as he took my word for it that I had done it all. And the error messages I read off the screen.

BTW: Hi temp: 116 Low: 86 Avg: 95 - with a laptop cooler under it.

"finally" - REALLY should have lasted more than a year. I'll now adopt the overkill approach of saving almost everything to an external HDD RAID array. Tired of losing stuff. Yes, it's only TV. :rolleyes:

Replacement should be here on or before the 16th.

Oh yes- for my trouble, he gave me $10 off per month for 5 months. I'm about as happy a camper as could be, under the circumstances.

Im with you Navy, and I've always stored all on my EHD. After seeing your deal, and realizing the EHD could fail with all my shows, you moved me to the RAID too. Is the next step for us to worry about both drives failing, and we'll have to buy a RAID to back up our RAID :haha

Im watching Steelers and Titans, will dedicate a beer to your 722.

Many people say we take tv too seriously, but tv shows, movies and sports are 3 things my wife and I enjoy, so I think its a worthwhile investment.

Im with you Navy, and I've always stored all on my EHD. After seeing your deal, and realizing the EHD could fail with all my shows, you moved me to the RAID too. Is the next step for us to worry about both drives failing, and we'll have to buy a RAID to back up our RAID :haha

Many people say we take tv too seriously, but tv shows, movies and sports are 3 things my wife and I enjoy, so I think its a worthwhile investment.

Hope you enjoy your new one as much as I will with your old one. Thanks again. :up

Hehe, no problem.

Its a beautiful thing to plug it in, then access it and see you have 930 gb's available for programming :eek:

At your average sat program hour, thats over 300 hours :D

Yep. Entertainment, especially when shared.

I am having whiskey, Fighting Cock 103 with Sprite. @party

Sorry to hear about your RiP 722, navychop. Taking a shotgun to your receiver invalidates the RoHS certification, BTW... ;)

Yeah, I'm like most people here and move the important stuff off to the External drives. I have a LaCie 1TB enclosure that has a small fan in the case. I'm on my second 622, but it wasn't a HDD problem, it was the HDMI connector.

Speaking of fans, I was poking around on the Monoprice.com website and found cooling fans that use a contact-free magnetic bearing. I went ahead and ordered the 120mm and 80mm versions to see how much air they move and how quiet they were. I want to use them to suck heat out of my Entertainment Center in order to keep the temps down.

Nor did putting it on it's side work. It is now vacationing in the arctic, for possible long shot revival on the morrow.
During your long shot attempt at a final transfer - be sure to tip it on it's end, then plug it back into the wall for boot-up. It's not going to hurt it, and has been know to help on disks that are on their way out. I'm guessing you are leaving the whole unit intact instead of removing the HD (but that doesn't matter either). I doubt it matters which side is down (as long as neither the bottom nor the top are down) either the sides or the front or the back.

It could be too late, but it might let you get one more of those ER epsiodes transferred.

OK, took out the popsicle, hooked it up and turned it on it's side. Turned on everything.

"The satellite receiver is too cold to initiate operations. Operation below 40 degrees may cause damage to the internal hard disk drive. Operation will not commence until 40 degrees. Current temp is 31." Or some such.

Temps went up to 41 for a while before it started. And might I say it's never made so much racket before. When it started, dead quiet.

Now downloading guide. Done.

Turned on (room temp) EHD. Noticed ViP722 seems to have turned self off, but fan is on.

Let me fiddle and get back to you.

No response to remote power on command.

No response to onboard power switch.

No response to soft reset (onboard power sw held for 10 seconds).

No response to removal of card.

No response to removal of card and soft reset while card out.

While typing this, screen flickered, back to black, before I could get to unplug.

WHOA! Fan cut out, now acquiring satellite signal/guide data.

Well, actually- it went thru "acquiring" way too fast, now doing guide rather slowly. Hmmm.

But I now have a picture.

Press DVR once, get to "My Recordings" menu. Press second time, no reaction. Now, as before, unit has frozen.

Time to start the game again- wait, started up again, and I'm at the DVR listing. Patience, grasshopper.

Thought I'd pass this on. I received my replacement 722 today, not the 722k. Good luck.

Decided to experiment. Deleted an unwanted program. Did so- but very slowly. Will now try to move a single program to EHD. Want to move 14. Or 16, depending upon who you ask. ;)

But first deleted one other program. V E R Y slow to delete.

Looks like it's locked up again, but I'll wait a while to see. Probably shouldn't have tried deletions- just using up what little life is left.

Yeah, rep said he was pretty sure I'd get a 722, not a K, but couldn't say if it would be new or refurb. Are they even still making ViP722 units or is the K intended to be the replacement? And I've forgotten if they label them as refurbs.

Decided to experiment. Deleted an unwanted program. Did so- but very slowly. Will now try to move a single program to EHD. Want to move 14. Or 16, depending upon who you ask. ;)

But first deleted one other program. V E R Y slow to delete.

One thing that worked for me after a hard reset was to stop the epg download after signal acquisition and let it play for about 15 min. then go to epg and scroll out an 1 or so and then let the epg download. It let me access full dvr functions after that. Good luck. :up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts