vip722 recovery

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dmacy

Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
I have a dish vip 722 in my RV. Recently I was unable to fire the receiver up after setting up in a campground. The tv one lite would lite up for a few minutes and go out. Then it would lite up and go out. The whole time the cooling fan ran. There was nothing on the tv screen. When I got home I called Dish and they said it sounded like the receiver was in recovery mode and they would send out a tech to diagnose the problem. Today I brought the receiver in the house and after a short time it powered up and all is fine. Has anybody else had this problem and how can I avoid it in the future?

Thanks
Dave

yep somtimes it could happen its normal it may been unpluged while on or something i would worry too much less it keeps happing reciver just reset its self is all

The problem is that this went on for days. I tired unplugging for several minutes and then re plugging, tried resetting via the power switch and finally just let it do its thing. It just kept trying to reboot for days until I got home took it out of the RV and plugged it in at home. After several hours at home it finely booted up and all was fine. The problem was that I was without it for days.

well unfornaly to say when u unplug it your resetting reciver when pluged back in if were me for rv use id gett less expenciver reciver or 2nd reciver unpluging it every day id imagine its not good for reciver expecaiyl a dvr

well unfornaly to say when u unplug it your resetting reciver when pluged back in if were me for rv use id gett less expenciver reciver or 2nd reciver unpluging it every day id imagine its not good for reciver expecaiyl a dvr

Umm, can we have the english version?

probably a power fluctuation issue or low power, if it had too much power it would turn on and off. you can check ur heat values by going to menu, 6 , 3, counters, and use the "page" down button untill you see hdd temps. high temp ought not to be much over 120

What power source are you using in your RV? A cheap inverter to convert 12V battery to 120 "AC" may produce many problem. True sine-wave converter are expensive but less likely to produce problems. I don't know the quality of AC required for Dish (power supplies) products. As a minimum verify the voltage output (110-120) and check that it has enough current for all your appliances. The waveform might need checking with an oscilloscope--1-kW battery-powered inverters have lots of spikes and sub-50W transformer plug-ins are underpowered.
-Ken

The power source is shore power 120 volts with no voltage drop. I have since learned that Dish has had similar problems with all the 622 and 722 receivers with software versions L618 and L721. Some just continue to reboot, some just reboot and random and some don't reboot at all. They are working on a new software version to try to fix some of these problems.

Hit or miss

The power source is shore power 120 volts with no voltage drop. I have since learned that Dish has had similar problems with all the 622 and 722 receivers with software versions L618 and L721. Some just continue to reboot, some just reboot and random and some don't reboot at all. They are working on a new software version to try to fix some of these problems.

Thing is shore power in RV camp grounds can be hit or miss quality wise. It be that the lot you were at had voltage swings due to the distance to the main power. It also may have had constant phase shifts too. there are many reasons that the power may have been the problem in this particular case. In general the appliances are not bothered so much by bad power set ups, where as we know that VIP DVR's are susceptible to problems with it. Even in home we have seen problems when the grounding was strange so I tend to think that the power supplied at your camp was less than clean and smooth.

I have to concur that the problem was probably power related. Every time I have seen the ViP receviers act like that it has been due to power problems (bad ground, over-voltage, etc). It's always the same customers with the same problems, and the receivers always work fine when I get them back to the shop and test them out. But, try convincing a customer with a brand new $500,000+ house that the problem is his electricity.....

I have to concur that the problem was probably power related. Every time I have seen the ViP receviers act like that it has been due to power problems (bad ground, over-voltage, etc). It's always the same customers with the same problems, and the receivers always work fine when I get them back to the shop and test them out. But, try convincing a customer with a brand new $500,000+ house that the problem is his electricity.....
My 722 with L618 is having a reboot problem since I moved to a new place.
It worked fine before; the problem started right at the new home.

Having read the above I thought is related to the electrical in the new place.

I have tried two different surge protectors. I even bought an Philips SPB8896WA Battery Backup & Surge Protector.

I was not sure if the grounding on that electrical outlet was good/connected, so I ran a new, second ground wire from the electrical outlet via the DP44 to a brand new grounding rod just outside.

Still, my 722 restarts by itself every hour or so.

Does anybody have more ideas ?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)