VIP722 replacement receiver not receiving OTA UHF. VHF OK

bnaivar

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 4, 2003
Atlanta, GA
Recently I had to replace my VIP722 receiver. I had an OTA antenna connected to this receiver and it had no trouble receiving all of the Atlanta OTA channels and their sub-channels. When I got the replacement VIP722 receiver from Dish, I connected the same antenna and did a local channel scan. The receiver only showed WXIA channel 11 and WPBA channel 8 and their sub channels on the resulting channel scan. These are the only two VHF channels in the Atlanta area. The new receiver cannot pick up any of the UHF channels the old receiver did. I connected the antenna directly to my television and it picked up all the VHF and UHF channels with no problem.

Of course when I tried Dish Tech support, they couldn't understand why I wanted to get the OTAs if I had the Local channel package on my receiver. They couldn't understand that all of these channels have sub-channels that Dish doesn't carry.

Try scanning for channels with NO antenna connected to zero it out. Then, reconnect the antenna and try again.

I'm assuming this "new" receiver already has the latest firmware downloaded on it? Is it a 722K, or just and old-school 722?

Oh, and are you sure you have the antenna coax connected to the OTA tuner rf connector, and not one of the others by accident?

If set up correctly, and it still doesn't pick them up, replace it. Go thru DIRT and avoid the clueless CSRs.

Primestar31: Good ideas, unfortunately, I've tried them all. I do need to make sure it's a 722K.

larkor: I'll make sure when I get home. I'm guessing it should be offair, right?

navychop: I don't want to relive the horror story I had getting the replacement. UPS lost it, but Dish wouldn't send another one, and still had me on the 30 day return countdown. Eventually UPS delivered my two-day shipped receiver after about two and a half weeks. If it comes to that, I'll just leave the antenna connected to my TV.

Thanks for the suggestions!

larkor: I'll make sure when I get home. I'm guessing it should be offair, right?

That is correct. I'm thinking the cable setting would pick up channels 2-13, but not uhf.

Believe it or not, that's what did it! I went to the HDTV setup on the menu, set the menus for "Offair", "720P", "16x9", and then went to the Local Channels and rescanned. All the off-air channels and their sub-channels came in beautifully.

Thanks larkor!

Believe it or not, that's what did it! I went to the HDTV setup on the menu, set the menus for "Offair", "720P", "16x9", and then went to the Local Channels and rescanned. All the off-air channels and their sub-channels came in beautifully.

Thanks larkor!

Well I just learned something new today. Had no idea this setting existed.

I deleted my scanned channels, changed it to cable & sure enough only vhf channels came in, no uhf.

Will definitely make a mental note of this.

Yeah, I had to check my 722 just now to see if I was mis-remembering. Is this is a new option? I sure don't remember it being there before. The setting in question has cable, offair, IRC, and HRC settings. One wonders what these are for?

Just googled for this. HRC stands for "harmonically related carriers", while IRC stands for "incrementally related carriers". These are different ways of assigning channels on cable. But, but... I thought our receivers couldn't tune cable channels.

Last edited:
This setting should really be in the local channel menu & not where it is.

Yeah, I had to check my 722 just now to see if I was mis-remembering. Is this is a new option? I sure don't remember it being there before. The setting in question has cable, offair, IRC, and HRC settings. One wonders what these are for?

Just googled for this. HRC stands for "harmonically related carriers", while IRC stands for "incrementally related carriers". These are different ways of assigning channels on cable. But, but... I thought our receivers couldn't tune cable channels.

Not a new option...since day one, years ago.

Yet I'll still bet - it CAN'T tune in CATV.

That is an old option from when the dish receivers had an analog tuner. They could at that time actually tune to cable channels. Now all the setting does is try to tune the analog frequencies with the atsc tuner which of course doesn't work.

Sent from my iPhone

That is an old option from when the dish receivers had an analog tuner. They could at that time actually tune to cable channels. Now all the setting does is try to tune the analog frequencies with the atsc tuner which of course doesn't work.

Unbelievable! How many Dish receivers had an NTSC tuner? One? (That's all I can think of.) Sometimes you really have to wonder what Dish software engineers do for a living. They sure don't clean up after themselves.

The 5000 and JVC DVHS both had NTSC tuners.
The 6000, the 811, the 921, and the 942 all had both NTSC and ATSC tuners

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)