Virus from this site or very rare coincidence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You mean in addition to the hardware firewall in most routers?

I do remember one time that I visited this site a couple of years ago (this was before I became a member) that after the home page loaded, all of sudden the screen changed on me and the next page that showed up said that my computer was infected. The page looked like a my documents page that you would normally see when you open your documents, but next to each folder, it showed a number of viruses that supposedly got into each of them. I figured out that it was a whole bunch of BS because I noticed at the top of the page a URL that was in the address bar instead of what would've been something like C:\My Documents. I couldn't get rid of that page so I had to do alt-control-delete and restart my computer. I scanned my computer for any actual viruses and nothing showed up which was good. I was using Windows XP and either IE7 or IE8 when that problem occurred. Today I'm using Windows 7 and Firefox and I haven't had to deal with any bugs or viruses since I upgraded to Windows 7.

People ask me to "clean" their PCs all the time and stupid me, I convince many to use Firefox or Chrome. So much for repeat business... One person I had to trick into using Firefox. I hid all icons for IE and even changed the FF icon on their desktop to IE's icon and renamed it. His wife launched it, saw "Mozilla Firefox" in the title bar and panicked. They called me and I had to walk them through getting the IE icon back... Heh, guess what ? I had to clean it again soon enough.

Another problem are people who turn their PCs off when not being used. Apps (AV, anti-(fill in the blank), etc) can't keep updated when people do this, in my experience...

Sent from my ADR6400L

I've never had a problem with this site. I've also been on Firefox for years......

I've been on this website since day one, nearly every day! I've never seen a problem, ever, using Firefox/Safari......

Then suddenly spyware popped up titled XP internet security 2012 and was one of those types of spyware that blocka you from opening programs and wants your credit card info.

That is a bitch to remove.

You gotta know what you are doing, but it can be done.

I remember one of them someone who paid for it posted the key to unlock it, and from there we where able to completely remove it.

Other times you got to stop the process from booting up on the computer.

For those that seem to be having issue I'd say go out and buy a good Firewall box and it'll most likely stop your problems that your having.
No, it won't. A firewall will not block anything that "you" request and by visiting a page, "you" (your browser) request the ads from wherever they may come from. A firewall will stop random probes or attacks by people (or bots) that are randomly looking for machines though. That's NOT what's going on here.

No, it won't. A firewall will not block anything that "you" request and by visiting a page, "you" (your browser) request the ads from wherever they may come from. A firewall will stop random probes or attacks by people (or bots) that are randomly looking for machines though. That's NOT what's going on here.

I agree to your first part, BUT that's why you have other programs like antivirus to protect yourself from those that come from the web sites or email.
But we really don't know how protected some people are and how some people are really being infected. Do they have a fire wall or router, myself I only use a enterprise firewall box to protect my system and make sure the other programs are up to date. Besides that I make a weekly tape backup of my PC's and 3 servers.
If there was a problem here then a lot more people would be having problems, BUT their not.

That is a bitch to remove.

You gotta know what you are doing, but it can be done.

I remember one of them someone who paid for it posted the key to unlock it, and from there we where able to completely remove it.

Other times you got to stop the process from booting up on the computer.

Your right it can be a pain in the as*. My sister in law send me her laptop from Indiana to remove it and she was running Norton, almost came to the point of just installing XP and dumping the Vista software to save time. But I finally found all the register links and removed them.

I agree to your first part, BUT that's why you have other programs like antivirus to protect yourself from those that come from the web sites or email.
Which is it ?? The post I responded to above you said to use a firewall and "I'm thinking your (sic) just depending on software and it's not working very well" and now you're saying to use "other programs".

You need BOTH and properly configured and kept up-to-date.

I was just on the installerzone when screen went black and this came on. This is not from my mcafee. this is the 2nd time for this from the installer zone. the 1st time was a month ago, i clicked remove all and that was it. my computer was taken over and we could not clean it. Reformatted the hard drive and all has been ok for the last month. I am on this site just about every day and have not had any other problems. But it just happened again today and once again i was on this website.
39gY0jkSIGM+AAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

I do have mcafee on this computer and this still got through. I removed it with a spyware removal this time.

Did it say what it was? There are reports currently on a false positive on a "real player" ad. (I don't know what that means.)

Please any info you have please PM it to me so I can submit it to our ad agencies.

Thanks!

For those who are NOT having issues, what browser are you using ? I will presume Firefox and Chrome...

Polarys425, my advice is get rid of Internet Explorer. I don't care how much MS claims they've made it more secure.

Yeah, well doing so doesn't change the fact that ad streams on this site are being hacked.

Yeah, well doing so doesn't change the fact that ad streams on this site are being hacked.
Which this site has little to no control over (until it happens). At least with a secure browser, even if an exploit is pushed, it's much less likely to do anything in the end.

What Hall said (did I just say that? :D)

And besides making sure your browser is up to date also make sure your Adobe Flash Player is up to date as that is how most of the exploits get through!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts