Vista Admin Rights

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
My account on my home machine is set as an Administrator, yet I don't seem to have full admin rights, like I can't overwrite files and I still get prompted even with the UAC off.

That's strange. The account you first created should have all rights to the box.

Well when you turn off UAC you half to reboot the machine before it takes effect and it should prompt you as well to reboot.. Also make sure that it is truly turned off..

UAC has been turned off for a long while. It's just weird, as I show as an administrator, yet it seems like I don't have full rights to the box. I still get prompted every now and then when I go to execute a program.

Not every file allows you to manipulate it even as administrator.
You have to go into the properties of the file and set permissions for the administrator.

XP does the same thing. Files that are created by low level system tasks must often have their permissions tweaked. I have a recurring nightmare with Windows Update files and Executive Software's Undelete telling me that I cannot empty them. I must use a script that sets the permissions appropriately before Undelete allows me to empty them.

This problem is particularly stinky because Windows Update favors using whatever volume has the most space available to make its messes.

XP does the same thing. Files that are created by low level system tasks must often have their permissions tweaked. I have a recurring nightmare with Windows Update files and Executive Software's Undelete telling me that I cannot empty them. I must use a script that sets the permissions appropriately before Undelete allows me to empty them.

This problem is particularly stinky because Windows Update favors using whatever volume has the most space available to make its messes.

I bet that's exactly the problem, good catch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts