Vista Admin Rights

Neutron

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
My account on my home machine is set as an Administrator, yet I don't seem to have full admin rights, like I can't overwrite files and I still get prompted even with the UAC off.

Ramy

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
Here
That's strange. The account you first created should have all rights to the box.

Poke

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 3, 2003
OK
Did you restart your machine after you turned off UAC??

Poke

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Dec 3, 2003
OK
Well when you turn off UAC you half to reboot the machine before it takes effect and it should prompt you as well to reboot.. Also make sure that it is truly turned off..

Neutron

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
UAC has been turned off for a long while. It's just weird, as I show as an administrator, yet it seems like I don't have full rights to the box. I still get prompted every now and then when I go to execute a program.

.O.

.O.

SatelliteGuys Family
Feb 13, 2005
PHX
Not every file allows you to manipulate it even as administrator.
You have to go into the properties of the file and set permissions for the administrator.

harshness

harshness

SatelliteGuys Master
May 5, 2007
Salem, OR
XP does the same thing. Files that are created by low level system tasks must often have their permissions tweaked. I have a recurring nightmare with Windows Update files and Executive Software's Undelete telling me that I cannot empty them. I must use a script that sets the permissions appropriately before Undelete allows me to empty them.

This problem is particularly stinky because Windows Update favors using whatever volume has the most space available to make its messes.

Ramy

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
Here
XP does the same thing. Files that are created by low level system tasks must often have their permissions tweaked. I have a recurring nightmare with Windows Update files and Executive Software's Undelete telling me that I cannot empty them. I must use a script that sets the permissions appropriately before Undelete allows me to empty them.

This problem is particularly stinky because Windows Update favors using whatever volume has the most space available to make its messes.

I bet that's exactly the problem, good catch.