VMWare Server vs. Workstation...

John Kotches

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 21, 2003
Troy, IL (STL Area)
Is it worth the $$$ to purchase VMWare workstation vs. free VMWare server for someone that is just wanting to work with and gain familiarity with VMWare as a virtualization software?

I'm not sure that my $$$ buys me anything of merit for my intended purpose.

Can someone with more background on these products give me their feedback?

Cheers,

Workstation brings:

1) Multiple snapshots
2) slightly better GUI (MHO)

I don't know what else, but #1 is important to me at work for some of the development I do on VM's that are moving to ESX.

LER

If you are going to just want to play around with VMware, I would stick to VMware server to start with. This will give you the experience you are looking for wtih out needing to spend any money on the software. Use your money saved to increase the memory in the workstation that you will be using for VMware.

LER and JAG:

Right now; as you've both determined it's about learning a bit about VMWare.

So for the time being; Server will be fine. I'll migrate over to Workstation down the road when I am back working again.

Best,

Check out VirtualBox as well. I have VMWare Server and it doesn't handle USB hot-plugging very well. Workstation handles it better, but even with my university discount, Workstation will cost me about $100.

Then I found VirtualBox and honestly find it preferable to either VMWare product. Now keep in mind that I'm not looking at a commercial application of virtualization.

Using Virtualbox I can easily set up a "headless" VM and while I am pretty sure VMWare can accomplish this as well, with Virtualbox it was extremely easy. I like easy. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts