VOD - CSR totally confused

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Eric_C

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
We never use PPV or anything like that.

Today we decided to use the VOD to get Dewey Cox on HD.

We downloaded the movie over night. Tonight we go to watch it and it says it cannot connect to the internet.

Well the box see's my Twonky server so I know the network is working. I don't want to screw around with it so I call CS.

The person kept thinking I had PPV....I said no VOD...then I explained what VOD was to her. I keep getting a 732 error, although I can watch the movie, just with an error in the corner.

They wanted to transfer me to troubleshoot the connection because she had no idea what VOD was.

I told her I just want to watch the movie, can't you authorize it....she said I need to get my connection problem fixed, well first off its YOUR connection problem, not mine. The whole house is wired and the HR21 see's my DLNA server just fine.

Plus the internet works fine, I get some of the internet provided content no problems.

I just said forget it....my wife wanted to watch the movie still so she is on the phone with them as I type....5 minutes into the call and it hung up on her.

Anyone else have VOD working?

1a. They call it DoD so in that can be the confusion.
1b. CSRs are not techs and are not trained to tech troubleshoot; they are script oriented.

2. It would be YOUR connection not theirs. Setup static IP assignment in your network per device and you will be fine; I bet you are having IP collision/conflicts.

DoD works just fine here as well.

No conflicts, its set static to an IP way out of any other device.

I have 2 computers, 2 laptops, a PS3, print server, networked printer and an IPTV box.

They all work fine. The HR21 downloaded the movie via broadband and all the other broadband stuff works fine.

If it was an IP conflict it would not see my DLNA server, nor would my HR21 show up as a valid device on the DLNA server.

I called back and spent 30 minutes explaining to them what VOD was, they kept asking me what channel I wanted to watch it on and that was technical support.

Then the guy blamed my network without even understanding how a router worked.

The HR21 even shows as being a connected device on my router and the HR21 picks up my custom DNS from my router since I do not use standard ISP provided DNS.

I do not have a phone line but I was told I did not need one.

BTW if they call it DOD then the HR21 shouldn't call it VOD :)

Another thing...I finally said give me to internet tech support but the guy insisted I could order via him.

20 minutes later he was still asking me what time and channel I wanted.

Eric C

The fact that the D* people you spoke with did not know anything about it does NOT surprise me at all.

VOD / DOD is a CE issue I think, therefore you should NOT be calling D* about anything to do with a CE download.
I do believe that D* has not authorized Dod for general use, unless it has been sent thru the National Release already.
If it has, I apologize and they should know enough to trouble shoot or send you to someone that can.

Has Dod come thru the NR now ???

Jimbo

Jimbo, DoD/VoD has moved out of the CE phase and all HR20/HR21's have had it for a number of months. However, D* considers it a beta product still at the moment so support will be it or miss.

Probably the best way to get help would be here, DBSTalk or the D* support forum at DIRECTV Forums - Customers share tech advice on HD..DVR..remotes which has a DoD (beta) subform for help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)