Volume level for AC3 audio using Sonic Voom headphones

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

thisBUDsforyou

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
My CS5000 doesn't decode AC3 audio which is a bummer because the PBS channels on G25 are AC3. So I bought a set of Sonic Voom headphones to decode the audio. With these you don't actually use the headphones (although you could) but just connect the little box that comes with them to your receiver and then to the TV. I used the optic cable that came with the 'phones to go from the IRD to the input on the Sonic Voom. The Sonic Voom handles both AC3 and regular audio.

One problem, though: there was a huge drop in volume for non-AC3 audio channels with the Sonic Voom versus connecting the IRD directly to the TV. This is a problem because of the huge difference in volume from other video sources such as my other IRD and my terrestrial digital TV tuner. My solution was to buy two RCA plug Y adapters - they each have two RCA female plugs connected to one male plug. I combined the audio out from the IRD with the audio out from the Sonic Voom and then to the TV. This gives much louder audio for the non-AC3 channels, although I still have to crank it up to listen to PBS.

also most of the ird's put out a fixed line level out on the SPDIF connections, and the broadcasters all send volume out at different levels. you might be out of luck at trying to get the volume to be constant among all of the channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)