Volume One, Show Twenty-Three.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
This week Scott and Bob close out our first volume of podcast’s, and reflect on our first season of the Satelliteguys.us Podcast. We also talk about the new DVB S2 tuner cartridge that Pansat is producing for the 9200 and Scott gives us an update on the Fortec Passion. Finally, we cover all the latest Dish Network news including the TiVo vs. EchoStar lawsuit, and the launch of CNN HD, ScifiHD, and UsaHD on Dish Network. Don’t forget to vote for us at Podcast Alley! We will see you real soon!
Dialup users click here! (Real Audio)

Attachments

• 042008satelliteguys.mp3
    13.1 MB · Views: 1,539
Great show guys.

Glad to see you signed up for another season.:)

Bob. Sound was very good on both ends. It sounded like you and Scott were in the same room.

Nice job again guys. Audio sounded more balanced this week on both sides.

Scott, you don't switch gears quite as smoothly as Bob. :up :haha

BTW, I'd like to nominate the official name for the Satelliteguys.us Podcast..."Switching Gears" or, "Let's Go Ahead And Switch Gears."

Switching Gears
A Satelliteguys.us Podcast

This week Scott and Bob close out our first volume of podcast’s, and reflect on our first season of the Satelliteguys.us Podcast. We also talk about the new DVB S2 tuner cartridge that Pansat is producing for the 9200 and Scott gives us an update on the Fortec Passion. Finally, we cover all the latest Dish Network news including the TiVo vs. EchoStar lawsuit, and the launch of CNN HD, ScifiHD, and UsaHD on Dish Network. Don’t forget to vote for us at Podcast Alley! We will see you real soon!
Dialup users click here! (Real Audio)

In this podcast there are all kinds of wrong. You say that Dish will not have to shut down their DVR's. That is simply wrong. The injunction went into effect on April 18. 2008 and on April 21 the appeal ruling, which Dish lost, made its way to the docket of the district court where Judge Folsom has been overseeing the case. Within the next few weeks Judge Folsom will get back to reviewing the appeals court decision and make his final ruling. If Dish does not strike a deal with Tivo many people are going to have their DVR's disabled. You even read the ruling in the podcast but you did not hear what it said.

You also stated that the 192,000 represents the number of units that are the model numbers you quoted. That is not true. Those 192,000 represents an estimated number of lifetime subscriptions Tivo could have sold, if Dish has not infringed on Tivo's patent. The judge ordered that Dish pay a one time fee for that amount of units. Because in the dish settlement Tivo will receive that money, that amount of Dish units are considered lifetime units and can be kept operating. There are approximately 4.4 to 5 million units in the field that will be effected by this injunction.

Last edited:
In this podcast there are all kinds of wrong. You say that Dish will not have to shut down their DVR's. That is simply wrong. The injunction went into effect on April 18. 2008 and on April 21 the appeal ruling, which Dish lost, made its way to the docket of the district court where Judge Folsom has been overseeing the case. Within the next few weeks Judge Folsom will get back to reviewing the appeals court decision and make his final ruling. If Dish does not strike a deal with Tivo many people are going to have their DVR's disabled. You even read the ruling in the podcast but you did not hear what it said.

You also stated that the 192,000 represents the number of units that are the model numbers you quoted. That is not true. Those 192,000 represent the number of units that Tivo has collected lifetime sub money on and the judge ordered that Dish pay a one time fee for that amount of units. Because in the dish settlement Tivo will recieve that money, those units are lifetime units and can be kept operating. There are approximately 4.4 to 5 million units in the field that will be effected by this injunction.

Actualy we were right. IF you listen in again, dish has redesigned the boxes so they dont infringe. Sence the software doesnt infringe, the rueling doesnt apply to those boxes. I have never heard anything of a life time sub, where did you get this info at?

Actualy we were right. IF you listen in again, dish has redesigned the boxes so they dont infringe. Sence the software doesnt infringe, the rueling doesnt apply to those boxes. I have never heard anything of a life time sub, where did you get this info at?

I do not need to listen again because I have been aware of that since the first day Dish announced the new software. It happened the day after Dish lost the appeal trial. Funny that they never mentioned new software before that, even though they said they had downloaded the new software to the machines months before. So far, we only have Dish's word that the new software does not infringe. It has not been proven in a court of law and since Dish has insisted for years that their units do not infringe, what real worth can we assign to Dish's words? Not much, I would say.

Dish recently asked that the case be heard again and the court denied their request. After two trials the court knew that it was just Dish being a pain in the butt. Now Dish has asked that the Supreme Court hear the case. However, the Supreme court is deluged by more than 7,400 requests for trial rehearings per year. Being that they are only 9 people it is impossible for them to hear more than one percent of them. That one percent is an official figure that I have personally researched and found to be accurate. The Supreme Court is highly likely to turn down the Dish request because the Supreme court only hears the most important cases. When the Supreme court denies the rehearing of the trial, Dish will officially be out of options in the legal system.

The injunction went into effect on April 18, 2008 and if the court believed that the new Dish software was not infringing then they would have issued a stay and abolished the injunction. That injunction calls for disabling the ability to record to the hard drive and play back from the hard drive. So at this point, Dish is in violation of the Court ordered injunction and will soon be slapped with a contempt of court penalty which will most likely be a very hefty fine for each day of continued contempt of court. Past cases show that these fines tend to be so heavy that they force compliance.

On April 18 2008, Dish sent out a written notice to all their resellers, telling them not to install the listed units. If they truly had software that does not infringe, they would simply let those units be installed and then immediately download the new software to the boxes. The fact that they are not doing that means they know they are still infringing and are trying to buy time to see if the Supreme Court will hear the case and stay the injunction.

Also, although the injunction does list specific models, it also states that it will apply to other models that are only "colorably different". In other words, when the first lawsuit was over, the list contained only models that had been made up to that point. Models manufactured after the date of the injunction in 2006 will come under further scrutiny to see if they are more than "colorably different" or if they also infringe.

In this link I am providing, read post number 1195 from Curtis. The original thread had over a thousand posts and the one I am directing you to is now over a thousand as well. I have read all of both threads and this guy Curtis is right on the money and he has insights into the legal world and how things work. I do not know if he is a lawyer or just very smart. He does spend time reading the legal press releases from the court. He is the one who says the 192,000 was for life time subs that Tivo would have garnered if not for Dish infringing on Tivo's patent all these years.

Continued Coverage of TiVo/Echostar Trial - Page 40 - TiVo Community

It just occured to me that you may not want to sign up for that message board so I will post his post here. he said:

"The exempt units represent the units that TiVo would have sold with lifetime subscriptions had it not been for illegal competition from Dish. TiVo was awarded one-time payments for these units so there is no award for recurring royalties on this number of units only. It's just a number. There is no particular model number involved"

The number that I read was directly from the order.

"Defendants are hereby FURTHER ORDERED to, within thirty (30) days of the issuance of this order, disable the DVR functionality (ie. disable all storage to and playback from a hard disk drive of television data) in all but 192,708 units of the infringing products that have been placed with an end user or subscriber."

The number that I read was directly from the order.

"Defendants are hereby FURTHER ORDERED to, within thirty (30) days of the issuance of this order, disable the DVR functionality (ie. disable all storage to and playback from a hard disk drive of television data) in all but 192,708 units of the infringing products that have been placed with an end user or subscriber."

Yeah, I know, I read that in 2006 at the end of the first trial. Here is the link. Estimates for how many DVR's Dish has in service used to be 4.4 million but that was at the end of the first trial. Now it is believed it is more like 5 million. So when you guys said nobody has to worry about losing their DVR functionality you were wrong for all but the 192,708 subscribers.

http://www.patentlyo.com/patent/TiVo_20Order_2.pdf

Last edited:
It also hasn't been proven that dish's new software doesn't. So no one can definitively say if it does or doesn't. Also, the software was redesigned after the final judgment in 2006. The injunction is placed last week was for the 2006 injunction. Since dish redesigned the software past the 2006 date, Tivo would have to prove again that dish is once again infringing. There were only three that could not be redesigned due to what nots. Those were the 721,921, and the 942. These boxes are no longer in production, also they are most likely no longer in use or in retailers inventory's. These were the only boxes dish asked retailers to pull from their shelfs as stated in the memo dish sent out.

Where you have it wrong is that you state its all the boxes when that is simply not true as I have read and seen the memo and listened to the retailer chats. Because the injunction lists certain models, it DOES NOT apply to other models because its not a blanket injunction. Also, sense the injunction dish redesigned the software which allows dish keep the dvr's on as the injunction only covers the old software which has been redesigned.

Weather your right or I'm right we will all find out soon. If it does turn out that your right then that will be a huge blow to dish.

It also hasn't been proven that dish's new software doesn't. So no one can definitively say if it does or doesn't. Also, the software was redesigned after the final judgment in 2006. The injunction is placed last week was for the 2006 injunction. Since dish redesigned the software past the 2006 date, Tivo would have to prove again that dish is once again infringing. There were only three that could not be redesigned due to what nots. Those were the 721,921, and the 942. These boxes are no longer in production, also they are most likely no longer in use or in retailers inventory's. These were the only boxes dish asked retailers to pull from their shelfs as stated in the memo dish sent out.

Where you have it wrong is that you state its all the boxes when that is simply not true as I have read and seen the memo and listened to the retailer chats. Because the injunction lists certain models, it DOES NOT apply to other models because its not a blanket injunction. Also, sense the injunction dish redesigned the software which allows dish keep the dvr's on as the injunction only covers the old software which has been redesigned.

Weather your right or I'm right we will all find out soon. If it does turn out that your right then that will be a huge blow to dish.

You may want to read the injunction again. It doesn't say "if you think you no longer infringe then you don't have to shut down the DVRs". They have always thought they don't infringe. It is a permanent injunction that says you must disable the DVRs (there's even a list of models). The duration of the permanent injunction is specified on the last page of the injunction:

"This injunction shall run until the expiration of the ’389 patent."

If I was a dealer I would seek legal advice.

I have never heard anything of a life time sub, where did you get this info at?
The damages were awarded to TiVo using a combination of two different methods. One method was the lost profits method giving TiVo an award for 192,708 units as an estimate of the number of DVRs with lifetime subscriptions that TiVo would have sold had Dish not infringed their patent. TiVo was awarded $32.66 million in lost profits on these units and that's the end of it. Since they were treated as lifetime subs there aren't future royalties and they don't have to be disabled. Dish can apportion the 192,708 to any model(s) they want to. It's just a number. The damages assessed on the other units was based on a royalty method. Dish has to get a license from TiVo on these units or shut them off in compliance with the injunction.

Analysis Group | Case | TiVo Inc. v. EchoStar Communications Corp.

TiVo F1Q07 (Qtr Ending Apr 30, 2006) Earnings Conference Call Transcript (TIVO) - Seeking Alpha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts