Volume unequalized on 622

catnap1972

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 26, 2004
Central Pennsylvania
I'm pretty sure there were a couple of posts about this, but is Dish planning on fixing the imbalance between the volume on the SD channels vs the HD channels? A normal volume setting on an SD channel will often result in blasting level on the HD channels (and vice versa--HD at normal volume = SD nearly silent).

That would be nice feature if they could do this. I hate having to baby sit my a/v receiver and turn it up and down depending on what channel I have it on.

Really hard to do

Providers set the level they want and E* just passes it thru. To do what you are wanting would take a comp/limiter (compressor & limiter) that would have to follow the signal. This would also change the entire dynamics of programming that is being sent thru. Some A/V receivers have a limiter built in that can be set but I don't know of any that will completely balance out like you are wanting. Let's see now to add what you are asking for would only add around $500 to what the DVR cost to build so I doubt it is gonna happen.

I'm pretty sure there were a couple of posts about this, but is Dish planning on fixing the imbalance between the volume on the SD channels vs the HD channels? A normal volume setting on an SD channel will often result in blasting level on the HD channels (and vice versa--HD at normal volume = SD nearly silent).

You're the first person I've seen think that the HD channel audio is louder than the SD.

Every complaint I've seen has been that the SD is louder.

You're the first person I've seen think that the HD channel audio is louder than the SD.

I was thinking that myself.:confused:

The dynamic range of the HD DTS audio is greater then 90db while the SD NTSC FM audio is around 40db. If you matched peak maximum loudness of a SD and HD audio from a movie, the HD audio during minimum loudness would be inaudible. Some TV's have a audio setting called "Steady Sound" or something like that which will equalize the audio volume, the VIP622 does not have this setting.

Depends...is your dish peaked or does it favor SD satellites or HD satellites?
When properly installed, the sound levels are equal.

Not at all. 100% truth. There is too much lack of knowledge for me to muddy the waters. I am giving answers that no one has.

I have not had one of these issues on any of the systems that I have fixed. When properly peaked (and they must be, due to the marginal amount of signal that is available) they work without any sound issues and/or picture quality issues. Unfortunately, if you don't have your dish at "perfect peak", for lack of a better term, you are compromising some portion of the signal.

Yes, even volume can be affected by signal quality (which is the measure of the signal-to-noise ratio, which is the amount of signal (signal strength) vs. the noise in the system.) This is not taught to installers. If it were, Dish would have a far greater responsibility to their customers and would be losing money on free service calls.

Well over 90% of service calls are generated at install. Proper education would eliminate the vast majority.

Again?

It's Highdefjeff spouting his incorrect understanding of the problem. I have a .9 meter dish peaked on 129 and it makes no difference in volume levels between SD & HD channels. I at present have a dish 500 peaked on 110 & 119 makes no difference. I'm about to install a .8 meter dish for 118.8/119 and a dish 500 w/single feed adapter for 110. If each feed is peaked on a sat it will be the best signal but above a certain threshold it only makes only a difference for rain fade. It will not affect volume levels of sound or the PQ it just gives you a margin before loss of signal.

You're right...must be my feeble mind failing...SD channels are often blasting at <10 (TV) volume level while you have to push the HD up to 30+ to get the same volume (not the other way around). Even more troubling is the "problem" seems to have gotten even more pronounced the past week or so.

I experience the opposite of the OP. When the HD channel volume is normal (comfortable for me) the SD channel (or a commercial on an HD channel) is blasting.

When I watch a SD channel at normal volume and change to HD I always have to turn the volume up.

The SD/HD channel volume issue seems to be related to the issue of commercials on a HD channel.

When I am watching an HD channel with a DD DTS 5.1 soundtrack that goes into a commercial with a 2 channel soundtrack, the volume jumps way up causing the "oh sh*t" moment reaching for the remote, especially later at night.

Does anyone who is watching SD/HD though the TV speakers only (no digital receiver or external speakers) notice the jump in volume since the TV output should only be 2 channel all the time?

Does anyone who is watching SD/HD though the TV speakers only (no digital receiver or external speakers) notice the jump in volume since the TV output should only be 2 channel all the time?

See above (where I admit I was thinking backwards).

It's bad through the TV as well (SD level is "jump out of the seat" scary vs the same "numerical" HD volume levels)

Same problem plus, with my 722K, the bedroom TV is hooked up via RF only.
I have to turn the TV volume up all the way. I was using a 3900 and you could adjust the volume on it or the TV but can't seem to raise the 722K vol. Same on my main A/V system. For a DVD volume = 50 For FM volume = 50 For HBO HD I have to crank the volume up to 70 on my Sony A/V unit. And the SD appears to have higher volume than HD. Is there no service menu on the 722K you can get to to raise the volume? I normally leave the guide on HD only so I don't get blown away when I hit SD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)