Von Weise 24LC

Status
Please reply by conversation.

^cthenorth

Original poster
Hi!
I have a new DSR 922 and am having problems installing a Von Wise 24LC.It looks different than the old VonWise but hooks up the same.When I try to set the limits the travel of the dish is too short.If I set the east limit it won't go all the way to the west limit and if I set the west limit it won't go all the way to the east.
I put the old one back to check it out and this works(It was just sloppy and moved about in the wind)
I wonder if the calibration between the actuator travel and the limit switches is out of whack.This is a brand new unit still under guarantee so I don't want to go too far in this respect.
Do you know how to get in contact with Von Wise? The website is out (Fasco) and I live in Canada so there is no service here.
Any help appreciated

If the dish is actually moving to your easternmost satellite and westernmost satellite, then the limit switches in the actuator are not causing the problem. It would seem the limit numbers in the 922 are not set properly. Are you following the instructions in the manual for setting the limit numbers? What numbers are showing on the limits menu?

Von Weise 24 LC

Hi Hermitman:
Thanks for the reply.The manual I have is a "user manual" and in it they say I don't have to set the limits first,but I have to as all the stored counts for the sat position are radically different to the limit counts.I would like to cancell them but I have even unpluged the unit for an hour but to no avail.I tested the lines for shorts as a mouse ate them once,but they tested fine.
As I said this Von Wise is of a new type as far as the electronics go.....but it hooks up the same.
You are right about the limit switches,the numbers move as the dish moves but because the limits are so screwy the 922 says "Dish beyond Limits" all the time.I would love to cancel those limit # but all I can cancell is the satellite memory.
Thanks ^cthenorth

Looking at the 922 Operator's Guide in the FTA Manuals section on this website, page 35 shows the screen for reseting the dish limits. Have you tried using this screen?

Von Weise

Hi!
Yes ! I have that manual.......The numbers are in the range of only 100east limit&300for the west limit.The dish will not phsically reach the end of stroke for the 100 east limit.The old arm(Von Weise 24) had the same numbers as shown in this manual.I can't get these numbers with the new arm.Maybe it's faulty.I tried switching the power wires around but it was the same thing only reversed.I will have to ship it back to Von Weise but their web site is down(Fasco):confused:^cthenorth

There cannot be any lost motion or free play in the actuator or mounting hardware. Otherwise the count will be incorrect when moving the dish back and forth. The sensor will count the pulses and the dish will constantly stop in the wrong position.

Is the dish mover the correct length for the dish? Are the same sensors used in both? My setup has always had a 4 digit position count using HTS style sensors.

I found this Von Weise actuator replacement information for the 4dtv receiver at this webpage:

VonWeise Actuator Help

It says:

4dtv Actuator Install Hints: If the bushing is gone on old motor, before replacing actuator, run the receiver all the way to the east limit ( receiver memory) and then when you install new actuator, adjust the first satellite chosen and perform align all in 4dtv menu. This should place most all satellites at or near their receiver locations.

Hope this helps.

Von Weise

Hi Hermitman&Corrado:
The actuator is new out of the box& it will not go to the east limit.both limit switches operate but of course the one for the east limit is not triggered.
I have a instruction here on how to boot the DSR 922 back to the stone age.(factory reset).It says press Option 67787 enter.I will have to ask for a rehit for time and reprogramming.I am a little worried as the instructions say to use this as a last resort.
What do you think?It appears to store the sats I have set perfectly,but none east of C3.The cable is new but I did a continuity check just in case.It appears mice like vinyl.
I will have to wait till Tuesday to try the stone age trick due to our Stat Holiday on Monday.
Many thanks ^cthenorth

I think I would try something similar to the Install Hints. I would re-install the old actuator at the satellite position you removed it and run it to the East limit. Then I would adjust the new actuator, using a 12 volt battery, to the same length as the old actuator. I would then swap the old and new actuator. It would seem the new actuator would inherit the old actuator's numbers and positions. Good Luck.

Maybe I missed something in reading over the thread, so pardon if this is a stupid suggestion . . .

Is there any chance the new VW has more counts per revolution than the old one?
That would account for the "I'm at the end already - stop!" situation.

I know some have 48 counts or pulses per revolution.
I've not read a lot about all of their models, but I do know other brands have fewer.
Just wondering if an older unit or different model VW might , too.

Hi Hermitman&Anole:
This unit has the same counts /min as the old one,but the voltage is 36 and not 24.I see from previous threads that this should not be an issue.
Funny you would mention running the old arm again.I was going to try it......I think(I hope) it was in G1 position.Will it need two car batteries to make it move?Perhaps the 922 just had a hissy fit.I hear they are touchy that way.
Thanks again ^cthenorth

One 12 volt battery should work fine since there's no load on it. It will just move slow. Another item to look at, when you're at the dish limit screen like on page 35, as you press the right or left arrow to move the dish to a new limit, does the dish move and can you watch the numbers change?

Status
Please reply by conversation.