Voom Adds More! (WealthTVHD, Fine Living, DIY,..)

Wealthtv appears to be a channel much like Equator. Wealthtv though has a nice 'twist.' The interviews with people like Robert Wagner and others as well as the international news makes this a nice addition. I like it. Nice work VOOM!

:cool:

Thanks to VoOm once again for the new channels! :)

I'm very pleased with the service VoOm has provided me for the past year. I know that I can not get the same, or even comparable service from any other provider at the moment. These new channel additions are great news for VoOm and it's seems to me right now that things can only get better for VoOm. I know that the (highly exaggerated) PQ issues will be addressed once the MPEG4 upgrades are complete and I am willing to be patient about that while VoOm is in this transition period.

To those of you non-Voomers who are reading this thread and considering subscribing to VoOm please take into account that there is a small, yet loud, cross section of people in our society that can not, and never will be happy with anything, and those are often the people who are most vocal. VoOm is a company like any other, they are not perfect and their service is not flawless, however their HD offerings do shine above the rest at this time and IMHO will continue to grow and become even better in the coming months and years. :yes

I am enjoying having VH-1 Classic. When I had E*, I would turn on VH-1 Classic to have playing in the background. I had really missed it when I switched to VOOM and it's good to have it again. I have probably have had it on more than anything else this week.

Thanks VOOM!!

Jamey K said:
I am enjoying having VH-1 Classic. When I had E*, I would turn on VH-1 Classic to have playing in the background. I had really missed it when I switched to VOOM and it's good to have it again. I have probably have had it on more than anything else this week.

Thanks VOOM!!
Agreed. That's far and away my favorite of the new channels I get. Kind of a time warp. Cool. :D

txdude said:
...To those of you non-Voomers who are reading this thread and considering subscribing to VoOm please take into account that there is a small, yet loud, cross section of people in our society that can not, and never will be happy with anything, and those are often the people who are most vocal...

While I agree the Voom service has overall met my needs better than other offerings available, attempting to marginalize people who post about issues is not very constructive. Channel bundling is an issue to many here (including myself), and we have just as much of a "right" ("right" in quotes as this is a privately owned forum) to state our opinions as anyone else. Trying to make the argument (and sweeping social statement) stating that often the most "vocal" posters cannot be satisfied with *anything* is incorrect.

I'll have been a subscriber to Voom for a year in a couple of months. Were I still at the point of shopping around for service providers I would like to know both the positives *and* negatives before making a decision. Programming, PQ (though not discussed in this thread, I do see some trivialization of that issue in your post), pricing packages, customer service, everything is a factor in making an informed choice. Now don't get me wrong, I like Voom. I've recommended it to others and have also even been referred to as a "cheerleader" at different times on different forums. But if I have an issue (even one that could be construed as "trivial" or a "non-issue" by others), I will state it. And from a Voom standpoint (company wise) I would think that they would *want* to hear input from "all" sides of the choices they make.

Contrary to what some may think of me here, I have aquired the nickname of Voombano at AVS. Any of my criticism of Voom here is in hope that Voom will listen and learn. Not to slam it. I try to air my complaints here, not there. I think overall there is no other service as HD "complete" as Voom at this time. (excluding C band) It will be sad to go back to D* if Voom fails. I dread having to flip through 5 or 6 D* HD channels in 10 seconds then think to myself, "this is what I spent all of this money for?" and then tuning into free HD OTA. D* channel changing goes something like this:

ESPNHD.. geez SD again?????????
DiscoveryHD ..... o lord not napolean or the dust devils of Mars again?
HBHOHD .... man I saw this twice yesterday.
SHOHD ... I saw this 3 times the day before.
HDnet ... well I could watch Ivana 24/7 too bad they dont show Hotlines and bikini destinations more.But more than likely theres an obscure college basketball rerun on. Or an old Hockey repeat. Still more sports than we have though.
HDnet movies............. they are showing DVD's now?
UniversalHD... My gosh how much law and order can one person stand?

Hmm lets see whats on CBS.

No one will have more crow to eat from the D* fans at AVS than I. Well maybe Cineramax LMAO.

Now with that said, When do the bikini babes hit the air on Wealth? We are getting babes in bikinis right? I heard someone say that. Who said that?:D

The whole time I've watched you get slammed I was thinking the same, (here's a guy who championed Voom as much as anybody in the past). A quick search of your older posts here and on AVS show your not anti-Voom, maybe just a little more demanding than some :D

But, yeah where's the bikini babes?

B.Greenway said:
The whole time I've watched you get slammed I was thinking the same, (here's a guy who championed Voom as much as anybody in the past). A quick search of your older posts here and on AVS show your not anti-Voom, maybe just a little more demanding than some :D

But, yeah where's the bikini babes?

wealth tv has a website. Im going to start looking.

deeann said:
While I agree the Voom service has overall met my needs better than other offerings available, attempting to marginalize people who post about issues is not very constructive. Channel bundling is an issue to many here (including myself), and we have just as much of a "right" ("right" in quotes as this is a privately owned forum) to state our opinions as anyone else. Trying to make the argument (and sweeping social statement) stating that often the most "vocal" posters cannot be satisfied with *anything* is incorrect.

I'll have been a subscriber to Voom for a year in a couple of months. Were I still at the point of shopping around for service providers I would like to know both the positives *and* negatives before making a decision. Programming, PQ (though not discussed in this thread, I do see some trivialization of that issue in your post), pricing packages, customer service, everything is a factor in making an informed choice. Now don't get me wrong, I like Voom. I've recommended it to others and have also even been referred to as a "cheerleader" at different times on different forums. But if I have an issue (even one that could be construed as "trivial" or a "non-issue" by others), I will state it. And from a Voom standpoint (company wise) I would think that they would *want* to hear input from "all" sides of the choices they make.

Deeann,

My post was not about marginalizing people who post about issues they have with VoOm. If you read my post carefully, you will see that I acknowledge that I too have issues with VoOms service. My goal in the post in question was to provide a fair balance for others who are trying to decide if they should even try the service.

It is important for current VoOmers on this forum to realize that the success or failure of VoOm may be largely dependent on this community, especially at this stage. Like it or not, anyone that is searching for information on VoOm is undoubtedly going to end up reading these forums. Every rant and every rave posted here can have a direct impact on VoOm acquiring more subscribers or not. This means that it is just as important and just as “constructive” for us to mention the good stuff as it is to mention the bad stuff.

As for the "sweeping social statement" you refer to, I suppose I could have limited it to the confines of this forum, although IMHO it scales quite well beyond those confines ;)

Not everything on WealthTv is HD. There are upconvert programs. I haven't watched a whole lot but this is a given as other had posted.

I watched a little Wealthtv last night and even though some of their stuff are upconverts, I found myself watching a couple of show back to back. It is a niche channel but the content is interesting. Thanks Voom.

About vurbano, he is cool. His comments are made with the intention to help Voom not to hurt it. Yes, sometimes Uncle Vurb can get picky but he is not a Voom basher.

Mike

mkwillia said:
I watched a little Wealthtv last night and even though some of their stuff are upconverts, I found myself watching a couple of show back to back. It is a niche channel but the content is interesting. Thanks Voom.

About vurbano, he is cool. His comments are made with the intention to help Voom not to hurt it. Yes, sometimes Uncle Vurb can get picky but he is not a Voom basher.

Mike
I watched the show about the nissan z cars. Very interesting but an upconvert.

vurbano said:
Contrary to what some may think of me here, I have aquired the nickname of Voombano at AVS. Any of my criticism of Voom here is in hope that Voom will listen and learn. Not to slam it. I try to air my complaints here, not there.
I for one appreciate your comments and commentary; and I appreciate your VOOM posts on that other site too.

adding BBC America and the other new channels is great. As a Brit Ex PAT I love the UK shows. In truth the channel line up seems better to me than the D*s. SD or HD it's a good package and if Voom can get the word out they have the potential for millions of subscribers not thousands. It seems foolish to put some of these obscure channels in the VaVoom package because it alienates good customers with the standard package

Note to Sean- this goes slightly OT but please bear with me.

txdude said:
Deeann,

My post was not about marginalizing people who post about issues they have with VoOm. If you read my post carefully, you will see that I acknowledge that I too have issues with VoOms service.

Nice spin there! Deflection via implied inattentiveness. In turn- and using the same technique, please see the part of my post where I state "While I agree the Voom service has overall met my needs better than other offerings available...." and am addressing the first part of the post. I could not find any issues regarding Vooms service you mention in that post besides the fact you mention it's "not perfect and their service is not flawless" and PQ issues (while adressed in your post) are "highly exaggerated".

My goal in the post in question was to provide a fair balance for others who are trying to decide if they should even try the service.

And that's great! And it's also very easy to post positive experiences without trying a negation of those who's opinions may differ, or who have had different experiences than yourself. For the benefit of the doubt perhaps you *really* didn't mean it to come off as (to paraphrase) "Hey- there's these people who are complaining- don't worry folks, they complain about anything" but that's how it reads to me (and to at least a couple of others, seeing the followups).

It is important for current VoOmers on this forum to realize that the success or failure of VoOm may be largely dependent on this community, especially at this stage. Like it or not, anyone that is searching for information on VoOm is undoubtedly going to end up reading these forums. Every rant and every rave posted here can have a direct impact on VoOm acquiring more subscribers or not. This means that it is just as important and just as “constructive” for us to mention the good stuff as it is to mention the bad stuff.

Well...if that's the case, it's more than a little concerning. While this forum is probably the most active place for Voom subscribers to communicate with each other, and at times a non-traditional way to contact Voom if not using direct means (phone, email, letters) as some of the employees have been known to watch and participate, and Sean and Scott have also passed issues noted here *to* Voom- if the service *itself* is largely dependant on posts to a message board as to whether it stays or folds, it's probably in more trouble than originally thought. This is just one source of information- I would hope that advertising, magazine reviews and real-life (non internet) word of mouth would play a signifigant factor also. The internet in general, while a convienient way to find and relay information and speculation, isn't the world.

That having been said, some businesses *are* fully dependant on the internet as that is their sole/or primary purpose of existance, but Voom isn't one of them.

As for the "sweeping social statement" you refer to, I suppose I could have limited it to the confines of this forum, although IMHO it scales quite well beyond those confines ;)

I'm glad you are admitting to a "sweeping social statement" for what it is (even with the winky emoticon).

But back to the topic at hand, new channels/channel bundling/service tiering options. As a subscriber I think that the additions of the new channels could be very beneficial in pulling bringing the sub numbers up, but am still confused as to why BBC-A (which I am happy to see, I'd missed it) is in the basic package and something like "DIY" is bundled with premiums.

"but am still confused as to why BBC-A (which I am happy to see, I'd missed it) is in the basic package and something like "DIY" is bundled with premiums"

A CSR's comment (relayed by someone here - forgot who) said that it basically boils down to what it costs Voom for the channel, i.e channels that cost them more go into the VaVa package.

Is that plausible? I guess so; do I have any way of proving or disproving it either way? Of course not, is there much anyone can do besides sending customer service a message and letting them know your displeasure with it? You tell me, I say that’s about all anyone can ever do with a large company, that or cease doing buisness with them.

Good point (contacting Voom (again)). I don't think the last time my husband called (03/15) and spoke to a supervisor to inquire about the bundling that their cost per channel was mentioned, just that any new channels *could* be considered at the same level as the top-tier premium movie channels at the level of HBO, etc.(whether or not they have advertisements). This was after the new Discovery channels were added to VaVaVoom, but before BBC-A, Noggin and the other ones were added to the basic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts