VOOM AMC-6 Status

MarcelV

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 24, 2004
VOOM AMC-6 Status?

Does anyone know if Voom started to test the uplink to AMC-6 yet?
This is February and the plan was to have the first channels available
in March.

(Sorry, added ? mark because I for sure don't have info... :) )

MarcelV said:
in March.
And Do You belive in the Easter Bunny, Tooth fairy and Santa TOO ????

Dog6869 said:
And Do You belive in the Easter Bunny, Tooth fairy and Santa TOO ????

Are you telling me they don't exist?

And how was your post informative? Why do you feel the need to respond?

MarcelV said:
Are you telling me they don't exist?

And how was your post informative? Why do you feel the need to respond?
All I am Saying is that VOOM has ben saying that there DVR was going to out NLT June 2004 and here it is Feb 2005.. Then they said it will be out by march 2005 and now they are saying June 2005... I have some swamp land here for sale in SE La... IF you belive anything this company says.. I would not hold mybreath waiting for it.. I Do hope it does happen I Do!!!!!!! I belive that the MPEG 4 is going down the same road.... Lots of talk and no action!! I have been a VOOMer since march 2004 ......

I would think that if the sale of rainbow1 goes through then the leases on AMC6 would be the only means to broadcast.

That's what makes this whole damn situation vague. With MPEG4 who knows what could still be accomplished?

This is pure speculation, but even if service goes dark, the commitment to AMC6 is there; did it have an out clause and is it a long term commitment?

It is feasible, how ever unlikely, some one could still bring services up again. After all we are still pointed at 61.5.

I know this presents itself as wishful thinking....

MarcelV said:
in March.

They've been testing for a couple of weeks now.

What I don't understand with the AMC 6 sat is how the Motorola receiver will log 2 satellites with different LNB configurations and different local oscillator frequencies.

With the current firmware and selectable settings and user programming in the deep hidden menu the receiver is only configurable for one sat reception at a time. The multiple sat configuration would have to be a firmware upgrade to the receiver it's self. Can this be done with a sat download or must it be done by a computer link to the EPROM?

If the Voom programming migrates to AMC 6 and only uses that sat then no problem. The current receiver can be re set to the parameters needed in the deep menu. Of course a new larger dish and a 10750 LNB will be required to receive the lower power signal from AMC 6.

With MPEG-4 coming, it makes since to delay the PVR if it requires hardware mods. I would rather wait for it and have it work than get one like the Dish 921 or 501 when they first released.

Indy said:
What I don't understand with the AMC 6 sat is how the Motorola receiver will log 2 satellites with different LNB configurations and different local oscillator frequencies.

With the current firmware and selectable settings and user programming in the deep hidden menu the receiver is only configurable for one sat reception at a time. The multiple sat configuration would have to be a firmware upgrade to the receiver it's self. Can this be done with a sat download or must it be done by a computer link to the EPROM?

If the Voom programming migrates to AMC 6 and only uses that sat then no problem. The current receiver can be re set to the parameters needed in the deep menu. Of course a new larger dish and a 10750 LNB will be required to receive the lower power signal from AMC 6.

Have you considered that maybe they are not planning to upgrade subscribers equipment to receive the different signal type coming off AMC6 but are instead planning to offer Voom HD programing as a package to cable providers and transmit the programing to them via that sat. Others have suggested that the HD programing pack for cable might be their big idea for Voom, but using AMC6 gives them a viable way of transmitting it don't you think? I could be wrong, as I am not sure if the transmission over AMC6 would be compatible for re-broadcast, but if so this could their plan. At this point anything is possible and all discussion of Voom's future is purely speculative.

Facilitating reception of more than one bird is easy. DirecTV and DishNetwork utilize this scheme. A software rewrite is required to facilitate this. It will have to be done if we are to experience the additional channels we have been told to continue to expect. This, by the way, is all based on existing MPEG2. MPEG4 was/is to be implemented Q4'05.

AMC6 is supposedly already in our line-of-sight

uboatcmdr, cool avatar!

I thought that AMC6 was going to require a superdish to catch both birds?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)