Voom and network HD

qwacker2

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2004
It seems the Olympics brought up a HD issue I haven't found discussed with Voom - why doesn't VOOM have network HD. I suspect it is because that don't want to deal with the waiver issue - a hugh can of worms, as far as I can tell, since HD waivers haven't been addressed by FCC. But I would think if VOOM is the HDTV leader, they would address the issue. I kept VOOM thru Olympics to get coverage, and instead got a "upgrade" channel - my local channel gave me day late HD coverage I never watched.

I know NBC and now Fox are getting coverage on D* (in addition to CBS). If VOOM is really a HD leader, get network coverage and push legislation for local HD coverage (we are your constituancy). I need ABC HD for MNF.

I've been a Voom subscriber for only 3 months now, but am about to switch back to cable dur to the lack of network channels offered (my local cable co. offers 21 HD Channels, including the local HD network feeds). Voom insisted on trying to install an "upgraded OTA antenna" to see if I could get my locals over the air, but I am skeptical and have already scheduled a cable install for the end of the month. There are over 600,000 potenial subscribers in my area (Lehigh Valley, PA), but only a handful of Voom customers because there is NO over-the-air network coverage (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, etc.) available. I completely agree with your thread, and I think this is Voom's major shortcoming. From what the installers I've met have said, this is the main reason they are removing Voom systems and I am sure there are millions of potential subscribers in the same situation as in my area throughout the country.

I will let you know that no satellite company can offer "Network Channels unless you meet the criteria that is set forth by the FCC. I may be wrong but I believe you must be greater that 70 miles from a local station and/or can not pull in a signal using an antenna. I was wanting to watch the Olympics on NBC HD when voom offered but I was told that I couldn't since the network affiliate in this area is not owned by NBC and I am too close to the station. I can't get the NBC over the air and I went and bought a bigger antenna and an amplifier to go with it. It really has nothing to do with the satellite company's its the FCC. Something about local channels losing advertising revenue or something to that effect. Who knows? I hope I am telling the story right.

1. Waste of Bandwidth

2. Most people need waivers, only the few that live out in the sticks, or people in cramped apartments, need this. Most people do not.

3. If Voom offered to give you a free upgraded OTA let them?

4. You could always keep Voom for more HD, and just subscribe to cable for the networks in HD. Here in S. Fla, Comcast offered all locals via cable for $15, as a basic package (with HD too).

5. It has been my experience that cable PQ kinda sucks.

Dvlos said:
1. Waste of Bandwidth

2. Most people need waivers, only the few that live out in the sticks, or people in cramped apartments, need this. Most people do not.

3. If Voom offered to give you a free upgraded OTA let them?

4. You could always keep Voom for more HD, and just subscribe to cable for the networks in HD. Here in S. Fla, Comcast offered all locals via cable for $15, as a basic package (with HD too).

5. It has been my experience that cable PQ kinda sucks.

Cable PQ with Charter Cable REALLY REALLY Sucks here and when I called to get a box with a DVI output it was like I was asking for a frigg'n brand new Hummer from them. First rep did not even know what it was and told me component was better. God they suck :no

Here is my take on the HD networks. In my opinion, Voom should carry

NBC-HD
Fox-HD
CBS-HD
NBC-HD
WB-HD
UPN-HD
PBS-HD

in O&O markets and available to those that can get a waiver.

I agree that most people in O&O are already can get these via over the air but there are exceptions where customers on apartments or coops or based on landlord regulations cannot put up an over the air antenna. This will also put them equal to the competition (from a competition point of view).

I do not see them adding these until they get more space in the 72 degree bird and the bigger dish is released.

In my case, I live in an O&O city for most of these networks and can get them over the air. However, there are two PBS and NBC that are multicasting and therefore their over the air signal shows a lot of pixelation and artifacts. When VOOM got NBC-HD for the olympics I noticed that the satellite feed was much better than the over the air signal. This may happening to others in other markets where the over the air signal is compressed too much. Here in NY there willl be a lot of people that will benefit from this since most of these networks are transmitting at low power since the World Trace center tragedy. So there may be various reasons why these should be carried by VOOM. Some will not be impacted but I am sure some will.

StewartFan said:
I will let you know that no satellite company can offer "Network Channels unless you meet the criteria that is set forth by the FCC. I may be wrong but I believe you must be greater that 70 miles from a local station and/or can not pull in a signal using an antenna.

I'm only 45 miles from the stations. I can get their broadcasts OTA analog just fine. Its because I'm in a valley that the OTA digital signals cannot reach me. I had no problem qualifing for the Olympic feeds.

Even if you are O & O does not mean you can get the networks,I am O & O for CBS-Detroit but I am Grade B for Toledo,Ohio,guess who said no.

bnl107 said:
I'm only 45 miles from the stations. I can get their broadcasts OTA analog just fine. Its because I'm in a valley that the OTA digital signals cannot reach me. I had no problem qualifing for the Olympic feeds.
This being the case, it might be that the digital stations are at low power and eventually they will go to full power... that could solve your problem... then again, I prefer HD myself, so I would try to afford both Cable and Voom if possible, to get as much HD as I could...

Madtown HD Junkie said:
Cable PQ with Charter Cable REALLY REALLY Sucks here and when I called to get a box with a DVI output it was like I was asking for a frigg'n brand new Hummer from them. First rep did not even know what it was and told me component was better. God they suck :no

I concur: PQ on Charter Cable in Greenville, SC was awful, and their customer service was even worse. However, the Motorola HD cable box I had for a few weeks had DVI output (I didn't use it as I didn't want to spring for an HDMI/DVI adaptor).

Greenville (+Spartanburg, Anderson, Asheville) is their third largest market nationwide with almost 300,000 subscribers, but they still can't get it together on the most basic services!

CDH.

I don't know if it still works this way but: back in 2000 I was only 10 miles as the crow flies from the network towers, but due to rolling hills in the way, I could not receive an adequate signal via an antenna so a guy came out and hooked up a signal meter to my antenna and verified that it was too low to receive a decent signal. He faxed the results to Dish and I was able to receive the distant Nets even though my local networks refused to give me a waiver. Does it still work this way?