Voom announces intent to introduce a HD DVR in the summer

Sean Mota said:
The Dish has 2 LNBs and it will require a switch (if you nee more than one receiver). If you only have the DVR then you don't need a switch but just the Dual LNB. Yes, two tuners for Sat and 2 Tuners for OTA. More like a 2-room Voom installation but going to one box.

So how will it work in my case when I asked the installer specifically to now use a diplexer but he did it anyway? I have a two room install and only two lines running from my dish that's 40ft up by the way. What will I do?

Do NOT get VOOM - BIG MISTAKE

I just got Voom and seriously regret it. The customer service is HORRIBLE. Not all stations are available and get this, 2 of my favorite networks are actually something else. When trying to get it fixed, I was told I would have to wait a week and a half to get someone out here! This after I'm down several hundred dollars to get this crap installed.

I was DirectTV before and had NONE of these type of problems. Also, I am a big TIVO fan as well. But be prepared, local stations will not record from Voom to TIVO. HD will not record high def as well.

Sure you get some extra HD channels, but be prepared MOST of these channels are old movies etc. that were never HD to start with. The rest is mindless dribble that you will never watch.

All in all, Voom is a waste of time and money. I'm trying to get them to refund my money and pull it out because they can't deliver what they advertise. They are not willing to do so. Guess they need all the money they can get cause from what I hear I'm not the only one bailing.

mikeuva123 said:
As this will be my first post to this group I will start out by saying that I was at CES 2004 and watched the demos on the Motorola PVR. The concept that they use is different than what Direct and Tivo have done. Voom's PVR will have a central server and various thin clients. For example if you have a HDTV in one room, a SDTV in another, and your stereo in a third room; then you will have three separate boxes with one being the server and the other two will have streaming cabability. This system will also include features similar to the Direct Tivo's unsupported home media option. You will be able to stream various data sources from your home computer using this system.

On another note I currently have 2 Direct Tivo systems in my house with an addional 1 HD Direct setup box and 1 SD Direct setup box. I now have the dilema of whether or not to switch to Voom or try to run it in paralell with Direct. If anyone has done a pro / con analysis I would be interested in it.

Lastly, I have been anxiously awaiting the HD Tivo and Halo 2 since CES 2003 both of which have up till now been continoulsy delayed. It now appears that I will see the HD Tivo first. Last I heard Voom was going to try to have their PVR system availabe as early as July of this year but we all know how that goes!

Thanks,
Mike

I've been with Voom since mid July and everytime I talk to a CSR. (Like 15 times) they've all said by the end of October. That's the date their being told so time will tell. I'd rather them take longer and fix a lot of the bugs that to deliver it soon and then have us all $itch about how terrible it works.

well, I'd hope they don't push it off too long. That's one of the obstacles to adoption they face right now. the DVR is important in itself, but the other issue the DVR should solve is a cost effective solution for SD tv's in a home. Those are two of the 3 reasons I still have DirecTV in addition to Voom (the other is fox sports cleveland, which should get solved soon).

I have two concerns.

one is that they charge too much for the DVR - I have a lifetime DirecTivo subscription, so I have no monthly fees ever. If they price it right, they can have a significant price advantage. One Voom DVR with two HD clients and 3 SD clients should be cheaper than two HD DirectTivos. The voom SD clients should be a small fee to buy and no monthly fee to use.

The other is more a concert about Voom. They need to get their DVR out before DirecTV adds significant HD content. Otherwise people will make the decision to drop Voom and get HD DirecTivos.

I didn't jump on the hdtivo b/c it's too expensive. Otherwise, I'd be with d*. B/c I know eventually d* will have more hd channels. Meanwhile, I can record ota hd and hbo, which is where most the good content is anyway. The fall season is starting, and there are lots of shows I want to at least check out, which I can't do b/c of the scheduling conflicts.

Imagine how cool voom would've been if they'd had a dvr from the get go.

I keep saying this...but if we don't get some DVR info soon, I'm seriously going to be looking elsewhere. I don't know how I'll make it this fall without one.

Check the main forum HeavyC, Sean and 1080i are pretty sure the target date is this year, before November, in other words in the next 2 months. The question is this, when this releases, if it has a lease option, will they be in a position to handle all the orders?

Will VOOM actually have the cash on-hand to do a lease option? I would think that they need to have subs purchase the boxen to conserve their own cash, and that part of the hold up has been negotiating a pricing scheme.

Later,
Bill

Dvlos said:
Check the main forum HeavyC, Sean and 1080i are pretty sure the target date is this year, before November, in other words in the next 2 months. The question is this, when this releases, if it has a lease option, will they be in a position to handle all the orders?

Actually I was told by Voom phone reps several times recently that they're targeting November... :shocked

Until we get something from VOOM, I'm not believing anything. Of course I'd love to be surprised. Honestly, the only reason I'm not with DirecTV yet is because it would cost me about 1500 dollars to switch (HD Tivo, SD Tivo, Regular HD Receiver)

barth2k said:
I didn't jump on the hdtivo b/c it's too expensive. Otherwise, I'd be with d*. B/c I know eventually d* will have more hd channels.

My sentiments exactly, I would go out on a limb and say 60% of the people who have Voom have it for this reason. D* is just too expensive to start up. Imagine if D* would have thrown out a special for new customers earlier this year: Lease the new HD Tivo for $20 a month w 2 yr Agreement. Wow, Voom would be in real trouble.

But I'm here and (knock on wood) I've had no major problems with Voom. Not a lot of lockups, maybe 4 times since July. And the rain fade problems I had were fixed with the bigger dish they installed for free. Voom has been good to me so I will stay around to see what happens.

I know one thing, I need my DVR! And I'm tired of paying for both Dish and Voom just so my wife can record Y&R and watch the Food Network when she get's home. Oh, and being able to see a Boxing fight would be nice too...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)