Voom announces intent to introduce a HD DVR in the summer

There is the new version of the HomePlug ethernet technology that uses your home's electrical wiring. The 1.0 version doesn't have the bandwidth, but the new 2.0 is being called HomePlug AV and it's supposed to be able to stream live HD content over your home's electrical wiring just using wall sockets.

jimmykce1 said:
Anyone has a release date on the voom DVR?

If there were a known or even rumoured release date, that would be about the only active topic on this forum. Guesses range from mid-summer to Fall - recalling that Fall ends in late December. The boxes exist - they are made by Motorola - but they are likely still sorting out some issues such as getting WMP9 compression added. I expect that there are some DVR's being tested now.

Last time I talked to CS which was a little over a week ago he said it would be late summer...Lord knows CS wudnt fib to us!! :eek:

Stalker said:
Last time I talked to CS which was a little over a week ago he said it would be late summer...Lord knows CS wudnt fib to us!! :eek:

Technically, summer ends in late September...

Excellent, I have been looking for a demonstration of the new system... now I am getting really impatient!

Very cool... I can't wait! :cool:

astrossuperfan said:
Sweet.... Now I REALLY want it. BTW, this video couldn't be in HD also? Voom is slacking! :D

It would be a VERY big download if it was in HD... That and your PC/videocard would have to be powerful enough to decode WM9 or whatever compression codec was used, otherwise it would skip frames big time ;) .

txdude said:
It would be a VERY big download if it was in HD... That and your PC/videocard would have to be powerful enough to decode WM9 or whatever compression codec was used, otherwise it would skip frames big time ;) .

So what you're saying is I couldn't watch it on my tmobile sidekick? Bummer.

I have merged various topics related to the DVR. All comments before the release of the DVR should be kept in this thread.

I wonder if this DVR will have a FireWire port to be able to record and play D-VHS like the Samsung T165 for Direct. I so want to put HD content on a hard copy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts