Voom announces intent to introduce a HD DVR in the summer

Also, I complained about the totally weak remote...He said that VOOM gave them less then 3 months to build and ship the STB boxes to consumer
That may be a valid excuse for the early software, but it's definitely no excuse for the remote. I'm sure many members on this forum could have come up with a better remote design in a day, if not in a few hours.

Remotes don't grow on trees. Even with todays advanced manufacturing 3 months from design to production is a herculean effort. Sure the remote could be better but considering their timetable I'll give them a pass this time around. The PVR on the otherhand better blow my socks off.

-Chris

Firewire Coming

seandudley said:
From what I read someone else say, since they will be using MPEG4, they can't do a firewire out. According to them, Firewire out is just compatible with MPEG2. I guess what they are saying is that the DVHS decks record MPEG2 and can't record MPEG4. Maybe they can do a Firewire out anyway, and a future DVHS deck will be able to record MPEG4?

It seems firewire is coming, see below:

In the Spring 2004 issue of HDTV Etc. on page 42, it states the following:

"... The system currently uses the Motorola DSR550 HD-STBs. By the third quarter of 2004, there will be a new STB that will have PVR Networking Server functionality (the PVR 580).

"The plan is to include IEEE 1394 in the PVR 580, but the 550 will not be upgraded for 1394. When VOOM eventually broadcasts in MPEG-4, there will be a 'customer easy' upgrade to MPEG-4 by the third quarter of 2004 (via firmware and a new STB card that will be delivered to the subscriber), to enable the broadcast of more than 200 channels, including at least 39 HDTV services.

[THIS IS THE PART THAT CAUGHT MY EYE]

"According to VOOM, the firmware upgrade for MPEG-4 already took place on the existing 550 units"

Wilt has stated many times that he/himself is pushing for the firewire. I personally be very surprised if it is in the final product. As we have seen there is a trend in the industry for HD DVR not having firewire -- HDTIVO no firewire, 921 firewire a bust, etc.

Especially given the move to WM9 and MPEG4. It obsoletes the current DVHS owners, who are the ones really screaming for it. You MIGHT be able to use the Mits DVHS as a bit bucket, but no one is sure. The JVC desk would likely be screwed completely. Current PC emulators likely would be out also. You might be able to use some of the new blue ray stuff, but who knows. I find it flabergasting that in the end, only cable companies are going to have firewire. Who'd have thought...

I'm already salivating for this DVR setup. It sounds so incredibly cool. With this and hopefully some more Sports content in the future, VOOM will have my business for years to come.

Can't wait but...

Just remember, when it comes out it'll surely be buggy. I hope we don't see a bunch of, "I HATE VOOM," messages when it comes out and locks up like every other new piece of equipment. I'll gladly help beta test it for them as I can live with the lockups. I don't mind a little pain if I can be a part of the creative process.

The Rickster

Yeah, where can I sign up to Beta test? I'd gladly do it. I'll put up with the bugs to support such an innovative design. If it succeeds, it instantly vaults VOOM to becoming the home DVR leader.

Will everyone who rents the equipment be upgraded? Will equipment rental go up? Will it be a whole new box or an upgrade to the ones already out (please be a new box with no lockups, screen issues, and a good guide
I wouldn't count on that. If the DVR is made available for rent, it sure won't be at $9.99/mo.

If you want to beta test, get a job a Cablevision / VOOM.

Oh, I bet they'll have a pretty good deal for early adopters. To me, this is the platform it sounds like they want all of their customers to be on eventually.

madpoet said:
Especially given the move to WM9 and MPEG4. It obsoletes the current DVHS owners, who are the ones really screaming for it. You MIGHT be able to use the Mits DVHS as a bit bucket, but no one is sure. The JVC desk would likely be screwed completely. Current PC emulators likely would be out also. You might be able to use some of the new blue ray stuff, but who knows. I find it flabergasting that in the end, only cable companies are going to have firewire. Who'd have thought...

JVC decks can be used as bit buckets also. You can still capture TS stream you just won't get any video from the video output. You would need STB to decode it.

sure won't be at $9.99/mo

That's what my cable company charges for a dvr. I'm not going to rent the receiver and dvr. That is stupid and too expensive. I figure we all are paying more than dish or directv now with half the content. Not counting the rental fee for the equipment and no PPV, and half the SD channel ( I know, I know we have a few more exclusive HD channels :) ).

I don't see why it wouldn't be around the 9.99 a month mark. Maybe 9.99 for the PVR, and 4.99 a month for each Thin Client.

Technically, the mirroring fee would go away since it's all on one box, and the extra receivers are essentially just thin clients. So we would all catch a break per month if you are currently using more than 1 receiver.

Honestly, they could charge me 14.99 a month or even 19.99 a month for the service and I'd gladly pay it. At that price it would be equal to 2 receivers now; however, minus the mirroring fee I'd come out saving 5 bucks a month. It's a super attractive solution.

JVC decks can be used as bit buckets also. You can still capture TS stream you just won't get any video from the video output. You would need STB to decode it.
I'm not so sure about that. Have you tried recording and playing back a non-ATSC compliant bitstream using a PC? I couldn't get that to work on the 30k. I think there is something on the firmware that prevents it.

That's what my cable company charges for a dvr.
Yes, and what DVR do they offer? :) Does it have the ability to playback and record three streams simultaneously? Does it have four tuners? What size hard drive? Most cable companies are deploying the Motorola 6208 HD DVR for $9.99 to $14.99/mo; it has a single tuner and 80Gb (7-9 hours of HD) capacity.

They are not going to lease a $800-$1000 STB at $10/mo. Every lease customer would want to trade in their existing $400+ STB for a $1000 DVR, and VOOM can't afford to do that. They might offer it at $19.99/mo or $24.99/mo, but I doubt it.

If Voom wants to really attract new customers, they will lease that DVR when it's available and it will be at an attractive prcie. It has the potential to bring in new people in droves if it really delivers on what they say it will. It will be imperative they get that technology into as many homes as possible as quickly as possible.

At $9.50/mo lease, it will take four years of lease fees to pay off the current VOOM STB. But instead of leasing for four years, you want VOOM to turn around and swap it out for a $800-$1000 DVR, which will take 7+ years to pay off at $10/mo.

Even at $20/mo DVR rental, you'd have to be a subscriber for three to four years before the rent would pay off the box. Yes, they make money on the programming, but margins are not that significant (if Dish and DirecTV are any indication) on the $39.95/mo package. Dish had to average well over $50 per subscriber to turn in positive EBITDA, and that's without leasing an expensive HD DVR to any customer, let alone every customer.

If the DVR rental were only available to VaVaVoom subscribers at $19.99/mo or $24.99/mo, then maybe. But no way will they possibly make it available at $10/mo for $39.90/mo subscribers.

I don't know how they'll do it, and I wouldn't expect it to be 9.99 per month. It would still be a great deal at 19.99 a month or even 24.99 a month.

Ken F said:
At $9.50/mo lease, it will take four years of lease fees to pay off the current VOOM STB. But instead of leasing for four years, you want VOOM to turn around and swap it out for a $800-$1000 DVR, which will take 7+ years to pay off at $10/mo.

Even at $20/mo DVR rental, you'd have to be a subscriber for three to four years before the rent would pay off the box. Yes, they make money on the programming, but margins are not that significant (if Dish and DirecTV are any indication) on the $39.95/mo package. Dish had to average well over $50 per subscriber to turn in positive EBITDA, and that's without leasing an expensive HD DVR to any customer, let alone every customer.

If the DVR rental were only available to VaVaVoom subscribers at $19.99/mo or $24.99/mo, then maybe. But no way will they possibly make it available at $10/mo for $39.90/mo subscribers.

Your "theory" is full of one big hole - It sure does not cost Voom 400 per box for the current box and the same applies to the DVR. So when you know how much each box actually costs voom out of pocket then you can comment like you know what your talking about, until then, let people speculate and we'll see what happens.

Boxes...

Keep in mind the business model for Voom is not to make money on the STB/DVR, they make money off the programming. I do not know what their margins on the programming are so I can't say much about that. I can say they're certainly not paying the same amount for the STB/DVRs as what you and I would pay. They're buying them in bulk and getting a discount. Sure, they still may be paying a lot of money but their goal is to gain customers, not make a profit on the STB/DVR.

Look at the cell phone industry. Companies will give you a phone for little or nothing. You can't tell me Verizon is paying nothing for those phones. Sure, they have some phones they're selling for a few hundred dollars but try giving your cell phone provider a call and tell them you're switching to another provider because they're offering you a better phone. I can almost garantee you will receive a phone (close to equivalent to what you're saying you're getting) for next to nothing.

Bottom line is I think it's silly to speculate what Voom is going to charge for this box as it's not even out yet and none of us really knows the situation behind the scenes. You never know, Motorola could have a vested interest in Voom which would mean it would make sense for them to give Voom a better price. I could go on with the possibilities but I really don't know what's happening.

The Rickster

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)