VOOM box Serial Numbers and Manufacture Date

bookwalk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
After a problem with an unfinished install due to a bad receiver, I started doing some investigating and realized it was not a new receiver (remote all scratched up) and wondered how old the receiver was.

Called a VOOM Csr (Joe) who said the serial numbers starting with 0859 are newest and those with 0698 (the one I got) are oldest and I should aks for the newest.

However, I talked to another CSR and they said just the opposite, so I am really wondering which is correct and what is the difference between the two versions of VOOM box as to:

Software version
Other options/differences/problems

I cannot verify the S/N of the new receiver being sent to the installer, but, since the first one was dead on arrival, I am really leary.

Don't worry,. I am on my 4th receiver as 3 of them went bad. I am not a Motorola fan having had a 4DTV BUD receiver.

There is no difference between new receivers and old ones. There is only 1 receiver model and that is the one everyone has. It doesn't matter what the preloaded software version is as you will get the newest one either at install or that night.

With a 39% churn rate in the beginning I wouldn't be surprised that people will start getting used and refubished equipment.

If you bought it I would demand a brand new one. If you're renting, well, you don't own it so you get what they give you (sort of like the days of cable boxes, you didn't always get a new one). I guess that is one advantage of being an early VOOM adopter, you got brand spanking new equipment :D

i was looking at my stock after seeing this post early and i have a split between both s/n and i have not had a problem with them yet. but i have had Once in a blue moon one to come straight out of the box and not power up but this does not happen ahhhh maybe 1 in 300 box or more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)