voom.com...Alive!!

if the deal falls apart on Monday

TommyBoyTX said:
When I pay it I will have service all the way till March 28th. :yes
and since they already indicated that the soonest it would shut down would be the end of March, I think there is very little risk that you would lose out whether the deal was successful or not, and I do want Voom to continue

You may want to wait until Tuesday before paying the bill just to confirm that

As someone in charge of a number of websites, I think everyone is reading way too much into this. Executives are notorious for being flippant with what they tell webmasters, often speaking in very blunt language before thinking. Press releases tend to have much more scrutiny before making it to the media, but the immediacy of the web tends to short-circuit that process. Most startup companies have many more marketing people than IT people and the IT people have the required privileges to do updates immediately.

My guess is that one Dolan got hot under the collar and said something foolish to the webmaster, who quickly obliged. In hindsight, that Dolan decided it was a foolish move and just as quickly had the webmaster rescind the annoying edit. Execs who have never written a press release often feel no compunction telling an IT person what they want on a site. Just as often, the IT person takes them literally and it ends poorly.

Here is my take on this. Chuck saw my comments and he is going to kick his son out.

There are 2 facts that I know more of.

1.- Do not even think that the 1-866 number has anything to do with all this mess.
2.- The website being up only proves that James is packing his stuff.

We are open 24 hrs... we never stop taking orders.

We hope for the best. Plus if you are a D* customer they are going to ask you to buy all brand new equipment for this summer.... have fun with the decision on monday!!! :D

agregjones said:
Execs who have never written a press release often feel no compunction telling an IT person what they want on a site. Just as often, the IT person takes them literally and it ends poorly.

You hit the nail on the head. I think you are dead right what happened. A very foolish and compulsive move on James' part.

It is Cool seeing that The VOOM.com site is up and I can get to my account info........ But it is not allowing new customers to sign up!!!

"A very foolish and compulsive move on James' part."

And you know it was Jame's decision and action how? :)

Sorry, but I actually believe they were right to do what they did. I think the board could have a lot of troube with the SEC had they not shut it down.

SEC: "So...help us to understand this. You announced you were shutting down one of your business units, your father decides to put forth an offer for pennies on the dollar, and you continued to use your resources to allow for expansion of that business unit at CVC's expense?...Hmmmmmmmmmmm..."

I think James is possible the ONLY player in this Greek Tragedy that's been painted as being even more evil than JL...

:)

Lob

agregjones said:
My guess is that one Dolan got hot under the collar and said something foolish to the webmaster, who quickly obliged. In hindsight, that Dolan decided it was a foolish move and just as quickly had the webmaster rescind the annoying edit. Execs who have never written a press release often feel no compunction telling an IT person what they want on a site. Just as often, the IT person takes them literally and it ends poorly.
Something I had been thinking but hadn't read anyone else mention was that it had to be one of the most un-professional web messages I could immagine. No 'we regret to inform you', no 'unfortunately', no 'we thank our dedicated customers'.... Just 'no new customers, and we're shutting down by the end of the month.'

It wasn't the message that bothered me, but how it was stated. No way that came from a Marketing or PR organization...

Go Bears said:
This is what J. Dolan and Rutledge SHOULD have done on Monday 2/28 ... leave the website up and running but remove the ability to order new service via the website. Instead, they had the webmaster completely destroy the value of the website (and thus hurt the goodwill/marketing potential of the business as a whole) by putting up the childish "VOOM is no longer taking customer orders and will shut down by the end of March."

You are so right

subdude212 said:
Up again now.

Yep. We are between rounds and the ref sent each party to their respective corners. Match to resume in a few. :yes

I dare someone to send a Uhaul truck to Cablevision for James' possessions and have the driver tell them that Charles Dolan wants James' stuff gone before he returns from florida..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)