Voom Giveth & Voom Taketh Away

AndyMon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Long Island, NY
Found it interesting, reading the small print on Voom's brochure, that they say that "...the STARZ, HBO and Cinemax Plus Packs are provided via satellite capacity that is only temporarily available, our regulatory authority to transmit this programming may expire at any time, and we may be required to cease providing this programming to customers without notice.

Very nice. I don't think people would be very pleased to wake up and have a substantial portion of their paid for programming suddenly gone. I would imagine that Voom is actively seeking more permanent satellite space to avoid this but being a CV affiliate who knows?

It all depends on the FCC auction I guess.

Not very wise to put your prime programming up on slots that are being borrowed temporarily.

Stargazer said:
Not very wise to put your prime programming up on slots that are being borrowed temporarily.

The FCC requires them to disclose that the programming may be temporary, because of these 2 temporary transponders. I think they have to everything necessary to keep these transponders, or it could ruin the whole thing.

They only have these slots for 180 days unless the temporary license is renewed. Or if the aution comes first.

rtt2 said:
They only have these slots for 180 days unless the temporary license is renewed. Or if the aution comes first.

So who is going to give them $750 for a service that only has a 180 day potential lifespan!?!?!?! :shock:

They'd probably just increase compression on the other transponders to make space for those premium packages.

Seems to me that they done made up their mind on what they are going to do if they were to lose those two transponders, to take the channels off of the lineup (although it would be better if they would compress the signal). The special satellite they have launched allows them to get more channels with less space than what DirecTv and Dish Network's satelites will allow due to the newer and different technology being used.

The bidding war for the 2 unassigned transponders on 61.5 will be very interesting. I wonder how high they will go for them.

Don't you think Cablevision will bid whatever is necessary to keep these transponders ? It seems to me that their business would be ruined if they lost these channels.

Even if Charlie had no need for them now he may have a need for it in the future or be able to use these transponders to do some type of bargaining in the future with Voom to share some satellite space to trade in the future for other transponders or to make a deal to be able to use some of the transponders Voom has for allowing them to use some of Dish's transponders.

AndyMon said:
Found it interesting, reading the small print on Voom's brochure, that they say that "...the STARZ, HBO and Cinemax Plus Packs are provided via satellite capacity that is only temporarily available, our regulatory authority to transmit this programming may expire at any time, and we may be required to cease providing this programming to customers without notice.

Very nice. I don't think people would be very pleased to wake up and have a substantial portion of their paid for programming suddenly gone.
This is the special 'conversion option' in which you go from Voom to Foom with no software upgrade needed whatsoever... it's a feature!

The FCC gave them temporary authority to use the channels. The disclaimer required part of the FCC's decision.

E* had been using the channels on temporary authority as well, and they should have had a disclaimer per FCC (I never saw one). E* used them for PPV's which by their very nature could be removed at any day.

I believe it is a bad decision to put long term packages on those transponders. They should only be used for easily cancelled offerings. There is no guarantee that they will even have them the full 180 days ...

JL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)