VOOM Goes BOOM - update Dish Drops all 15 VOOM Channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
To get back to the thread, does anyone have any info on the Dish/Voom legal battle?
I haven't found any new court docs, decisions etc.
Thanks

People can also follow the case via the "First amended complaint filed in VOOM vs. Echostar Lawsuit" thread.

FYI, VOOM and Echostar are back in court on the 12th of December for a compliance conference. The real fireworks in this case are more than a year away...unless both parties reach a settlement. So this thread will still be active well into 2010.:tux:

Anyway, here is the Court Ordered stipulation from 10 September just to put this case into perspective:

Initial expert reports by: June 12, 2009 (was February 13, 2009)
Rebuttal expert reports by: July 10, 2009 (was March 13, 2009)
Depostions of experts completed by: August 21, 2009 (was April 17, 2009)
End date for all disclosure: August 21, 2009 (was April 17, 2009)
Depositions shall end by: August 21, 2009 (was April 17, 2009)
Compliance Conference: August 21, 2009 (was April 17, 2009)
Note of Issue: September 18, 2009 (was May 14, 2009)
Complete discovery and inspection: November 28, 2008 (was July 30, 2008)
Depositions shall begin on or after: November 28, 2008 (was July 30, 2008)

Here's the latest info

to HDRoberts: "but it was a lot more rare than on HDNet Movies, TNT, TBS, and ABC Family. Also, take the way they show repeates. TNT just had a weekend of Lord of the Rings."
A lot of channels in your PRO list interrupting by ads each 10-15 min what last 3 min :(. What is absolutely unacceptable for movie perception. [Poor directors of the movies]

Does anyone still watch commerical interrupted and cut movies?

It's been at least three years since we have watched any movie in SD. With uninterrupted movies in HD on some Dish channels, and especially Netflix rental movies, we never watch an SD or HD interrupted movie anymore, and would never consider an edited version. As for pay-per-view, even in HD, it's such a bad deal I can't bring myself to do it.

It's called a DVR folks. A few presses of a button and there are no commercials. Though sometimes they make convenient places for bathroom/snack/etc. runs.

I also sometimes prefer to see the edited version. I don't see the attraction of having people swear at you.

And my list was just a list of the maligned channels by the Voomers just to show that there was one important thing they did better than Voom. Better programming choices, even if interrupted by commercials. There is no channel that could not stand improvement.

I thought you all said you don't criticize the choices of others? Sure feels like the channels I want to watch are being criticized.

DVRs are not even remotely, remotely, remotely (no pun intended) an answer to dealing with commercial interruptions for me when I watch a movie. I don't want to have to take any action or deal with any interruptions from my entertainment center when I am watching a movie. I don't like commerical interruptions at all, but particularly during a movie.

Also, HDRoberts, a few pages back you were trying to nail people for posting opinions, rather than facts...your assertion that HDNet Movies is better than any of the Voom movie channels is an opinion. While I like HDNet Movies, I prefer Film Fest (and the former World Cinema).

Thanks for all the reference material. However since it is now December I was checking to see if I might have missed anything from the November court dates.

Wrong, Charlie wanted out and he said so.

Prove to me that he didn't drop Voom because customers didn't want to pay extra for it.
Is it just a coincidence, that when put in to it own tier and subs dropped voom, that is when Charlie wanted out. Could it be that Voom wasn't producing what they promised and a majority of viewers drop them to save $10. That would push me to want to drop them.

Most people don't want 90% of what we are being served now.

Your attitude is that if X percent of people don't want it, the rest who do be damned, but only remove Voom. Not the crap channels we are stuck with now.

Voom was all about Charlie trying to avoid payments so he would have money to pay his other bad gambles off, like Tivo.

You are clearly wrong but you can't stop yourself from bashing anything about Voom.

It is called supply and demand. If the percent of people how wouldn't pay extra for Voom is bigger than Voom Lovers and Voom isn't cost efficient to keep to appease Voom lovers, then Voom will go bye bye.

Simple as that. It is called running as business. Yes, Charlie seems to have a tough time doing that, but that was a sound business decision. To top it off Voom gave him a way out by not meeting the spending agreement. I am sure you will disagree with me because you always think you are right, but like it or not Voom is gone for good.

Thats funny...but for some reason, I don't recall any peaceful, nostalgic conversation between Voom-Haters ever being interupted by emotive negativity on the part of Voomers...its always the other way around. As if the Voom-Haters simply can't stand the thought of anyone actually having the nerve to like Voom! So the haters must right the wrong! And make sure they interject ever colorful bit of negativity they can into ANY positive or nostalgic conversation about Voom they can! :eek:

There is a time and place for everyone to freely voice their opinions, Spatch, however one should ask themselves if this may be the right time or place to freely voice theres. Thets not confuse hatred on the part of Voomers, for what is really just perfectly understandable annoyance. This thread did not seem like it was established with the intent of starting a warzone topic. ;)

I didn't realize that the topic of this thread was "why we loved voom". I thought it was "VOOM goes BOOM" a discussion about why Voom is no longer on Dish.

The Voom trolls (voom lovers) just need to keep crying over spilled milk and when anyone points out how silly that is the Voom trolls (Voom lovers) cry even louder.

Well, you've accurately depicted about 90 percent of the posters around here... :D

But seriously, I don't think its too difficult to see how a difference of opinion can be considered disruptive to a peaceful nostalgic conversation, particularly when that interuption is in the form of a sarcastic pictoral telling everyone to 'shut the heck up', so to speak...

Thats why I suggested a Voom nostalgia forum or something. I too admit these Voom revivals can become a bit too much at times, but many people feel the need to still discuss the topic, myself included. If we have come to a point where certain subject is no longer considered relevant to an E* topic, or even possibly DISRUPTIVE to an E* topic, than its time to approach the problem constructively instead of destructively...

Just the thoughts from a weary poster who'd only desire is to have a peaceful conversation once in a while... ;):up

So I can't be nostalgic about the day Charlie dropped some dead weight. Seriously, if a separate forum was made for Voom nostalgia it would have about 10 members who posted all the time and it would contain more repeats than a Voom channel.

And final argument of real invader - names calling. :( Great !

We have a lot of other threads, why no swing into each one and begin pondering everyone out there ?!

I did watch Voom. I did like some channels. I never advocated fully yanking them, but advocated a consolidation of the channels. So I guess I'm not a hater.

Same here, But 8bitbytes is never wrong. If you don't belive that he will tell you himself, probably in a couple posts down from this one.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)